• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wasting powder & caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and that's why I'm working on some method that's hopefully functional but not necessarily PC for pre-measured charges. I don't particularly like the plastic tubes. The ones I bought are way too big and are a waste of space in my range kit. I'm working on disposable paper powder cartridges for each load that I use. Maybe including the ball; maybe not.

Buffalo Arms sells glass vials that fit perfectly into a MTM shell holder that holds 25 vials. I’ve been using them for the last five years and have only broken one so far. They are nice and small and glass is not prone to static discharge. I’ve have actually thrown 5 or 6 in my pocket and have not had the vials crack. Yeah they come with a cost and are probably more today than when I bought them; they do make range shooting efficient.
I also use loading blocks caliber specific for my 36, 45, 50, and 54 round balls patched and ready to go. They together all
IMG_1789.jpeg
work well no fuss no muss and no spilled black gold.

That is hardly the fault of the plastic tubes! Why not buy some the right size?
I have tried the plastic tubes but find several bits remain stuck to the tube wall. Static charge the cause?? Have been hesitant to use as a result. Plus, compared to paper tubes, they a bit on the pricey side...

OK, just looked. The tubes sold for black powder typically hold 120 grains or more. Not suitable for my needs. There are a bunch more tubes sold, but they're specced in ml. What ml size should I look for that would accomodate me (25 - 65 gr.)?
your on the computer it will convert for you or just use your measure to fill it as far as being to large/holds to much a fine blade hack/coping saw to cut them any length you want ????

From Buffalo Arms website
Will cost approximately 26 dollars plus the cost of the MTM box plus shipping.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/2-dram-water-proof-glass-vials-pvc2.html?qty=100
Now you can take your pre-measured black powder charges in glass vials for your muzzleloader to the range, holds over 150 grains of black powder. These are non static glass vials with a waterproof screw top, be careful of the plastic vials seen elsewhere that are not made of non static plastic. This will keep you from having bulk black powder on the line for safety of you and those around you. Popular with the competitors in black powder muzzleloader matches. Shown with item #TDCFWH, MYMS252030 and Swiss black powder which are not included, but a good way to fill them.

These fit perfectly in our MTM ammo boxes item number MTMS252030 or click here to see MTM 25 Round 20 Gauge Ammo Box. The ammo box, funnel & black powder is sold separately and is not included with the vials.

I bought a box-full of the rolled paper reenactor tubes on ebay, and have enough for my forever.
We use them in the Texas Army. Some events allow pouring powder and then ramming the paper tube, or else we drop the empty tubes on the ground.
You can fill the tubes with your own powder loads at home, and you're ready for the field.
For our salutes and battle reenactments, I like about 100 grains of 2F or 3F, and gets LOTS of smoke and flame.
It looks GLORIOUS! :thumb:
In 1061, we reenacted Bull Run/Manassas on the 100th anniversary of that battle.
We used the cardboard tubes that we normally used, sans ramrods.
Fired so often and so fast that the barrels on our Springfields quickly grew too hot to touch any of the metal. Lots of "war wounds" consisting of blistered hands!

What is the right size? The little vials I bought I think hold 120 though I never used that much. I have loads in the boxes for each caliber I shoot starting with 35 grains of 3F up to 80 grains of 2F. Every drop of powder ends up down the barrel. I would not limit myself to a certain size you should still measure your powder IMO. That’s 50 grains of old 3F Goex

IMG_1790.jpeg

Put a little alcohol in the breech. Wipe the nipple with a pipe cleaner. Blow out with the air compressor. Run a patch. Gun is ready to leave the house. Load powder from a flask into a 60 grain spout which is then dumped into a powder measure set at 100 grains and loaded into the rifle. No caps or powder wasted.

Hickok45 does that in his muzzleloading videos, he'll pop a half dozen musket caps before he loads.

Admittedly I'm kinda bad about the excess powder thing, at my club's range it's pretty dimly lit under the pavilion and it's hard to see that the measure is getting full sometimes until it's overflowing.
I think a lot of his videos were made back in the good 'ol days of cheap caps.

When filling my measure at the range, I inevitably have some powder spill.

So what I do is when I am all packed up and about to drive off, I throw a match towards the bench and watch the conflagration fireball erupt like Vesuvius over Pompei.

(not really but it is the thought that counts)

The Doc is out now. 😎

Hickok45 does that in his muzzleloading videos, he'll pop a half dozen musket caps before he loads.

Admittedly I'm kinda bad about the excess powder thing, at my club's range it's pretty dimly lit under the pavilion and it's hard to see that the measure is getting full sometimes until it's overflowing.
There is a lot going on in a musket flash channel; I'd pop one just to "prime" it.

From Buffalo Arms website
Will cost approximately 26 dollars plus the cost of the MTM box plus shipping.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/2-dram-water-proof-glass-vials-pvc2.html?qty=100
Now you can take your pre-measured black powder charges in glass vials for your muzzleloader to the range, holds over 150 grains of black powder. These are non static glass vials with a waterproof screw top, be careful of the plastic vials seen elsewhere that are not made of non static plastic. This will keep you from having bulk black powder on the line for safety of you and those around you. Popular with the competitors in black powder muzzleloader matches. Shown with item #TDCFWH, MYMS252030 and Swiss black powder which are not included, but a good way to fill them.

These fit perfectly in our MTM ammo boxes item number MTMS252030 or click here to see MTM 25 Round 20 Gauge Ammo Box. The ammo box, funnel & black powder is sold separately and is not included with the vials.
Amazon also has them . A variety of sizes and colors. Search waterproof glass vials.

Waste not want not. I load my measure from a flask and very seldom feel the need to pop a clearing cap.
So this leads me to ask another question!
I always tap a little to get the powder to settle. To me that’s the total volume all or most of the airspace is taken up. I hear some folks actually weigh their powder but I think that’s beyond what is required for flintlock accuracy. Depending on the powder I’m using at the time if I don’t tap the powder measure I’m shooting a light load. I am always able to add more. I’m guessing 5 grains worth. Maybe the Swiss caviar which is spherical doesn’t require as much but they all settle down some. Obviously for all shooting doesn’t matter but for target it would I’m thinking. For hunting generally loads would be larger to begin with.

Back