• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Research ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaho Ron said:
SO if someone wanted to discuss, discussing research on guns in the research forum you would move it here??? Ron

:shocked2: :thumbsup:

:eek:ff As far as research but...

You are spot-on on your assessment as to the reasoning of the wrist size. Each is only as tall as is allowed by the components used and the right one is considerably narrower than tall.

I don't see generous lock panels, esp. the gun on the left. They are in keeping with the style. For "generous" lock panels see percussion gus of later periods, i.e. Hawken.

The reasoning on generous lock panels on most pre-carves is to allow for variations in lock and barrel size. Better too much wood than not enough...or you can always take more wood off but you can't put it back once it's gone! :thumbsup:

Back on topic: I agree there is no substitute for hands-on examination of originals....as you discovered in your work, copying copies results in copying others mistakes.

I am blessed to live where I do in Central Pennsylvania, and have access to numerous orginals through collectors, shows, museums, etc. There may be more orginal guns within a 200 mile radius of me than there is in any other area of the country.

And I understand not everybody does. There comes a time though when the excuse "I don't have access to orginals" doesn't fly anymore....we all have access to planes, trains and automobiles. You just have to have the means and desire to use them. And if you can't, there is nothing wrong with admitting it and rely on those who do for advise....that's where sites like these are so great.

Great thread you started here :hatsoff:

I'm "enjoy"ing it, J.D.

I would probably add "The Northwest Gun" by Charles Hanson,Jr as a valuable reference piece as there are many close-ups in the back relating to touch marks, locks, and side plates.

Yes living in the western US has its draw backs, I have had the oppurtunity to photograph and handle several originals.

It really brings the whole architecture issue into focus.

Charlie Hanson's 'The Northwest Gun' is a good one, the only reason I left it off the list is that son Jim's 'Firearms of the Fur Trade' pretty well supercedes it.

Rod

Rod L said:
Charlie Hanson's 'The Northwest Gun' is a good one, the only reason I left it off the list is that son Jim's 'Firearms of the Fur Trade' pretty well supercedes it.

Rod

Thanks Rod,

I have quite the library gathered up, but it centers around those mentioned by Zonie and others, that list and many more.

I used to despise the look of the NWG, never could find a quality that I could warm up to.

Then a lady shooter from the club had one that would not fire, so I took it on to fix and fell for it, hers was a Curly gun, I have since traded for one that I am waiting to finish up, but I am hooked.

I figure that I'll learn to shoot it now before my eyes force me into it. :grin:

I'll have to look into that book, I have just started gathering reference material for the NWG and have to admit that 'For Trade and Treaty' has been my best investment so far, love the deminsions listed.

Back