• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbit hunting and gear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Alabama law to use a name/address collar ( link ). Lost dogs would occasionally get returned. I think most were stolen and sold. Daddy had trained rabbit beagles stolen so often that he would not buy me one no matter how much i begged: "it'll just get gone".

It's Alabama law to use a name/address collar ( link ). Lost dogs would occasionally get returned. I think most were stolen and sold. Daddy had trained rabbit beagles stolen so often that he would not buy me one no matter how much i begged: "it'll just get gone".
That law is for Deer Dogs not other dogs like rabbit and squirrel and bird

You
Wow.. I didn't realize the tracking collars price..

My wife's not going to allow this without one I think.

My dogs both outside inside.. mostly outside all day though.

The German pointer is a bomb around the house. She knocks my daughter over all the time on purpose. She grabs everything. Socks shoes toys everything..

I let her hang out with me in the basement everyday.
can use a shock collar to train dogs to come to you it is easy to do I would not own a dog that could not be caught when needed and you can use it to teach the German pointer some manners also I find it hard to believe you would let that dog do that to your child if nothing else beat the shi- out of that dog

There "local" loosers up Maine and NH that are jealous and shitty to out of state.. there is good locals and then there's not. You can spot the difference... some look like meth heads in flannel the others don't.

The have tried stealing dogs.. one guy had a dog shot out there.

I worked with the crowd... one guy told me he was going to throw me under the bus no reason... I told him I could work him out of a job. Try it and see what happens.

...Trying to figure out where to put them...

Reminded me of James Dean as Jett Rink in the movie "Giant", walking around with a rabbit tied to his belt:

jd1.jpg

jd2.jpg

That's new to me James Dean.

He hunted? Or acted it?

To be honest I just know he smashed that car good.

I haven't hunted rabbit or pheasant for years, not since my hunting buddy started getting too old. We had to put him to sleep about 5 years ago, haven't had a hunting dog since. When I did, I'd wear an upland vest, I'd unzip rabbits and gut in cold weather and toss them in the back. I warm weather id skin and toss in a ziplock. knick the skin mid way down the back, get my fingers in and pull apart. The skin would turn inside out like a rubber glove and go down to the legs and head. I'd cut off the head, front legs at the elbows, back legs at the knees, tail, and pull out the guts. Only took about 2 mins, almost no mess that way either.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1550949134310.jpg
    FB_IMG_1550949134310.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0
I'm on my third dog right now. German pointer.

fun. Trained them. Had quals flying around the garage. just go in threw the side door. It was easy enough to get one or two with the fishing net. There smart little birds.

These don't look bad either.. the gym bags.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513_204737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_204737_Chrome.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 0
You

can use a shock collar to train dogs to come to you it is easy to do I would not own a dog that could not be caught when needed and you can use it to teach the German pointer some manners also I find it hard to believe you would let that dog do that to your child if nothing else beat the shi- out of that dog

You have to leash train them in the house when there like that. and it's not easy.

She's ok with me and basement.

my daughter kinda does the run away aaa and the dog runs up right behind and puts her paw into my daughter's butt lol.. whoops right over. Then the dog stands over her sniffing and wagging.

There's pro to it.. the way she is.

She's has a shock collar.. I havnt needed it with her out there.. first time out off leash I though she was going to go..

Right before she was too far I'd call once whistle once and get ready to beep zap call again... never had to use it on her.

Last edited:
I think she would get that rabbit if there was no fence.. she's almost got it everytime.

Years ago I hunted with a friend in Pa. Who had beagles, the only problem was the beagles would chase the rabbits into groundhog holes. I started still hunting rabbits and had better success, i now use the same technique in Alaska for snowshoe hares.
That’s my favorite way to rabbit hunt as well. Especially for snowshoe rabbits. Snowshoe rabbits are my favorite of all. Used to ride my snowmobile up in the mountains until I found a lot of fresh snowshoe rabbit tracks, shut the machine off, then strap a pair of snowshoes on my feet and head out.

Anyone buy Dan's.

They have some nice youth clothing also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240514_072134_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240514_072134_Chrome.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240514_072643_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240514_072643_Chrome.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 0
My mom would buy that jacket for me today.. I can't even show her that I don't want her to you know..

It's clothing though. So I might put it on the Christmas list for her. That's what she wants to buy.

Getting into rabbit hunting and I'm.
Trying to figure out where to put them.
I have the ammunition bag tactical messenger and I have upland jackets it's gonna be a little cold.

Do I use a backpack for the rabbits?And my messenger bag for the ammunition.

Or do I get an Upland vest to go over my warmer clothes.

Do I want more or less orange... it's required hat in Pheasant stocked lands during the season.. so no orange required where I'm going.

I don't know about others, but I always hang my rabbits and/or squirrels outside. I have lanyards with loops, and that goes around the animal's head. I try to field dress the bunnies before I move one, but some places don't want you to do that if they run dogs.

Cooling of the game is good for the meat, AND tells the vermin to flee, and they drop off as I walk. Keeping the animal warm keeps the vermin on the animal longer. I don't need to take creepy crawlies on the critters home to the wife.

LD

I have a loop game carrier. Never tried it yet.

I might use both.. like hang them off the backpack a while.

They will all hold heat just being shot and stuffed in a bag.

Back