• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I've screwed up....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenophon

32 Cal
Reaction score
Through sheer talent and natural brilliance I managed to break off a cleaning jag, with cleaning patch, in the barrel of a Traditions Woodsman 50 cal. It snapped off at the threaded stem while attached to a range rod. I wasn't even surprised; I just jotted this down on the long list of things I've "accomplished" over my life.

I don't have a ball puller (been meaning to order one) but don't know that I could hit the stem of the thing anyway. I removed the barrel from the stock, thinking I'd remove the breech plug and get at it with a ramrod. In reading the Traditions manual though, I ran across this gem: "Important. Never remove the bolster/drum or breech plug from the barrel. They have been installed at the factory such that they interlock with each other for maximum lockup strength. The removal or alteration of these key parts will compromise the performance of your gun, void your warranty, and can create an unsafe condition".

Here's my question: Warranty issues aside, are the manufacturing and assembly parameters so stringent at Traditions such that I'm going to "compromise the performance" if I just unscrew the dang breech plug and then screw it back in? I assume the thing unscrews. I'm being a smart-aleck but I truly am at a loss. With deer season a week away I've converted my rifle into a club.

The best way to remove the stuck jag & patch is to dribble a few grains of black powder into the drum after removing the nipple. Replace the nipple, cap and fire the jag out at a safe back stop. In the future, only use jags with a steel screw (like those at TOW), the brass threaded screws are weak and prone to breakage.

The best way to remove the stuck jag & patch is to dribble a few grains of black powder into the drum after removing the nipple. Replace the nipple, cap and fire the jag out at a safe back stop. In the future, only use jags with a steel screw (like those at TOW), the brass threaded screws are weak and prone to breakage.
That's a bold move (to a newbie). I'll do it tomorrow. I guess I'll preserve my warranty after all. And you are correct, it was a brass screw, not steel. I honestly didn't know to make the distinction. I do now.

Alternatively you can screw in zerk fitting and pump it out with a grease gun. I haven’t had the pleasure of getting anything stuck yet besides some patches, but I saw someone on Youtube do the grease gun thing as a demonstration.

I'd first try to shoot it out as @Grimord suggested. Removing the breech plug may or may not be a daunting task, depending on your particular barrel. It's easier with an octagonal barrel because you can get a tighter fit in a padded vise. If it doesn't shoot out, my second choice would be the grease gun as @Ponderosaman suggested. I've done that successfully with a stuck dry ball, and it's not hard, and it works, but it's awfully dang messy. Traditions is made in Spain, no? So you probably need a metric fitting.

Last edited:
Alternatively you can screw in zerk fitting and pump it out with a grease gun. I haven’t had the pleasure of getting anything stuck yet besides some patches, but I saw someone on Youtube do the grease gun thing as a demonstration.
Pondi, are you lost?!? The political forums are a couple dozen threads higher up from here… JK 🤣

Here's my question: Warranty issues aside, are the manufacturing and assembly parameters so stringent at Traditions such that I'm going to "compromise the performance" if I just unscrew the dang breech plug and then screw it back in? I assume the thing unscrews. I'm being a smart-aleck but I truly am at a loss. With deer season a week away I've converted my rifle into a club.
The bolster and breech plug are assembled in such a way that you have to remove the bolster from the barrel before you can unscrew the breech plug. It sounds simple, but if you do remove everything successfully you're likely to have a terrible time trying to get everything realigned to put everything back together correctly. The old CVA'S use the same breech system.

This picture will make it easier to see why trying to remove the breech plug on your rifle is a bad idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029_194511_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029_194511_Chrome.jpg
    997.5 KB · Views: 0
I've always been able to clear a barrel with compressed air with either a Co2 discharger or from an air compressor. I've cleared a dry ball twice and a stuck ramrod on the range by trickling powder into the chamber and shooting it out. I never had to use a greasegun yet and thank the Lord I haven't had to remove a breech plug yet. I have the correct grease fittings and tools onhand just in case though.

I've always been able to clear a barrel with compressed air with either a Co2 discharger or from an air compressor. I've cleared a dry ball twice and a stuck ramrod on the range by trickling powder into the chamber and shooting it out. I never had to use a greasegun yet and thank the Lord I haven't had to remove a breech plug yet. I have the correct grease fittings and tools onhand just in case though.
So in dribbling powder into the chamber, approximately how much powder? Approximately?

When you dribble a few grains in, rap the side of the lock to see if the powder will settle down in the channel a bit. Then add some more. If you have one you can use a flint pan primer with 4f. Of course I only know this from watching other folks 😁

Back