• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper shot size/source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican65

32 Cal
Reaction score
Guys,

Still learning here, and I appreciate all the kind assistance. Forums like this are sure a valuable resource sometimes.

I have a mid 1800’s twist barrel shotgun that appears to be sound enough to shoot, after cleaning and inspection. I’d like to use it for small game, squirrel, rabbit…and grouse, quail, maybe dove, Turkey.

I’ve tried to search here in the site, but not having much luck, despite the wealth of knowledge. But…where can I source the proper shot…I think cold chilled lead shot somebody mentioned in another thread?

And what size for squirrels and rabbit?

What size for quail/grouse?

Turkey?

Thanks much,

Dow

Just google { shot for reloading shotgun shells ] and you will have numerous choices For squirrel's and rabbits I like #6 shot for Quail #6 or #7 1/2 for turkey #4 or#5 depending on your guns choke and the distance

Dad??

LOL Pop swore by #4 shot. I have shot # 6 cuz I got a bunch from a buddy, Hooked on 4 though for sure. Steel came along and I shot 2 for a bit then just stayed home. I miss shooting ducks but have yet to get back into it with BP and lead free. Too old to set the deeks and today's kids are too lazy!

Last edited:
I suppose that you know shot sizes run from the bottom up. #4 shot is larger than #6. #6 is larger than #7 shot and that is larger than #9. Etcetera.
Also, of course, some areas require shot made of some nontoxic material. Lead is not allowed. Know your local laws on that.
I've been hunting small game for over 60 years. Here is what I like. I only use #6 lead shot for rabbits, squirrels, quail, grouse, and pheasants. For turkey I go a step or two higher and use mostly #5, sometimes #4, but #6 will also work. Head shots only on turkeys. I stopped hunting waterfowl when lead shot was banned, but when I did hunt ducks I generally used #4 lead shot and #2 for geese. For smaller game birds such as doves and woodcock I like #7 1/2 lead shot, however since I have plenty of #6, that works okay, too. Ah heck. #6 works for just about everything. I even killed a bobcat once with a head shot of #6.
A bag of shot can usually be purchased at most of the larger sporting stores that sell guns. Not cheap as it once was!

Thank you very much guys! Sounds like I need to get a hold of some #4 and #6 and that’s about it.

This gun I’m using is an 1850’s/60’s twist barrel shotgun. Is there a particular type of softer lead shot that would be better for this gun over another?

Dow

Any lead shot is safe in your barrel, as is bismuth if you want to hunt waterfowl, or have non-tox restrictions where you hunt.

Chilled lead will be heavier per pellet than hard, or magnum, shot but I doubt you'll tell the difference in your bag regardless what you can find.

Ballistic products is a pretty good source for shot. They carry all types, and often have shot shipping deals. Right now they have $19.99 shipping on up to 50 lbs of lead, or steel, shot.

Thank you very much guys! Sounds like I need to get a hold of some #4 and #6 and that’s about it.

This gun I’m using is an 1850’s/60’s twist barrel shotgun. Is there a particular type of softer lead shot that would be better for this gun over another?

Dow
#4 and #6 should cover all the bases and serve you well.
I would like to see a photo of your shotgun.
Do you know about the Vintage Gunners?

#4 and #6 should cover all the bases and serve you well.
I would like to see a photo of your shotgun.
Do you know about the Vintage Gunners?
Thanks very much everybody…I’ll just have to mess around with it I guess…get some 4,5, and 6 and just see.

Rancocas, here’s a picture of the ol’ girl. And no, I haven’t heard of the Vintage Gunners…but I’ll look them up for sure.

Barrels are Birmingham proofed mid 1800’s…and says Richards…but it’s probably a cheaper Belgian knock off. Barrel is also labeled Laminated steel, but it’s definitely twist steel barrels. I don’t believe they were the same process for making barrels…but I’m a novice and could be wrong.

Dow

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1956.jpeg
    IMG_1956.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I believe laminated and twist are the same . Also I have the same gun but mine was made in the 1930 or 1950 era I cant remember which but it is a Richards also but does not appear to be Damascus like yours

I believe laminated and twist are the same . Also I have the same gun but mine was made in the 1930 or 1950 era I cant remember which but it is a Richards also but does not appear to be Damascus like yours
I’m not sure. I’ve done a lot of reading, and have come across comments stating that twist barrels are some of the weakest…and laminated are the strongest…compared to Damascus or twist.

Literally Tons of Belgian tubes were used by British gunmakers as well.

Tex,
If you ever had a chance to look at an Eley Shooter's Diary, it would shed a lot of light on shot sizes for various game.

In there are pages with energy required for clean kills, and what size shot retains that energy, etc.
Knowing this helps you choose a shot size that gives the densest pattern, plus sufficient energy for clean kills.

Example, ......if a certain bird, partridge say, took 3 hits with pellets producing 1 ft/lb of energy, at 40 yards, and you look down what size shot will retain that energy at 40 yards, then you will find out No 7 will do that.
To shoot a heavier shot will produce much more energy than required, but you get many less pellets in the same shot charge, so pattern fails before penetration.

hope this helps and doesn't confuse!

Guys,

Still learning here, and I appreciate all the kind assistance. Forums like this are sure a valuable resource sometimes.

I have a mid 1800’s twist barrel shotgun that appears to be sound enough to shoot, after cleaning and inspection. I’d like to use it for small game, squirrel, rabbit…and grouse, quail, maybe dove, Turkey.

I’ve tried to search here in the site, but not having much luck, despite the wealth of knowledge. But…where can I source the proper shot…I think cold chilled lead shot somebody mentioned in another thread?

And what size for squirrels and rabbit?

What size for quail/grouse?

Turkey?

Thanks much,

Dow
I'm a big fan of #5 for turkeys, squirrels, and pheasant. I adjust the load for the difference between turkey and the other two.
If I had the opportunity to go for just partridge and/or other smaller birds I'd go with #6 shot.
I do like #4 for turkey and pheasant for its energy and that less and larger shot does the job means less shot in the game, but, I'd like more shot in my pattern without having to up my load a whole lot. Thus the compromise to #5s.

Back