• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reflections........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
First and probably most important is; flintlocks are simple tools designed by simple people.

I don't think the simple people designed them. Flintlocks, when developed, were the leading edge technology. They were develped in the same era as the chronometer - an astoundingly complex and difficult thing to design.

Later (much later) simple folks were able to repair, reverse engineer or copy designs in relatively crude workshops.

And us simpler folks can break them even quicker! :rotf:

I guess telling someone , who believes in telling like it is(in their own mind, anyway) that their ugly , unpolished rusty barreled guns, are just that, suddenly decide that, that kind of opinion should just be reserved for them alone.

Self proclaimed Keepers of the Fath, who say they have so much to offer, then offer so little so often...yet again.

You're correct. Our ancestors were just as smart (at least) as we are, maybe more. The flintlock rifle and percussion rifle are very simple instruments, differing little from the much older matchlocks. But that wonderful invention, the flint lock, is a master stroke. That device is so complex, requires such careful geometry and goes through so many steps to do it's job that I consider it a marvel of engineering. Notice how hit & miss the imported flint locks are? It takes much more than slap-dash assembly to work properly.

We stand on their shoulders and think we invent such marvelous things. Yep, they are the ones who made it possible for us to have shoulders to stand on.

I agree with the technology analogy, I mean if you look at a Chinese hand canon and fuse, the matchlock was a logical step, flint and steel fire starters? Not much imagination required to come upwith a flintlock ignition now was there? Paper cartouche to Brass cartridge?

To me the genius came in incremental improvements by the smiths and tinkerers of the day, constantly improving on the other guys version.

So the question to be asked is how many of us have "smithed" any inmprovements to the IPod or I Pad some other little rechareable gizmo thats taken the place of the rifle in our kids list of necessary items?

ps; to the gun haters and gun control proponents, you better ban lathes and end mills too more than a few of us can build a firearm if we have to.

Oooh!
Nice rifle.
Thank you much for showing it to us.

"I have lusted in my heart..."
Jimmy Carter (but he wasn't talking about a rifle)

The guns that have been in question were not rusty barrel relics but rather first rate guns, only made by a different builder. Go figure.

It would seem appropriate that I correct an implied lineage to the rifle pictured above. It is in fact a DH Hilliard slug rifle, not the Reinhard picket I referred to. The Reinhard is pictured below with a Perry rifle in the background. My petite li'l gun is .38 caliber and shoots appropriate loads, better with roundballs to date but I'm working on it with flat base picket bullets.

The Perry rifle is a .56 caliber and shoots either a one piece 900 grain bullet or a 1,300 grain two piece, over several barrels of powder, or so my ears tell me. It has 18 lands and grooves that are all radiused, so it looks like a gentle sea of waves when you peer down the bore. Who'd a thunk it, microgroove rifling back in the 1800's...

The Reinhard rifle weighs about 9#, the Perry gun is somewhere around 35# +
DSCN0197.jpg

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN3462.jpg

Bullet on the right is the one piece for the Perry gun, and to be clear, that piece belongs to a friend, not me. Dang it. :(

I am so pleased to hear the TC cock worked out for you. Thanx for the kind words but I wish you would reconsider and stay with us. I understand if you don’t, however, so all the best to you.

Mike,

Pretty typical post for you..ll
Obviously, it is all you have got..... Take a few cheap shots, and run for cover.

I actually was taken back somewhat with Mr. Brooks’ remark. Somewhat like Dorothy felt when she got to Munchkinland and was told she had destroyed the wicked witch of the East. I had no idea I was destroying anything! Actually Mr. Brooks and I are mostly in agreement on things flintlock with the exception, he thinks everyone should own and shoot custom made HC/PC flintlocks. I agree there are people that should, too, but they are not for everyone. He is a very talented man and if you think not just try some of the things he does.

gizamo said:
Mike,

Obviously, it is all you have got..... Take a few cheap shots, and run for cover.
I haven't run off, I'm just not looking for an argument but more voicing my disapointment in where this board has gone in the past year since our two "one year wonders" showed up and ran anybody that knew anything off. tg , rich pierce and a few others deserve medals for having the patience they do and for continuing
trying to educate you guys in spite of your selves.
As you are all aware, I don't run from internet scuffles, but this one isn't worth the effort. :blah:

he thinks everyone should own and shoot custom made HC/PC flintlocks.
I could care less what everyone owns and shoots. I started off with a TC myself 31 year ago. Great gun.

Thought of something else I enjoy about MLs....bear with me a moment please....

I've hoped for some time that someone would reintroduce the Henry Yellow Boy in .44 Henry Flat. Now I wouldn't object if there was another platform or cartridge put on the table so long as it was sufficient to kill hogs or just simply sport around with now and then. It doesn't take much to kill hogs, a .32 Long RF has excellent penetration and would suffice. One other requirement would be that it is a rimfire...so I won't be tempted to reload it.

And that's where I wind up thinking that muzzle loaders are to the point 'cause they don't use no stinkin' brass that requires prepping. I like that a lot. It leaves a lot of time for me to ponder the other things, like thick/thin patches, lock geometry and timing, linen vs. pillow ticking vs. angel wing feathers, Goex v. Swiss, lead v. marbles, Ballistol v Sperm Oil v. mink oil v. O-M-G, what a long list of the important stuff! :grin:

gizamo said:
Mike,

Oh, you are dead wrong.. :nono: Mike Brooks is not running from anything or anyone, internet or in face, I can guarandamntee ya that...... :shake:

No, I don't always agree with what Mike has to say & he knows that & I have told him that. He can handle it. Same way he doesn't always agree with me & he has told me so, & I can handle that. And we don't have a dang hissy fit about how we said it or whatever, we agree to disagree & that is it, end of story.

This is supposed to be a site to help & learn, not a sparing site like this thread has turned into.... :shake:

I think we need to just drop it all, :dead: quit bitchin at each other & just let it go...... This is accomplishing absolutely nothing good......

Keith Lisle

This is a good forum. I've learned a lot from you guys, and I hope I passed on what little knowledge I have.

I won't make excuses for my past behavior, because i'm sure nobody wants to hear it. I did need to get away for awhile to think about what happened. I put the blame on nobody but me.

Claude doesn't want me to apologize. So, I won't. I'll just say to judge me from this point on, and try and let the past be the past.

Lets move on, and burn some charcoal.

Back