• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grace tools review,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have been doing gunsmith work of one kind or another for most of my life, not for a living but for myself and friends. several years ago, i bought a set of forster screwdrivers. a couple of them broke, i called and they said to send them in for "evaluation" i did and they said i abused them and they would not replace them! i was hot! and they are rude people! so i bought a set of Grace screwdrivers, they were fantastic! eventually i had a couple break. i called and asked the man if i had to send them in? he laughed told me to give him the numbers and throw them in the trash! the other day after a couple of years i had two more break. i called and the owner answered, and he was in the middle of the shot show in Vegas, he stopped what he was doing and wrote my info down and sent me the new ones when he got home! he did not forget! he did not make any excuses! he just did what he said he would do! i will never buy anything but grace till i am to old and or dead! also, i bought a used set of Brownell's driver and bits off ebay. they are nice! anyway one bit was missing. i called Brownell's and told them i bought a used set and a bit was missing and wanted to replace it. they set me the bit free! very good folks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I've never tried the Forster screwdrivers, so can't comment on them, but I just don't like the look of 'em. I have a small "starter" set of Brownell's Magna-Tip screwdriver bits and a couple of different handles for them, but oddly enough, they just don't seem to fit the screws I find myself needing to turn. Last year, after several decades of having to "make do" for a workspace, I was finally able to carve out a place in a new shed and build a simple workbench, bolted to the wall studs and bolted to the floor under a south-facing window:

Workbench.jpg

In planning this workbench/workspace, I knew I would be using screwdrivers pretty often. I was tired of rummaging for them, so I fixed up a solid holder and bought full sets of Grace wood-handled gunsmith screwdrivers (slot and Phillips) from Lee Valley Tools. Unlike many of my plans and ideas, this was a good one:

Grace Screwdrivers.jpg

Six sizes of flat screwdrivers with hollow-ground tips, and four sizes of Phillips, right there by my right hand.

Note that Lee Valley sells the flat screwdrivers in a set of five. The sixth one is their "Saw" driver, intended to turn the big Chicago screws in saw handles. However, I've found myself puttering around with old and reproduction military muzzleloaders, and some of the screws, such as the sidenails or lock bolts, have very large heads. With a tip that measures 0.348" by 0.033", this "saw" screwdriver works very well for that:

Grace Saw Screwdriver.jpg

I guess I have about $100 invested in these ten screwdrivers, so they aren't cheap but they were worth it to me. These are great tools. I have found that wood handles hold up better than plastic where I live, and with the flat sides on the square handles, these won't roll off your bench. The tips are very nicely ground, and so far I haven't boogered a screw head with them. I have not needed to contact Grace customer support, but I'm happy to hear that they stand behind their tools and take care of their customers.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I bought a set of Lyman "gunsmith screw drivers". Pretty much a waste of money. The Grace set is a good one but limited in the number of screws they will fit. The complete Brownells set is probably the best but it's spendy. It seems like whatever screwdriver set I've had I still have to grind one to fit once in awhile.

I’ve had good success with Wheeler and I just have their smaller set that’s only $15-$16. I have 2 sets of pretty wood handled hollow grounds, they’re nice, but 80% of the time I find one of my Wheeler bits fit best. I’ve definitely considered a set of the Grace drivers in the past, but never tried them. The only problem I’ve had with my Wheeler set is the smallest flat head bit did twist on a stubborn screw, but no other issues after using them for years.

In planning this workbench/workspace, I knew I would be using screwdrivers pretty often. I was tired of rummaging for them, so I fixed up a solid holder and bought full sets of Grace wood-handled gunsmith screwdrivers (slot and Phillips) from Lee Valley Tools.
Great referral! Just ordered the same sets for myself.

I bought the wheeler master gunsmith set and have never looked back and their warranty is next to none
I’ve had a small wheeler set and have had 2 bits twist. Probably not hardened properly. Been looking for a replacement set brownells seems high quality but with a high price. Might have to pull the trigger on it anyway

i retired 5 years ago, i rebuilt transmissions professionally for over 40 years, and i am and was a mechanic when i was forced to be, LOL, i never bought china tools! i couldn't afford them! then or now. if the wheeler and other china made tools work for you, more power to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Years ago bought the Brownells set before they started charging tax on the the first buy and have added to it through out the years and I must say the bits are really high quality and have fit just about everything from modern guns to old and every other job in between. I guess like the old saying goes buy once cry once. But I do have some Grace drivers but your limited to what job your tackling.

I have had a set of Brownells gunsmith screw drivers and bought their small grinding stone to be able to fit the bit(s) for any screw I have encountered for the past 50 or so years. Never had a bit break or twist, probably have a dozen bits that I had to fit to oddball screws. Can't remember ever buggering up a screw on any old firearm I've worked on.

Latest posts

Back