• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Performance Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the same guy. Was on the board of the NYSMLA for several years as well, as I recall. I knew him from the 1970's when he worked at Hunter's Haven in Vestal, NY.

They had racks and racks of old, odd-ball caliber lever actions he couldn't give away.

Ohhh, to have a time machine.

Bought my first m/l there in 1976 - a T/C Seneca.

I know I can get at least three in a saucer at 50 yards, which is as far as I shoot a smoothbore. At one time anything at 100 was endangered; but that was then, this is now.

Stumpkiller said:
When I had my Bess I made a lifesize plywood "Redcoat" that I had set up for a 100 yard shot. Smoothbore, not especially tight paper rolled 0.715" ball and I could hit in the torso offhand maybe 50% of the time.

Same gun would do almost one (big) hole at 25 yards, 10" pie plate at 50 yards.

After 60 yards that gun had a decided tendency to throw knuckle balls

SK:

Off topic a bit but let me ask you what you think made that particular musket shoot so well when others don't?

Also, I read up on the knuckleball theory. What I read was the ball must be going slowly for it to happen. Slow wasn't quantified but I certainly do believe there is more truth to it than fiction with a smoothbore.

Thanks again for the info.

Scipio

Gus:

Well, I guess this opens up 100 yards as a distance where I should be able to expect a hit if I take a good shot.

I understand that my conditions are not standard for muzzle loading competitions. Ten just happens to be an easy number for guys to use when they present hit percentages.

Thanks for taking the time to give your experiences!

Scipio

Scipio said:
SK:

Off topic a bit but let me ask you what you think made that particular musket shoot so well when others don't?

Also, I read up on the knuckleball theory. What I read was the ball must be going slowly for it to happen. Slow wasn't quantified but I certainly do believe there is more truth to it than fiction with a smoothbore.

Thanks again for the info.

Scipio

None of that is exceptional smoothbore shooting - but there are four things I would say helped:

#1. It was an exceptionally well made Bess. Kit Ravenshear put it together for me using a Getz barrel. I was visiting (New Berlin, PA) at the time he was ready to braze on the bayonet lug ("front sight") and there happened to be a young gunsmith who worked for Getz was a competitive shooter. Kit had him center up the lug and braze it in place. Even so, I don't consciously align the front sight for aiming. I point the whole barrel. In fact, with my current fowler; when I do lineup at 60 yards and stop to look at the front blade it is WAY too high. The lip of the barrel (base of the sight) is center of the target if I try to peek down the barrel from the tang. So I just point as if the deer had inhaled a grouse and I was grouse shooting - but with one ball instead of shot.

This is 60+/- yards (60 of my 6'2" tall long paces) picking the center of a plain white target with my 0.662" Mike Brooks English Fowler (also a well built gun that was structured to my personal measurement).

YTIZzOAl.jpg

You may be familiar with the target from other uses. ;-)

MYC7bcjl.jpg

#2 - Load development. I spend hours and hours getting a best possible load for accuracy. I also almost ALWAYS shoot offhand after I have a good load. I don't carry a bench to hunt so I don't practice with one. No sights to adjust so I know if it's off it's my fault.

#3 - That Bess (a 1757 Light Infantry carbine - 42" bbl in 0.662" bore) was THE ONLY firearm I used for small game and large game hunting for 15 years from around 1985 to 2000 or thereabouts. I was VERY familiar with how it shot and shot it a lot. Thousands of rounds a year. Shot and ball.

#4 - I am a lifelong stickbow (sightless recurve) bowhunter, field archer and target shooter. I'm pretty good (being immodest) and I practice with the bow out to 80 yards. Though I only stretch to 25 yards on deer. Even a flintlock smoothbore feels like a slam dunk to 50 yards. So little motion and effort. ;-) Shooting a sightless smoothbore is very much like a sightless bow. Point and shoot.

The speed of sound is 1,120 fps. Figuring a bad arse large smoothbore one ounce ball drops from around 1,500 muzzle to 1,100 fps maybe around 60 to 75 yards, at which time the pressure wave drops from ahead or the ball to around it . . . would be the theory I like. Also the reason smaller smooth rifles hold accuracy further. The balls stay over 1,120 fps further out.

SK:

I wonder if some of the muzzle loading smiths have a routine they use to maximize performance from their rifles or smooth bores. I have read about the differences in barrels and locks. Wonder if they have some sort of means of bedding other than wood to metal inletting and or if it would matter.

I think much of it is balance. My Trade Gun is exceptionally well balanced although a bit light but it holds well and the drop is not as pronounced as most muzzle loaders so recoil is directed straight back.

Absolutely about a barrel with only a front sight. Would shoot way low if a guy sighted straight down the barrel. May be better not to have a front sight at all or if a front sight -- have a rear sight too.

Load development.... Ugh. Hated it with pistol, hated it with rifle, always bought my trap loads. Have some decent ideas with the trade gun but would need to bench it. Ugh.

Stick bow stuff looks neat. Still have a re curve my dad bought me in high school. I can put in a nice 25 yard archery range on my property. Hmmmmm.

Scipio

Back