• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey barrel ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone swaped barrels on a fowler or fusil? Can that be done by just locating tenons placement and drilling thru same holes the pins are in now. I'm justifying to imagine putting a turkey barrel on my fusil if I can ever find a barrel. Actually it wouldn't have to be turkey barrel but at least full choke. Turley barrel would be my wish but if I found a full I would take it. Thanks

Last edited:
The breech plug on the new barrel would have to be identical to the breech plug on the existing barrel and the touch hole would also have to be in the same place. The profile of the barrel would have to be the same with the taper or swamping being identical. If octagon to round, the length of the flats need to be very close to the same.

Is it possible to have two barrels be replaceable in the same stock? Yes. It will take some work and fitting to match the new to the existing more so than having the barrel underlugs in about the same position.

Crow#21957...@Flintandsteel has a great suggestion to have your barrel jug choked. Ask around for gunsmiths that have a reputation for producing quality jug chokes. There are jug chokes and then there are jug chokes. A quality jug choke produces great patterns and extended ranges.

Of course you can work up some good loads experimenting with different load combinations in your current smoothbore. Research, Read and Learn as much as you can about different load column combinations. Check out the "Skychief" load and others that have been successful for non-choked smoothbores.

There are other options but they all are pricey these days. Some folks get an old Thompson Center (T/C) Renegade and acquire a smoothbore barrel to fit it. then you have the option of swapping barrels. The issue here is that the smoothbore barrels for T/C are getting pricey and more scarce.

I once had this T/C combo of 2 barrels one .50 rifled and one .62 smoothbore. The smoothbore was a great squirrel and Turkey getter. They can be had in flintlock or percussion. mine was percussion.

Good luck on what ever you decide.
DanL

Back