• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how are you supposed to fill this powder canister?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawksley flask with a screw off top

Hawksley.jpg

Last edited:
Guys.

It has three tiny screws on the outside of the pouring assembly.

There's a clue there...

Use a witness mark to put the assembly back in the correct location.

Waaaaaaaaaaay too much time to do that. Small plain funnel is the way to go.
JMO
Larry
Come on Springer that is just plain silly. Larry and the guys saying to hold open the valve and use a funnel is the proper answer. I've had these flasks for years and never took them apart and always used a funnel.
You can check the full level by simply shaking the flask to see how much space is left. And if you over fill you simply dump the powder back into the canister.

I picked up a set of funnels at the Dollar Store and use the smallest one.

Funny, I've been shooting black powder since the mid 1970's and I've never had any issue with taking the 3 little screws out of a flask head to fill it. Never lost a screw, never had a problem putting the flask head back on and re-installing the screws. After reading some of these posts I must be gifted LOL. Using some type of funnel to fill an assembled flask certainly works, much like filling a powder horn, but from my very first one I've simply taken the flask head off to fill a metallic flask. It just seemed so much easier than fiddling with a funnel and trying to guess how full the flask was. To each his own I guess.

PS. I do own a couple antique flasks that the heads cannot be easily removed (screws had the heads filed flat apparently) and if I were to use them I would use a funnel just like I use on a horn. I don't use them though, they just sit in a cabinet with other antiques. I also have a couple antique flasks with the screw off heads like the one that a poster showed, they are nice and would certainly be easy to fill if I wished to get them out and use them.

Funny, I've been shooting black powder since the mid 1970's and I've never had any issue with taking the 3 little screws out of a flask head to fill it. Never lost a screw, never had a problem putting the flask head back on and re-installing the screws. After reading some of these posts I must be gifted LOL. Using some type of funnel to fill an assembled flask certainly works, much like filling a powder horn, but from my very first one I've simply taken the flask head off to fill a metallic flask. It just seemed so much easier than fiddling with a funnel and trying to guess how full the flask was. To each his own I guess.

PS. I do own a couple antique flasks that the heads cannot be easily removed (screws had the heads filed flat apparently) and if I were to use them I would use a funnel just like I use on a horn. I don't use them though, they just sit in a cabinet with other antiques. I also have a couple antique flasks with the screw off heads like the one that a poster showed, they are nice and would certainly be easy to fill if I wished to get them out and use them.
Funnel Hater. Funnel Hater.

How dare you remove three tiny screws to fill your flask.

How dare you, Sir.

Said in my best Greta Thunberg voice.

No No No No No

Learn to fill it the through the spout hole or buy a decent flask with a screw off top
Yes, those screws are tiny, almost impossible to find should you lose one and do not thread into a blind hole, meaning if you thread them in too far they will fall into the powder.

No No No No No

Learn to fill it the through the spout hole or buy a decent flask with a screw off top
Hey, it works for me. I don’t completely remove those screws, I just loosen them and the whole cap/ spout comes right off. Been using this method for well over two years with no issues at all.

Last edited:
I use an RCBS powder funnel. Fits perfectly over my 60g spout. Do NOT take the little screws out. You’ll have a mess and probabl won’t get them back in. I think some saying to do that has never done it before. Use a funnel.

View attachment 202634
I just took a series of 5 pics showing you that I can remove and replace my powder funnel lid at my leisure. I do not appreciate being called a liar. I will need to make several separate posts to prove my point, so stand by.
IMG_9987.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see, there are no issues with me removing the top of my powder flask and then re-attaching it. As I've stated, all you need to do is loosen off the set screws and then remove the top of the flask. This should shut down the doubters asap.

As you can see, there are no issues with me removing the top of my powder flask and then re-attaching it. As I've stated, all you need to do is loosen off the set screws and then remove the top of the flask. This should shut down the doubters asap.
No one is doubting you can do it, but if you can unscrew the spout or put the RCBS funnel on as above in a fraction of the time with no risk of losing or stripping screws etc. etc.

WHY would you?

I have a 30-30 case soldered to and old metal powder can cap. After unscrewing the flask spout, the mouth of the 30-30 case fits in to the flask and holds the gate open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back