• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wasting powder & caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever heard of Powder Flasks-?? Those with adjustable tops are Useful..Best if you can find one are the double shutter rifle type. Sometimes with several pre-set amounts on the tops..As are Medical plastic sample tubes. Come in different sizes and are cheap by the 100 lots. Need for cleaning should be Minimal with correct charges and GOOD Powder.

I have a series of spouts for my flask from 60 to 100 gr and one at 30 gr. I normally just tilt the flask, fill the spout and pour down the barrel. A lot of times I will fill loading tubes up the day before heading to the range. When hunting I have the rifle loaded and carry 2 or 3 speed loaders in my bag.

There is a combination flask and measure that fills the measure and no powder is wasted. You can search for the valve and make a cap for a powder container and use a 1/2" diameter measure. the following is one of my recommendations and a link to the flask offered by RMC-OX Yoke:
So what do you do with that measurer? You set it and shove it into the spout end of the flask, fill, release the button closing the valve and presto, the measurer is full. Is that about right?

Last edited:
That is a valve that can be installed on a can of powder or fit to a horn or is part of a flask. The 1/2" diameter powder measure fits into the valve. The valve is opened to allow powder to flow into the measure. The valve is closed, the measure removed with powder filled to the top an ready to be poured down the barrel.

Important rule I use , others have said this , Hate to see a fellow pour powder from a flask , or flask measure directly into the barrel. This could be dangerous. Recommend pouring from flask into measure , then into bore for safety. Hate to see you have an accident.
After using black powder and cannon fuse to crack some pretty good sized boulders (with about a 200gr charge in a drilled hole packed with powder , paper, mud)…. I wouldn’t give a flask even the slightest possibility of going off in your hand ever.

This is why pre-measuring powder at home and putting it in plastic tubes has its benefits.

As for wasting caps clearing the flash channel.....no way. Not at .15 a pop.

I don't drown my breeches and bores in oil, so there's nothing to clean out.

Yup, especially here in UK, where they are 23c each........

Important rule I use , others have said this , Hate to see a fellow pour powder from a flask , or flask measure directly into the barrel. This could be dangerous. Recommend pouring from flask into measure , then into bore for safety. Hate to see you have an accident.

Quote from a 2016 post -

'I used to shoot lot of N-SSA black powder events and they had strict rules on loads and loading procedures. NO flasks/horns allowed, all loading from a ammo box with a leather flap that had to fall over the box when not actively loading from the box, etc. Very safe overall.

Each pre measured load was in a plastic tube with the bullet being the end cap. After firing the musket/percussion cap was left on the firearm to prevent a draft from loading from the muzzle. The pre loaded tube was withdrawn from the box, bullet pulled by hand or teeth, powder dumped into the bore from the side of the muzzle taking care to avoid having your fingers over the muzzle. Once the powder was dropped a lubed minie ball was inserted on top of the muzzle, fingers placing it in place avoiding the muzzle as best you could. Your ramrod was withdrawn from it's spot in front of your position, propped against bayonet stuck in the ground. Hold the ramrod from the sides and push/ram the ball home atop the powder charge.

Your musket brought up from the ground, hammer thumbed back to half #### and a new cap placed on the nipple. Once the sights were brought up to the target you thumbed the hammer back to full #### and took your shot.

I believe the loading sequence was derived from civil war manuals, was safe overall. I had a load of powder go off after I had dropped it in the bore and while I was placing the bullet in place on the muzzle. Got tattooed by some of the powder and most of the force was a loud 'pop' that got some folks attention but did no harm. I was told afterward that it was unusual for the load to take that long to go off as it usually did PDQ after it dropped down the bore.

Pics of the loading tubes: 540 888-3595 Winchester Sutler Page for Civil War reenactors to safely learn to load and shoot and cleaning your civil war musket and/or revolver There were others also, one being a rubber type you squeezed to get the bullet out.

The main reason behind it was SAFETY as you didn't want an occurrence if it was avoidable. That's the reason you loaded from the side of the muzzle, no body parts on front of it. No thumbing the bullet deeper into the bore, that kind of thing.

For hunting purposes there are tubes made that will also hold the cap of your choice along with the bullet and powder. Seems like a good way to have prepped rounds on your person in the field.

The times I've seen guys use a flask was to charge a revolver cylinder where there had been no rush to fire and some used to remove the cylinder and load it on a portable tool to hold the cylinder and ram the ball home when ready. Insert cylinder back into the frame and then place the caps on the nipples.'

I have noticed, especially on Youtube videos, that when a lot of shooters are loading black powder guns, they will pour quite a bit more powder into a powder measure than necessary, then just knock off the top dumping the "excess" on the bench, or the ground. I swear some people waste enough after ten shots to recharge the gun again. I have found, since powder is approching the value of gold, that I now am more careful about overfilling the powder measure. How about you? Anyone fill their measures over a smooth, clean surface so you can recover the overflow?
And, I see shooters preparing for a shooting session that will pop three or four caps on a nipple to ensure that it's clear. A bit unnecessary I think. I realize that some people have money "to burn" but not me.
But hey, it's their powder, caps, and money so have at it.
I weigh everything and use Lanes tubes , no waste and make everything last ! Traditional is no longer affordable or obtainable in a lot of states . Powder/lead and muzzle loaders are all being regulated
into oblivion by design ! /Ed

Hickok45 does that in his muzzleloading videos, he'll pop a half dozen musket caps before he loads.
Just cause someone posts a video don’t make them an expert. Popping 6 caps prior to firing a load is just stupid. Stop dunking your musket in a tub of grease/oil, learn how to properly clean, you won’t need to do that.

OK, just looked. The tubes sold for black powder typically hold 120 grains or more. Not suitable for my needs. There are a bunch more tubes sold, but they're specced in ml. What ml size should I look for that would accomodate me (25 - 65 gr.)?
Check out lab supply for their plastic collection tubes with lids. Mine are small and will hold up to 90 grains. The small tubes hold about 35 grains.

After using black powder and cannon fuse to crack some pretty good sized boulders (with about a 200gr charge in a drilled hole packed with powder , paper, mud)…. I wouldn’t give a flask even the slightest possibility of going off in your hand ever.
I have seen it. It was a powder can can with a valve on it. Thank goodness. The powder can just came apart and the perpetrator looked alittle like Yosemite Sam

Back