• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 smooth (24 ga) loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaptrigger

32 Cal
Reaction score
All,

I have exactly 0 experience when it comes to smooth bores and shooting shot. I snagged a Kibler rifle and grabbed a smooth bore barrel for it in addition to the rifled barrel. Does anyone have any experience with one? It’s a 58 caliber. I just bought the cards and shot but couldn’t find any felt wads. I’m still looking and hoping to find some to put on top of the over the shot card like sky chief recommends. Just not sure what weight charge/ shot load I should start with.
If anyone can get me pointed in the right direction, I’m sure it’s you guys.

I’m hoping to find a dumb PA turkey in May!

Thank you!

I just tried the Skychief load this weekend in my .58 (24Ga.) using, 70 gr. ff, Hard card, 1-1/4 oz nickel plated #5 shot, thin card and the 1/2" cushion wad well soaked in oil. I didn't take a picture but it proved out to be every bit as effective as my Skychief trials for the 16Ga. I plan to use this year. I would not hesitate to use it.
Robin

I have never tried 4f in the barrel and probably won’t. Is that typo or do you actually use 4f in the barrel?
I use a powder that has is between 3 & 4f

My goose loads are 90 gn of the stuff and 2oz of shot in my 10g.

I refuse to use anything courser than 3f in any of my muzzleloaders.

I'm shooting flying game with my 24's. I load a 7/8-ounce scoop of 3F powder, two hard cards, a 7/8-ounce scoop of shot and an over-shot card. The results tell the story: 2 Prairie Chickens, 5 Sharptail Grouse, 17 pheasant, 7 quail, 16 pigeons, 11 chukar, 58 woodcock and 113 doves this season. Neither gun has any choke. I don't get a dense pattern with larger shot than #7, so I do not use them on turkey. For whatever reason when I try #6, 5 or 4 shot the pattern gets spotty, at least on a stationary paper target. They perform best with #7.5 or 8 shot.

60 gr. of 2F ( or 3F ) , 7/8-1oz. of #5/for squirrel or birds , 60-65 gr. powder , 1-1 1/4 oz. #4 for turkey . If patterns are kind big try some homemade shot cups , way to do., twist bottom closed , leave top. open , grass or such on top , I dont care for cards but thats just me ( tends to slug ) ...modern shot cups work too , I wrap a piece of masking tape around them once , ....play with it a bit and see how it shoots . Best of luck....

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_144550.jpg
    IMG_20231024_144550.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm shooting flying game with my 24's. I load a 7/8-ounce scoop of 3F powder, two hard cards, a 7/8-ounce scoop of shot and an over-shot card. The results tell the story: 2 Prairie Chickens, 5 Sharptail Grouse, 17 pheasant, 7 quail, 16 pigeons, 11 chukar, 58 woodcock and 113 doves this season. Neither gun has any choke. I don't get a dense pattern with larger shot than #7, so I do not use them on turkey. For whatever reason when I try #6, 5 or 4 shot the pattern gets spotty, at least on a stationary paper target. They perform best with #7.5 or 8 shot.
I have 6, 7 and 7.5 to try for shot. I’m thinking 7s might be the ticket for a uniform pattern but we shall see. Thanks for all of the advice and help. I’ll try some shot cups as well.

I shot my newly finished Kibler Colonial 58 today. I had a gunsmith in Kansas jug choke the barrel for me. I shot several round ball loads to get familiar with this new gun. I tried a few trial loads of shot also. Not a pattern session but just a lets see affair. All taken at 25 yards. All with 75 grains of Goex fffg. I tried 4 different wad stacks that have been successfully used in the past by me. #6 and #4 were used. The target without writing was. 75 grains 3F, 1 58 cal lubed wool wad, 1 1/8 oz #4 and topped with a dry 58 cal wool wad. This was a let’s just try it for giggles. I was happily surprised by the results. More to follow as far as load development. I did shoot off a shooting stick. Of course the Kibler function was spot on.

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 0
Great hunting!

Judging from your dance card, you are a murderous cuss. I bow to your abilities 👏👏👏

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2787.jpeg
    IMG_2787.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I used to use similar loads for turkey, 1 to 1-1/2 oz. of small shot (5,6,7-1/2) depending on the gun. No more. Over the years I've found that large shot kills better than small. Today I load #2 pellets for turkey, that's as large as the state will let me use but I'd use BB's if I could. Back in the old days I used 1-7/8 oz loads of #2 or BB shot to knock geese out of the air at 45-50 yards, they worked good! "If it worked on geese, it oughta' work on turkey" I told myself. Along the way a friend told me that if you're shooting 2's, you only need to have one pellet penetrate the bird to kill it. That may be optimistic but all around, the heavier pellets have worked well for me.

Back