• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, that little nightmare is over with, finally. Anybody else have dealings with Sitting Fox? Mine was not good. Some may remember my post back in March I think it was – OH The heartbreak – where USPS broke the stock. I had ordered and paid for a smoothbore Jaeger kit with a 1x36 Oct to round barrel, CM4 Stock, antique German style accouterments, etc. Well, what I didn’t mention was that NOTHING in that box was correct. The stock wasn’t a jaeger stock. It’s barrel channel was 42 inches and 1 inch wide. The barrel was 7/8x26. The lock was not a Davis Jaeger, it was an L&R Trade Gun type, MAYBE the trigger and the butt plate were correct but I had a mixture of steel and brass accouterments. So he had me send it back. Couple weeks later I’m asking what’s up. “Got all your parts here, cleaning up the barrel (Remember that), and order you a new stock.” Red flags right there – The stock he sent wasn’t the correct one anyway so why order another?

Months go by. “Got your stock, “Would you accept a 24 inch barrel?” NO. “How about a 54 cal?” NO. Give me what you advertised, what I paid for, or give me my money back. I’ve already figured out he never had this kit to begin with. But I tried to let him save some face. What else ya got? One of the finished guns, make me a deal on one of those. Nope. “Oh, wait, I found your barrel. Moved to Florida, then a hurricane. Things got a bit mixed up and some stuff got rusty…”

So he sends me another box. This one made it through USPS with damage. Stock appeared to be correct, except it was not fully inlet as advertised. Lock was correct, even the thimbles. Trigger guard, not so much. And the barrel. He sent me a Coleraine straight Octagon barrel without breech plug. Plug he had ordered from Pecatonica and had shipped to me. The barrel downgrade kind of irritated me. I got out me metal working/measuring tools and checked some things out. As it sat, the touch hole would have to drilled about .33 from the breech end of the barrel. However, the plug was drilled and tapped so that the breech would be at .55. That nearly a quarter inch. The stock didn’t allow for that at all and cutting a groove in the plug that big, uh no. Let him know I’m sending it back, want a refund including the shipping I paid TWICE. He’s hemming and hawing. I had to threaten legal action. Then he’s having trouble getting $$ into his PayPal account yadda yadda. I just returned the breech plug to sender. He gets his parts back and I give him a week. Hey you got your stuff, where’s my refund? “Oh that was Pecatonica, not me” Not the breech plug, the gun parts that were delivered to your porch on this date at this time… THEN I get my money back. Learned a lesson there.

That’s a shame. I understand he is a middle- man; gets an order from someone and them orders parts from vendors like TOW or Pecatonica River for the customer. Some orders come directly from the vendor to his customer, like you explained about the breech plug.
Hope it gets resolved for you.

Thank You for posting your experience. I was thinking about ordering a finished NW Trade Gun from them. I won't even think about them anymore.
If your considering a Trade Gun kit I highly recommend Clay Smith. If you want a finished Trade Gun there’s none better than Rob Miller. @Rob M. unless you can talk Mike @Comfortably_Numb into building one for you.

Wow. That's the second situation like this I've heard about them. I can tell ya now, if I treated my customers that way I'd be out of business pretty freakin' quick. Good news though, there are plenty other guys in the gun game that will do you right. Might even find a few of them right here. Glad you finally got your money back.

If your ordering from Sitting Fox but the parts are being shipped from Pecatonica them why not order from them. Have been ordering from Pecatonica for many years and have always gotten excellent service. Have always gotten better wood than I paid for.

Latest posts

Back