• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The information here.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is amazing. There's a lot of wisdom here that I'm sure will keep me (and others) from doing something destructive to myself or my weapons. When I first ventured into this hobby I was thinking it's pretty simple seeing as how the weapons are, by most every aspect, idiot proof, and as simplistic as a piece of wood, a steel pipe and a rock to set it off. Well, I began to discover that I apparently am well below the level of idiot as the information started piling up.
I appreciate the well thought out and detailed replies to questions here and even some of the "family arguments" I've read. I honestly HATE that I waited so long to get into this as it fills most everyone of my tinkering "itches"... making the powder, casting the balls (conicals next), starting today when I get home, building my 1st rifle, and the info here is an excellent source of do's, "don't do that", and "why would you do that".
To sum this post up, I just wanted to thank everyone for posting their knowledge and experiences to make the journey for us new guys a lot easier and cheaper (preventing mistakes) to make. Y'all have a great day and stay safe.

.... When I first ventured into this hobby I was thinking it's pretty simple seeing as how the weapons are, by most every aspect, idiot proof, and as simplistic as a piece of wood, a steel pipe and a rock to set it off. ....
😄 😄 😄
Ya, it's a challenge for a newbie. OTOH, if it wasn't a challenge, if you didn't have to relearn everything you thought you knew about guns, it wouldn't be so dang much fun. Thanks for the good thoughts and happy shooting!! :thumb:

I tell every new person to forget everything you know about modern firearms
and think like they did 250 years ago. Simple and common sense is common any more.
We all have made decades of mistakes. We are just trying to flatten the learning curve for others.
Kinda what I figured out... Modern weapons are improvements on older designs, so attempting to apply modern weapons understanding to a weapon that has very little in common is counter productive and will make you chase your tail.

is amazing. There's a lot of wisdom here that I'm sure will keep me (and others) from doing something destructive to myself or my weapons. When I first ventured into this hobby I was thinking it's pretty simple seeing as how the weapons are, by most every aspect, idiot proof, and as simplistic as a piece of wood, a steel pipe and a rock to set it off. Well, I began to discover that I apparently am well below the level of idiot as the information started piling up.
I appreciate the well thought out and detailed replies to questions here and even some of the "family arguments" I've read. I honestly HATE that I waited so long to get into this as it fills most everyone of my tinkering "itches"... making the powder, casting the balls (conicals next), starting today when I get home, building my 1st rifle, and the info here is an excellent source of do's, "don't do that", and "why would you do that".
To sum this post up, I just wanted to thank everyone for posting their knowledge and experiences to make the journey for us new guys a lot easier and cheaper (preventing mistakes) to make. Y'all have a great day and stay safe.
Post this very thing next time some holier than thou moans about asking already asked questions and doing your own research. cranberrieheds all of em!

I will never forget the rebuke my dad gave me for “buying a muzzleloader” instead of the mod. 1912 Winchester pump sitting in the rack at the Pawnshop where I ordered my Armsport .45 “Kentuckian”. My dad actually ordered it since I was only 15 years old but that’s what I wanted and that’s what I bought, with the $250 I had saved.

I had some fun with that rifle. Still have it as well as a 1912 ‘Chester.

I'd be suspect of much of the information you get here. Just because you read it here doesn't mean it's true.
There are a few here who's info you can take to the bank, but not many.
To be fair, I do read through all the comments and google suggestions to dig deeper into answers that look interesting. There's a lot of information that can, if nothing else, lead to good solutions with a little further research. All I need is a few breadcrumbs and I'm usually able to wonder off and find what I'm looking for, there's plenty of that here.

Kinda what I figured out... Modern weapons firearms are improvements on older designs, so attempting to apply modern weapons firearms understanding to a weapon that has very little in common is counter productive and will make you chase your tail.
Review everything and make up your own mind.
On several firearm subjects on you tube, there are no correct videos.
Others trying to figure it out, just like the rest of us.

Four things to keep in mind here.

1. It’s more difficult for us to have to go back in time to learn how things were done than it was for them to learn with gradual changes.

2. With muzzleloaders, what works for some people and their particular ML might not work for others and their ML’s.

3. Don’t be afraid to ask questions regardless of a some miserable people on here that might try to blast you for it

4. As always, some folks “think” they know everything and their way is always the correct way.

Keep those in mind and you will do fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back