• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how are you supposed to fill this powder canister?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quit using those flasks years ago and use Dixon and Hawksley pattern flasks for ease of filling.

Attachments

• 20200419_234731.jpg
    20200419_234731.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Your question has been well answered above. I’ll just add that you can buy an assortment of different sized screw in nozzles, 30, 40, 50 grain, etc to use if you wanted. Thumb over the top, turn upside down, open the hatch, shake, close, and pour.

Plus getting the screw in funnel makes filling easy.
Loading directly from the flask to rifle is not allowed in sanctioned matches.

I quit using those flasks years ago and use Dixon and Hawksley pattern flasks for ease of filling.

Interesting, where do you find them?
I'm curious, too. I ignored the Hawksley flasks for years, while they were available. Just last year, I got it in my mind that I would like to get one, and they just aren't available anymore here in the USA. Henry Krank has them, but won't sell to American customers. At least he didn't when I inquired a few months ago. I found a lovely antique flask for sale from a British gunsmith. I think it had been restored, so the collector value was diminished, but this put it within an affordable price range for me. It looked beautiful. I asked about buying it, and the proprietor responded with a very cordial note, but regretfully stated he could not sell or ship to the USA. He suggested asking a friend in Britain to buy it for me and ship it to me, which is evidently legal (we're talking about an empty powder flask, here), but I don't know anyone on that side of the water well enough to ask.

In any event, a Hawksley flask with the "flameproof valve" and adjustable spout is the penultimate flask, in my opinion. I would like to have one.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Laaaaaaaaaaazy to do it any other way.

Remove the entire assembly and you can actually seeeeeeeeeeee when the flask is full.

Takes nooooooooooo time at all.
Ha ha, yes I am lazy when I can do a chore faster without any hassle. When the measure shows powder you are filled. Dump the measure back into the supply container. Besides, if this old man drops one of those teeny weeny itzy bitzy screws, forget ever finding it. 😂
Thanks for the reply
Larry

Why anyone would remove the three screws to fill one of these flasks is beyond my comprehension.

If the spout is not removable due to corrosion, fix it and buy a screw in funnel as above, if you do not want to trouble yourself with fixing it properly, get an RCBS or other powder funnel with the taper inside and put it over the spout and pour.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Powder-...741&sprefix=rcbs+powder+funnel,aps,128&sr=8-4

I swear you guys can complicate the simplest things.

I'm curious, too. I ignored the Hawksley flasks for years, while they were available. Just last year, I got it in my mind that I would like to get one, and they just aren't available anymore here in the USA. Henry Krank has them, but won't sell to American customers. At least he didn't when I inquired a few months ago. I found a lovely antique flask for sale from a British gunsmith. I think it had been restored, so the collector value was diminished, but this put it within an affordable price range for me. It looked beautiful. I asked about buying it, and the proprietor responded with a very cordial note, but regretfully stated he could not sell or ship to the USA. He suggested asking a friend in Britain to buy it for me and ship it to me, which is evidently legal (we're talking about an empty powder flask, here), but I don't know anyone on that side of the water well enough to ask.

In any event, a Hawksley flask with the "flameproof valve" and adjustable spout is the penultimate flask, in my opinion. I would like to have one.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
You can find them at Atlanta Cutlery or on ebay.

Many of the skinny spouts can be unscrewed then turned backwards and stuck in the hole to hold the gate open. I thought the groove that many had near the end was to help hold the gate open and the spout in place when so used, but I have no idea if thats correct. It makes filling easier. Ive used paper funnels and small brass funnels, and taken the top off.

Removing the top isnt as much of an issue if you have a good place to do it, like a well lit bench, but they generally only go back on in the same exact screw locations they were originally at, implying they may have been hand drilled.

Those tiny screws are usually pointed at the end and screwing them down will drive the points into the relatively thin flask body, doing it multiple times if your not careful will result in numerous dents in the flask body.

IMHO those screws are only to be removed when you need to work on a flask, working on the gate or removing dents from the flask body etc.

I am fond of the original Dixon flasks but the Hawksley's that are violin shaped are pretty cool as well, original flasks are upwards of $150.00 and with all original items from the time period, PLEASE, if you do not know how to work on them find someone who does.

Years ago I removed those screws for some reason I cannot recall and lost one of 'em. Eventually I found something on the floor that looked like a screw and spent the next several minutes trying to screw a lead shot pellet into the hole. At some point, I rounded up a 10 Hastings Triplet and realized that the "screw" had no threads. Eventually I found the missing screw and replaced it.

I have another flask that has a removable butt end, which I can fill up and then use to fill the revolver flask spout to spout. Mostly I just don't use that flask though.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I would think that one of the guys from across the pond here would help a person out.

Might send a note to the Swiss folks in Arlington, TX to see if they have a contact that would help you out. They are nice folks there.

I would recommend either the Traditions or Pedersoli versions. The Cash funnel is well built, but the threaded section is shorter and you have to hold the valve gate open while you are filling the flask. The longer threaded section on the Pedersoli and Traditions funnels holds the valve gate open on its own. You have to depress the thumb lever while you are screwing the funnel in, but once the funnel is in all the way in there you release the lever and start filling.

Interesting. I have the Ted Cash funnel and it holds the gate open on my flasks. <shrug> (Off topic, but it also sits nicely in the mouth of a .44 WCF case for use when reloading them.)

I also like the non-traditional cylindrical CVA flasks made from a brass tube. The head or base can be unscrewed from the body for easy filling.

Interesting. I have the Ted Cash funnel and it holds the gate open on my flasks. <shrug> (Off topic, but it also sits nicely in the mouth of a .44 WCF case for use when reloading them.)

I also like the non-traditional cylindrical CVA flasks made from a brass tube. The head or base can be unscrewed from the body for easy filling.
Those are the flasks I prefer as well. I got one that fits nicely in my possibles bag... and if I can find it, I have an even smaller one. For a day's hunt, you really don't need all that much powder and divesting myself of the flask gets one more string off from around my neck and one less item for my shooter's necklace to tangle on.

I have an old cap that I brazed a 556 case minus the bottom into the center of the cap. Screw the cap on the can. Open the lever and invert. Shaking lightly helps too.
The neck of the case goes inside the tip.

View attachment 202111
Sad part is dont work on these plastic lid cans, what were they thinking? Oh yeah, cheap
Just melt a hole in the center of the plastic lid. Push brass cartridge through hole and melt plastic and smear around brass cartridge. Done.

Yep. For me, convenience trumps tradition when playing with powder.

That cap is held onto the body by three set screws. Loosen off the set screws, remove the cap/spout and fill her up. I have one identical to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back