• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Flintlock - Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one and love it. $400 is a great deal. Great shooter too. Mine likes the following load: 80gr 2f Swiss, powder, a .495 ball, patching is a .014 white cotton fabric from Joann Fabrics, drylubed with 6:1 Ballistol and water. Same patching dampened with Mr.Flintlocks is good too. And 70gr of 3f Swiss hits about the same as 80gr of 2f Swiss.

The only issue is parts...they are unobtainable. And the L&R RPL "Drop in" replacement lock isn't exactly drop in. It takes some gunsmithing to work right. I have one and it now works, but im still using the stock lock after having the broken frizzen brazed and machined.

Good find, OP.

If you ever tire of how muzzle heavy it is another option would be to have the barrel turned to 2/3 round and 1/3 octagon. This would of course require it to be restocked. That was done by a previous owner of mine. it balances better with some of the weight removed.

View attachment 208300

In my experience the lock sparks well and it's accurate with 50 to 80 grains of 3Fg under a .490 ball in a .018 or .020 patch.
I've seen the barrels turned down on older sporting rifles, and I think it looks great. Beautiful riflr you have there. I saw some literature from DGW that recommended 70 grains of 2f, a .490 ball, and 0.15 patch. I'm going to start there and see what happens. I'll keep your recipe in mind.

That's where I started too, initially using different patch lubes. Then I started using different patching thicknesses and measuring their compressed thickness with a micrometer. My gun likes a fairly tight load. It's nothing a short starter and ramrod have problems with; ive never needed a mallet like I see some shooters using. My best 5 shot 50yd group from a bench using that load was 1.31 inches.

. I saw some literature from DGW that recommended 70 grains of 2f, a .490 ball, and 0.15 patch. I'm going to start there and see what happens. I'll keep your recipe in mind.

TMRs are great production rifles. I’ve had several my favorite being a very early ”narrow” .50 with a walnut stock. The challenge with “ leftys” is that there are no RPL locks available. I have one here stuck in the restoration process due to a broken frizzen.

I broke my stock frizzen too. Dunno how, but I actually found a replacement. Good luck with that nowadays! That said, I took the broken one(a clean snap in half) to a local weld shop(with some very skilled metalworkers!) and they welded/brazed it back together. And I filed/grinded it down back to pretty much stock. You can still tell visually, but it works, and didn't cost much. This is to say, your broken one CAN be repaired.

TMRs are great production rifles. I’ve had several my favorite being a very early ”narrow” .50 with a walnut stock. The challenge with “ leftys” is that there are no RPL locks available. I have one here stuck in the restoration process due to a broken frizzen.

Nice looking rifle. Being a lefty I and shooting RH guns for well over 50 years I can tell yiu it won't be an issue. As always be sure to were shooting glasses. A hot spark or powder ember in the eye stings. I forgot my glasses just the other day and caught something in my left eye shooting my caplock.

I broke my stock frizzen too. Dunno how, but I actually found a replacement. Good luck with that nowadays! That said, I took the broken one(a clean snap in half) to a local weld shop(with some very skilled metalworkers!) and they welded/brazed it back together. And I filed/grinded it down back to pretty much stock. You can still tell visually, but it works, and didn't cost much. This is to say, your broken one CAN be repaired.
Mine has a clean snap so welding is an option. I’ve picked up a old L&R left hand lock at a swap. It’s a very close fit just no lock bolt hole drilled. That may be the way to move forward but there’s no going back.

Yeah, the lack of parts is a problem. I lucked out in that when I bought mine it came with a spare frizzen and a spare mainspring.

You might try contacting Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders about the frizzen. Brad Emig may be able to make one or modify one to fit your lock.

I also broke the frizzen spring on my stock lock. DGW does have a frizzen spring that works, but one has to drill a new new hole on the lock plate for it to fit. I did that, it works, and I've had no problems with it. FYI.

Lack of parts is the main reason I bought the L&R lock. After videos of the issues I originally had when I first bought it were sent to L&R, they were pretty sure what they needed to do. I sent it back, they did their thing, and now it works perfectly. I did disassemble it and browned it using Laurel Mtn barrel brown and it looks pretty good now.

Mine has a clean snap so welding is an option. I’ve picked up a old L&R left hand lock at a swap. It’s a very close fit just no lock bolt hole drilled. That may be the way to move forward but there’s no going back.
I have a left handed Dixie Mountain rifle in percussion that I would like to get a flintlock for. Been looking for years for a lefty flinter for it. You mentioned L&R locks?? which one are you using?

