• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smooth bore turkey barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron hall

32 Cal
Reaction score
hey guys what is best size of shot in a colerain turkey choke barrel for turkeys or best paterns and should i shoot lead or copper plated lead thanks and where is the best place to buy shot 20 ga

Last edited:
hey guys what is best size of shot in a colerain turkey choke barrel for turkeys or best paterns and should i shoot lead or copper plated lead thanks and where is the best place to buy shot 20 ga
For non toxic goto ballisticproducts.com
For lead and Steel rotometals is good.
As far as shot size I'm not am expert there but I'd hazard a guess at #2 or perhaps #4 with as heavy a powder load you can put under it without blowing the pattern......

Avoid rotos bismuth. It's cheaper but it's not consistently spherical or the right size.

Check your game regs for max shot size if there is one.
I like #5s for a balance between the pellet mass if #4 and the shot count/density of #6. If I couldn't get #5 I'd go to #4.
I don't have one of those choked barrels. But shot size is shot size, regardless of choke,,,,, or gauge.
i allways shoot 6s in reg shot gun but new to the fowler world

Somehow I ended up with a large coffee can full of #5 nickel plated shot and that's what I'm using this year.
With a choked barrel, is seems #5 would work fine, you just need to figure the amount of charge.
Robin

I've killed many, many turkeys with a hot load of #6 shot. I aim at the middle of the neck. A body shot is a waste of time, IMHO.
The copper plating makes the lead harder to deform, which is a great thing.

Do the metal can test. If it doesn't punch through the can get closer or add powder. Tuna cans are great.

Somehow I ended up with a large coffee can full of #5 nickel plated shot and that's what I'm using this year.
With a choked barrel, is seems #5 would work fine, you just need to figure the amount of charge.
Robin
5s are what most pheasant and squirrel hunters use.
Great find!!

My Kibler 58 is jug choked and loves #5’s for gobblers

Attachments

• IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back