• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

post hawkin here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon Davy, that is a fine looking piece of machinery but it's the strangest lookin' Hawkens Rifle I have EVER seen. :shocked2:
Don

Paul. what kind of finish did you use on the stock of that rifle. I like the overall antique look of that rifle.
Don

Don

I bought this rifle at an estate auction in Louisville, Ky about 25 years ago for $75, so I don't know what the finish is.

It is dated 1926 and the only marking is "C.V.Lamphere, Pontiac, Mich". I did some research and found Cecil Vane Lamphere,born 1904 in Lapeer, Mi., so it is unlikely he was the builder ?

Who was building Hawkens in 1926 ?

The rifle is 54 cal, barrel length 36.25" and
L.O.A 54".

Paul

Correct John, why I had a problem getting that over I dont know..Could of been that pic-up truck that ran over my kid and me last Thursday. And that isnt his Hawken just a toy he whipped up to whip everyone with. 50lb toy! CIOTOG you got it, I still cant get mine right. That is nice and a wonder? So it sure looks Hawken ! You sure didn't go wrong at $75 whoever built it. Fred :hatsoff:

Tid-bits from Muz Bla apr 84 Ad Browning Arms discontinued the J. B. Mountain Rifle (sure looks like a Hawken of somekind)Navy Arms Jan 80 runs ad Ithaca / Navy built to org Hawken workprints. Fred :hatsoff:

What the max powder load in that bad boy? Can anyone sholder that bad boy? :hmm:

Ciotog said:
Don

I bought this rifle at an estate auction in Louisville, Ky about 25 years ago for $75, so I don't know what the finish is.

It is dated 1926 and the only marking is "C.V.Lamphere, Pontiac, Mich". I did some research and found Cecil Vane Lamphere,born 1904 in Lapeer, Mi., so it is unlikely he was the builder ?

L.O.A 54".

Paul

That's a whole lotta Hawken for $75.00. No sir, I have never heard of that maker.
Don

Cooner54 said:
Pardon Davy, that is a fine looking piece of machinery but it's the strangest lookin' Hawkens Rifle I have EVER seen. :shocked2:
Don

W'all thet one wuz fer tha real "he-men" of the day! BAck when men wuz made of iron! :thumbsup:

Davy

Paul,

Lapeer Michigan is about 20 odd miles north of Pontiac. So it is possible that it is the same person. A lot of people came to Pontiac from the country in the 1920's to work in the auto factories.

Greetings Ciotog,

The 1926 date on your Hawken is fascinating.

Sometime during the 1890's the late Horace Kephart purchased an UNMARKED Hawken from William Albright. That particular had remained unsold and had never been fired except for possible test firing by the maker.

The rifle was verified as a genuine Hawken by one of the surviving Hawken workmen, Charles Siever. He even identified the the lock as one he had personally made.

J. P. Gemmer was the last owner of the Hawken Shop, puchasing a share of it in 1862. By 1866, Mr. Gemmer is listed as the proprietor of the business.

According to the late Ned H. Roberts,

"The business was then sold [1862] to John P. Gemmer, who had been one of the Hawken workman and knew all about those rifles, who contined making the Hawken type of rifles in St. Louis for fifty-three years, retired from business in 1915 and died sometime in 1919 or 1920".

The above information would indicate that Mr. Gemmer possibly made the "Hawken type" rifle as late as 1915.

With the 1926 date on the barrel, do you think it is possible you could have picked up an original unmarked "Gemmer Hawken"?

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Ciotog said:
Don

L.O.A 54".

Paul

Paul, where is the date and signature placed on the rifle? Do you have a detail pic of these markings?
Don

I finished this rifle this fall from a set of Kit Carson Hawken parts from TOW. I got the stock for 1/2 price because of a couple of small knots that are hard to see unless you know where to look for them. It is a 54 cal. with a Rice barrel. It is finished with undiluted aquafortis and Tru-oil. I made a lot of mistakes, but learned a lot in the process. This was my second build from a precarved stock.

Hawkensfinishedlockside.jpg

See all these I think I'll start by just getting a bigger cal barrel to fit the Ithaca, nothing to mess it up but maybe shoot something other than 50, maybe 40 or go 54 , cant mess up the stock with anything bigger than a 1"er. Reading the old MB I cant get over how many places and people made Hawkins 15 to 20 yrs ago , in all kinds like the Ithaca to full cus. thanks everyone. fred :hatsoff:

Hey Cooner I started thinking ,,thats sure to get me in deep do-do about what you said about the Bridger/Carson Hawkins not being a copy but good type Hawkin , and I think I'll try and harass Navy Arms they claim the Ithaca / Navy to be made from shop Hawkin prints. Think I'll see if anyone is still around that remembers just what prints from Hawkin got used. Should be fun! Fred :hatsoff: (no matter I do love this Itaca.) :grin:

TANSTAAFL,
Are those drawings of an original Hawken, or of a repo?
Thanks,
J.D.

I have an answer who drew the plans for the Ithaca Hawken: Wayne T. Robidoux of Lincoln, NE 10-18-71. I don't know what he used to draw them though. I imagine John Baird had a lot of input into them.

Wayne Roubideux's (sic) drawings were taken from the Hawken rifle in the Nebraska State Historical Society Museum. It is an original Hawken. If Ithaca used his drawings from that rifle to make the Ithaca rifle they made a lot of changes in dimensions from the original. Not picking on the Ithaca, but I don't think these particular drawings were used from Wayne. I have these drawings as well as others and the Nebraska rifle has a lot of features that are very different from most other Hawken rifles from the same period of Hawken manufacture. If Wayne's blue prints are to be trusted the Nebraska Hawken has no taper to the lock panels and has a few other oddities about it.
Don

They may not have been used then but Ithaca put them front and center in their promotional piece of advertising for the rifle which is where I saw them.

BTW Bioprof, I think I already told you when you featured this rifle on another thread that I think the stock turned out with a lot of eye appeal. Has it's own personality. Fine craftsmanship.
Don :thumbsup:

Cooner, what do you think of the blue prints from the Hawken Shop ? Who do you think has the best blue prints of a Hawken ? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back