I wanted to provide an update on this gun. I finally had the opportunity to shoot a couple rounds (my first time ever shooting a flintlock) after a morning turkey hunt this past weekend. I shot 75 grains of FF Schuetzen primed with a bit of FFFF Schuetzen behind a .490 round ball (Hornady) and a pre-lubed 0.15 patch.

I shot seated on the ground at 50 yards with winds gusting 15-20 from left to right of my target. Both times ignition was very fast. I put one shot in the 9 ring and one in the 8 ring, high and right of the bullseye on a 100yd rifle target. I'm happy with that given the circumstances and look forward to having more time to try shooting from a bench.

I'd like to find out if the right of POA grouping is me, the wind, or the gun. Maybe a combination. The recoil was almost nothing and I look forward to shooting a lot more.

I have a left handed Dixie Mountain rifle in percussion that I would like to get a flintlock for. Been looking for years for a lefty flinter for it. You mentioned L&R locks?? which one are you using?

As I recall the Dixie left handed Mountain Rifle (I had one and still regret selling it off ) had the Dixie Ashmore Flintlock fitted, if thats any help.

I wanted to provide an update on this gun. I finally had the opportunity to shoot a couple rounds (my first time ever shooting a flintlock) after a morning turkey hunt this past weekend. I shot 75 grains of FF Schuetzen primed with a bit of FFFF Schuetzen behind a .490 round ball (Hornady) and a pre-lubed 0.15 patch.

I shot seated on the ground at 50 yards with winds gusting 15-20 from left to right of my target. Both times ignition was very fast. I put one shot in the 9 ring and one in the 8 ring, high and right of the bullseye on a 100yd rifle target. I'm happy with that given the circumstances and look forward to having more time to try shooting from a bench.

I'd like to find out if the right of POA grouping is me, the wind, or the gun. Maybe a combination. The recoil was almost nothing and I look forward to shooting a lot more.

Believe me, from the first time you experience shooting a Flintlock ML the joy of it never ends.
Welcome to the heretical brotherhood !

For the past six years I have owned and hunted with a percussion T/C Renegade. I have had a blast shooting, hunting with, and maintaining it, so I decided I would like a flintlock. Having a great interest in early American history was also a big part of my decision, and my Renegade with a Lyman peep sight and modern sling swivels doesn't quite fill that niche. I wanted to get my feet wet with an at least mostly historically accurate flintlock rifle that I could also hunt whitetails with.

So on saturday I attended the Baltimore Antique Arms Show to look around and hopefully find a rifle. The show had an incredible 4,200 table of muskets, rifles, and other stuff in that realm. Most of it was pretty high-dollar as expected. Between admission to the show and the price of the rifle (after some haggling), I walked out having spent just under $400, which I think is a good deal.

From what I can gather, this is a 1970s-80s Tennessee Mountain Rifle from Dixie Gun Works, made in Japan. It's a .50 caliber. I did 5 minutes of research after looking at the gun (thanks to this forum) and it seemed like it's a quality rifle, especially to start with, so I bought it.

Overall it is in good used condition. The stock is mostly very nice with a few minor handling marks. The guy I bought it from said these had a grease hole in the stock, but someone covered it with a brass inlay. The metal has some scratches and patches of minor surface rust that I have already mostly buffed out. Most importantly though, the bore is great with crisp rifling and the lock, for all I know, functions smoothly. It came with a flint that throws some sparks but might need some work/replacement. I already broke down the lock and trigger assembly and oiled/greased it up. I'm glad I did because there was some minor rust that I caught there too. I could not get two of the barrel pins out so I could not give the barrel a full inspection, but from what I can see I'm not concerned. I'll work more on that. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't go crazy trying to punch them out.

There is one kicker - it's a lefty, and I am right handed. It didn't concern me at the time and doesn't now, but I am curious to hear from some of you that shoot an opposite-handed gun.

I have some .490 lead balls, .015 patches, and a new flint on the way from Track of the Wolf. I just need to track down some powder and I can't wait to shoot this thing. Looking forward to reading what you all think, especially from anyone with experience with this model or willing to throw out some advice for a flintlock newbie.

