• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

post hawkin here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John, I think you'll like the .58 cal. Your idea of a .50 caliber in that heavy of a barrel will be a monster to hold up. I 'spect you know that already. I doubt you're a green'orn. The thought of shooting a off hand string with the .50 makes me tired just thinkin' about it. I have shot the .58 in matches for years and the lighter load of 90 grs. of 2f on the line is no problem. I hunt with a stiffer 120grs. charge and find it a better load for buckin' the wind and knock down power. A funny thing is, when huntin' rabbits, if ya load'er with 40 grs. 2f behind a .58 ball, it just pokes a hole and knocks the rabbit over dead without messing up the meat. The .58 is a good all 'round caliber.
:hatsoff: Don

Greetings Cooner54,

Well I am pretty sure that big 50 caliber barrel is going to be considerably easier to shoot offhand than my 51 pound bench rifle. Now, THAT HAS BEEN A STRUGGLE to shoot offhand. It really is very tiring.

Seriously. the big 50 barrel is going to be for Cross-Sticks and "Chuck Gun" shooting only.

I agree with you about loading a 58 down. One of the nice things about muzzle loaders with black powder is how they can be loaded down like you describe.

With all of that said, are we starting to drift off subject?

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Here's a few more. These are original Hawken rifle pictures that you can use to study some of the details. These are both late Hawken rifles. The first pics are of the Carson rifle and the third is the Bridger Hawken.

hawken-carson-1.jpg
hawken-carson-2.jpg
hawken-bridger.jpg

This last rifle is a fullstock from the Smithsonian collection. Note the location of the first wedge. About where you would expect to see the first wedge location on a halfstock.
hawken-smithsonian.jpg

These pics were sent to me by Chuck Burrows.
Enjoy,
Don

Thanks everyone for the pics of some really great rifles. Please keep them coming.

Greetings Cooner54,

Those are great photos.

Thanks for posting them.

Davy is going to be down this way toward the end of this month and has offerred to photo some of my rifles to post on the forum.

He has the kind of technical knownledge for that, while I do not.

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

John, I am looking forward to seeing your Hawken rifles. Gotta love them Hawken guns. I think I should have my new J&S Hawken done inside of a week or so. I'll post some close ups of it when I get 'er done.
Don :hatsoff:

Flyboy belive me you ruffled no feathers..Davy and I ran a few spots on " How to beat John" that included but not limited to "nakid dancin gurls" in front of him while he shoots, a 'deep pit for him to shoot out of ect. I've never seen him shoot but have some friends in the 1000 yd rolling blocks-sharps game that have with muzzel loaders and said hes one of the few you have to beat..no easy task, that and as you can tell he doesnt half /// anything. Ihear his rifles are clean enough to do heart surgury off of! Cooner , John , cant wait to see your new ones. Anyone else please just jump right on in! :hatsoff: Fred

Glad I did'nt ruffle any feathers Fred. I also did'nt know that John was such an accomlished shot with BP rifles. 1000 yard shooting with any reasonable accuracy is a feat in itsself, but to do it with a BP rifle is an amazing accomplishment! I'm impressed!

Not sure if this fits the request but I have posted pix of a custom Hawken, dated 1926. Not sure of the
builder, but the barrel is stamped:
"C.V.Lamphere
Pontiac, Mich"
[url] http://photobucket.com/albums/c232/ciotog/Hawken[/url] 54 cal/

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey no problem just was letting you know. I dont know if John does 1000 yds ? It would be the only thing he doesnt try to do perfect , hes just real into what ever he does , all of us on here have learned a lot from him. What I was saying is the guys that I shot 1000 yds with (Sharps) said they had shot or seen him shoot at BP matchs and he or a few others are the guys to beat. Back in 91 when I still did it we had a lady 88 yrs old with her org Hepburn 40 cal hitting the white buffalo at 1000 yds here in Texas she was good! CIOTOG couldnt get yours to come up , it just shows "not found" can you try again? Fred :grin: :hatsoff:

Paul, I didn't have any luck with the Hawken picture you posted. Is it the wrong address? I would like to see it.
Don

Cooner54 said:
Paul, I didn't have any luck with the Hawken picture you posted. Is it the wrong address? I would like to see it.
Don

You can to copy and paste all the text he has there into the browser as his link didn't include it all.

Very Nice Rifle!

See what I mean. I did it again.
[url] http://photobucket.com/albums/c232/ciotog/Hawken 54 cal/[/url]

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Flyboy,

I believe Fred meant that he knows some 1000 yard shooters that also shoot muzzle loaders with me at muzzle loading matches.

Let me assure you that I do not shoot any of my ML's at 1000 yards. It has been 20 plus years since I have competed in 1000 yard centerfire matches.

Today, I have difficulty seeing the 25 yard targets.

John L. Hinnant

fw said:
Flyboy if you had been on here long you would of known not to ask. John dont half-as..nothing in building or shooting ( ck out the pics of his 50 lb baby on" benchrifle "about 3 or 4 "pages back on here. As if you didn't have enough to beat us over the head with John :grin: now your going to show up with a new one!( I hear the ghost of Brady past) At least I'll be walking or dead by then none of which will help my shooting. Tell you what I'll join the NRA this wk just so I can feel your not bitchen at me. Thanks Slink doesnt seem to be a lot of difference maybe the wood behind the lock to me it looks closer than the Navy does. Thanks again to everyone showing up here. Fred :hatsoff:

jhbench3.jpg

Heres John's 50 pounder 58 cal. :grin:

BTW John did win one of the heats this last year with one of his Hawkins, at the Texas State Muzzleloading shoots in Brady! :shocked2: Something he has an alarming bad habit of doing way too often! :cursing:

Davy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back