• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica swamped barrel tang installation problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the kit 3rd hand, still in the box, it was a TOW Haines kit. I bought the kit for $650 shipped, I ran the numbers on the TOW order form and came up with $1100, not counting the grade 5 wood plus TOW cutting all of the dovetails and installing the butt plate.

I did send the "P" place a picture of their lousy inletting, they didn't respond. Being 3rd hand, I didn't feel they bore any responsibility for a replacement but hoped they would be more careful in the future. There were at least a dozen other MAJOR flaws in the pre-carve as well.

I had to move the plate forward and up a tad. Have not drilled the lock plate hole through the bolster. Just now have penciled the approx position. Also I have not pinned the barrel, but the spots for those pins are marked on both sides the stock. After Monday when appliance/utilities servicemen finish repairs and updates I will, at last, set up to drill with press and hand drill. It is like walking to the end of a high dive and back.
Friday night 15 Mar 2024 Have put in 2 of the three barrel to stock pins (1/16"). Broke two bits in doing that and have only one bit left. Expect a pack of them Monday. Tedious work.

One way to eliminate them is to become a supporting member.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/index.php?account/upgrades
I'm going to become a member today. Meaning I will contribute some money. Follow-up...just now I figured out how to cancel the automatic yearly renewal feature I "accidently" (ahem) signed up for. It took some time and patience searching. I did not appreciate not being given a chance to see that I was acquiescing to that convenient feature of having my bank account yearly debited. In fact it ****** me off big time. So beware of that kink in the smooth supporting membership sign up and payment process. Finally, I notice there is a popup ad that keeps appearing at the bottom of this page. So, that is still a nuisance.

Last edited:
Not sure why your breaking your drill bits. But when I drill for barrel pins. I drill till it touches the barrel lug enough to mark it. This I do on both sides of the stock and for each lug. Then I remove the barrel an finish drilling through all barrel lugs. Then insert the barrel and push the pins in. I do this with a hand drill also. Works for me anyway. Others may disagree.

The first breakage was because I hooked the bit as I was removing the stock with barrel off the spike on the drill press. The second was when using a hand drill vertically. I had left the barrel in the stock. Bit had just gone through the lug (middle one of the three). I did not manage to keep the old fashioned twist drill steady. Today I'll just skip using the drill press, because it would be unwieldy to use it that far down the barrel/stock and because the distance between the marked spots on either side the stock is far less than even at the middle. I can eye ball this one. The packet of 1/16" bits arrived yesterday.

Friday night 15 Mar 2024 Have put in 2 of the three barrel to stock pins (1/16"). Broke two bits in doing that and have only one bit left. Expect a pack of them Monday. Tedious work.
I have broken drill bits using a drill and using a drill press. With a drill I couldn't keep the drill straight. with the drill press if I put too much pressure on it or the stock moved just slightly the bit would pop. I now use a jig I made that I can set up where I want the holes then lock the rifle in place so it can't move. I can then drill the hole using a light even pressure letting the drill do it's work, if you have to put a lot of pressure on it then your bit is probably dull and needs to be replaced. Then I slide the jig down to the next hole without taking the rifle out. Works great that way.

I have broken drill bits using a drill and using a drill press. With a drill I couldn't keep the drill straight. with the drill press if I put too much pressure on it or the stock moved just slightly the bit would pop. I now use a jig I made that I can set up where I want the holes then lock the rifle in place so it can't move. I can then drill the hole using a light even pressure letting the drill do it's work, if you have to put a lot of pressure on it then your bit is probably dull and needs to be replaced. Then I slide the jig down to the next hole without taking the rifle out. Works great that way.
Considering my age, this will be the first and last long rifle I will start and finish. If I were younger and were ambitious I'd make my own jig like you did. I am a mind to later do a flintlock pistol.

Considering my age, this will be the first and last long rifle I will start and finish. If I were younger and were ambitious I'd make my own jig like you did. I am a mind to later do a flintlock pistol.
I am 74 don't do much shooting any more due to injuries to my back and my right hand, only have about 60% use of my hand. Still building trying to use all the parts I have sitting around sometimes have to stop working on them and give my hand a rest so I don't have to be popping pain pills. Still have parts to build 4 more rifles and 3 pistols. Currently finishing a pistol and have a rifle in the works. I have a Douglas Barrel that I have had probably over 30 years. Pistols aren't any easier and they have unique pain in the ass features all there own. Good luck.

I am 74 don't do much shooting any more due to injuries to my back and my right hand, only have about 60% use of my hand. Still building trying to use all the parts I have sitting around sometimes have to stop working on them and give my hand a rest so I don't have to be popping pain pills. Still have parts to build 4 more rifles and 3 pistols. Currently finishing a pistol and have a rifle in the works. I have a Douglas Barrel that I have had probably over 30 years. Pistols aren't any easier and they have unique pain in the ass features all there own. Good luck.
In early mid July I'll be 82 with limited use of my L index finger and have to use a stick to keep myself upright. This morning I hand drilled the last 1/16" pin hole for stock to bbl lug from both directions and finally through the lug. Much to my disgust, when I tied to insert the (cut off and beveled) nail provided by "P" it did not hit the hole and went askew, creating a new hole. Maple tooth picks are plugging the old distant hole. Gap between stripped lock plate and barrel is tight--cannot pass a 0.0015 feeler gage-- fore and aft---but will do so at and below the pan. Obviously I must drop back five yards and punt.

That's a good job! I plan on ordering a kit from Pec. and now I know I will not get it precarved, just the barrel channel and the ramrod, thanks for showing this! Rich
There is nothing wrong with the Pecatonica precarves they can save you a lot of time. Just don't get it with the lock inlet which is an option.

There is nothing wrong with the Pecatonica precarves they can save you a lot of time. Just don't get it with the lock inlet which is an option.
Yeah, I agree, I've built some of Chambers' guns , some with it and some without and they were pretty good but I've read of people having problems with Pecatonica, than again maybe it was the person building it?
So, I agree with you , I'll order it with just the barrel and ramrod done.
Thanks, Rich

Latest posts

Back