Dave
Miroku made these. Dixie had them in stock for many years, they moved slow because of being Lefty. I got mine several yrs. ago from a Dixie flyer at a good price. Cherry trees are practically worshipped in Japan, so a cherry stock is a thing of value. Good luck! The inlay wasn't "stock" but it looks like someone did a nice inlay job. I filled by grease hole with beeswax. You did good by buying it even though you are a Lefty. I saw one of these at a gun show many years ago but didn't have the money to buy it even though it was "cheap"; plus I already had mine at home. Fifty should pack a wallop! I went to the Balt. show once, it's way too pricey as everyone thinks they have a treasure for the thousands that pour into the hall drooling over the "rarities"; there is so much fakery and fabulous stories behind militaria now that newbies can be 'taken' easily. JMHO

For the past six years I have owned and hunted with a percussion T/C Renegade. I have had a blast shooting, hunting with, and maintaining it, so I decided I would like a flintlock. Having a great interest in early American history was also a big part of my decision, and my Renegade with a Lyman peep sight and modern sling swivels doesn't quite fill that niche. I wanted to get my feet wet with an at least mostly historically accurate flintlock rifle that I could also hunt whitetails with.

So on saturday I attended the Baltimore Antique Arms Show to look around and hopefully find a rifle. The show had an incredible 4,200 table of muskets, rifles, and other stuff in that realm. Most of it was pretty high-dollar as expected. Between admission to the show and the price of the rifle (after some haggling), I walked out having spent just under $400, which I think is a good deal.

From what I can gather, this is a 1970s-80s Tennessee Mountain Rifle from Dixie Gun Works, made in Japan. It's a .50 caliber. I did 5 minutes of research after looking at the gun (thanks to this forum) and it seemed like it's a quality rifle, especially to start with, so I bought it.

Overall it is in good used condition. The stock is mostly very nice with a few minor handling marks. The guy I bought it from said these had a grease hole in the stock, but someone covered it with a brass inlay. The metal has some scratches and patches of minor surface rust that I have already mostly buffed out. Most importantly though, the bore is great with crisp rifling and the lock, for all I know, functions smoothly. It came with a flint that throws some sparks but might need some work/replacement. I already broke down the lock and trigger assembly and oiled/greased it up. I'm glad I did because there was some minor rust that I caught there too. I could not get two of the barrel pins out so I could not give the barrel a full inspection, but from what I can see I'm not concerned. I'll work more on that. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't go crazy trying to punch them out.

There is one kicker - it's a lefty, and I am right handed. It didn't concern me at the time and doesn't now, but I am curious to hear from some of you that shoot an opposite-handed gun.

I have some .490 lead balls, .015 patches, and a new flint on the way from Track of the Wolf. I just need to track down some powder and I can't wait to shoot this thing. Looking forward to reading what you all think, especially from anyone with experience with this model or willing to throw out some advice for a flintlock newbie.

Dave
I really Dig that trigger guard A lot. Very nice Rifle indeed…

Dave
I doubt you’ll get hurt seems like a decent buy, myself not a foreign fan. I have heard a lot of people say shooting left isn’t an issue, guess you’ll find out focus with your left eye?.Anyway Grafs has free ship/ no haz mat til the 24th for powder, you have to spend a buck and 1/2..good luck making smoke.

Miroku made these. Dixie had them in stock for many years, they moved slow because of being Lefty. I got mine several yrs. ago from a Dixie flyer at a good price. Cherry trees are practically worshipped in Japan, so a cherry stock is a thing of value. Good luck! The inlay wasn't "stock" but it looks like someone did a nice inlay job. I filled by grease hole with beeswax. You did good by buying it even though you are a Lefty. I saw one of these at a gun show many years ago but didn't have the money to buy it even though it was "cheap"; plus I already had mine at home. Fifty should pack a wallop! I went to the Balt. show once, it's way too pricey as everyone thinks they have a treasure for the thousands that pour into the hall drooling over the "rarities"; there is so much fakery and fabulous stories behind militaria now that newbies can be 'taken' easily. JMHO
True story/ I just posted in another thread about the uptick in volume of people attempting to pass off something that its not, resorting to stamping and engraving just to line their pockets. You really have to di your research… the ole saying still applies today caveat emptor .

True story/ I just posted in another thread about the uptick in volume of people attempting to pass off something that its not, resorting to stamping and engraving just to line their pockets. You really have to di your research… the ole saying still applies today caveat emptor .
*do

Latest posts

Back