• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB...Not for me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred, it's good to see your words again, You gotta be one of the toughest ol buzzards around :bow: . Take care of yourself!!!

Let us know what you are shootin Johnny. Sounds about like what I get in my .50 T/C w/RB,.015 P,BB.

138 grain home made 440 ball, nice yellow 15 patches soaked in 1000+ bore cleaner.

First part of the day I run a patch with 1000+ bore butter.

"Yeah, but we was talkin animals, not bikers. Well different kind 'o animals, anywho." Ya got that right about this guy he could lift that bike he rode, what are we talking here 5 to 600 pounds and I mean put it up on a work stand alone. :shocked2: Nice guy just someone you didnt ant to mess with, heck wish I knew if he's still around we could call back all of our N. G. from those 2 place's and let him go thru in a week or two, no terro's, no Ben Lod, :shake:

HEY! Welcome back to the fire! Glad ye still could find us. You dont know how happy I am to be back on at all and I got to get off fast, if oldst son catchs me setting up in bed on this thing he'll end my return real fast! :rotf: Again Thank ya all! :hatsoff: Fred

At 58 Im not tuf no more, BUT like n the old days if you set your mind to something and never give up... well it's worked for me ALL the Doc's Ive seen the last 2 year said I'd be dead a good 1/2 year ago I jut aint ready so watch me kick of tonite. :rotf: :hatsoff: Fred (this would make one heck of a last post huh - ghost in here and all that....hehehehe)

For ya guys that dont know the org Hawken's (and Ive read tons but we have some flat out experts on them on here) I'll add off Muzzle Blast page 14 Feb 1971 .. a pic of Bill Fuller and friend with org and Hawk's he made on front, the story tels a lot inside about how how the orgs worked ( the 1X48 twist I think was for balls only since it was the only twist they ever made due to it was the only mch they had to cut the rifleing ( AND the inside of a Hawken Barrel is about "no can do today" belive it I tryed to have one done at a hand full of barrel makers)anyway Fullers wife was getting bugged by a big black bear around the trash till one night it was looking in a window while she was looking out, Bill used the Hawken Bro's max load of 200 grs 2f and a PRB in his long john's in now ect (with a org 53 cal) and it was end of bear a 2" going out hole. OK that was a close shot how about the first Fuller built Hawken, his friend got a moose with a 56 cal 200 grs 2f 56 PRB that before the NMLRA let inlines in and ruined the BP records had a Boone and Crockett 66 1/2" spread and 230 1/4 points ,well one shot kill at 233 YARDS Muzz Blast March 70. Not to sound all its got to be a PRB or nothing for me remember I shot a VERY fw PRB out of my kit made 2 part stock CVA back in 1971 and that just seemed a waste of time and I picked up a Toby :cursing: book and found out I could shoot reg bullets out of most anything if ya loaded right, till I hit the wheel chair and had to slow down, Used nothing but since even after I got out of t5hat dang chair a few years back, I guess when you get older and smarter and...But anyone can shoot what they want as ong as its not a in- :cursing: here! Right! Fred :hatsoff: (3:48 am "C" said my cock isnt set up right on this thing and it is my kids sooooo)

Tweesdad:
I hope you're still checking in. If so, I thank you for a very interesting and informative thread. This one embodies some of the most fascinating elements of muzzleloading from the technical to the psychological. Parts of it I've only skimmed and reserved for future enjoyment. Your verbal reserve while under attack is appreciated.

With regard to your initial post, I've found the same thing. Not only that, but in my .54 slow twist GM roundball barrel, the .54 295 Powerbelts go to virtually the same point of impact as the PRBs at 100 yards.

While I still hunt with the PRBs, I keep a few Powerbelts in the bag in case a quick second shot is needed. So far they haven't been. The deer I've harvested with PRBs have all been one shot kills. At longer ranges, I'm sure the Powerbelts hit harder, but, so far, the PRBs have left nothing to be desired in killing power.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.
Bob

Buy your self a Maxie Ball mold and cast your own if you don't wnat to use PRB it don't get any cheaper I ever cast my Round ball's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back