• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 caliber Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is hairsplitting involved indeed. Black powder measured by a volumetric measure in grains will measure very close to that weight on a scale. I've checked that out many a time. The substitutes are designed to replace that same volume as a volume measure of black powder. However, the substitute powders are less dense than black powder. For example, a 100 grain volume measure of 2Fg GOEX or Scheutzen powder will tip the weight scale at 100 grans. The same 100 grain volume measure of Pyrodex will weight abou 85 grains on the weight scale and perform pretty close to the 100 grain volume measure of black powder.

Seems there are a couple here that are confused. For any black powder or subs charges 70 grs and above, far accuracy's sake, I weigh my charges. Now I don't go solely by weight. I pour 5 volume charges and weigh each one. Then the average weight of thos 5 volume charges is what I use to weigh out for my preloaded tubes.
For example, a 90 gr volume charge of FFg may average out to 90 gr weight. In contrast a 90 gr volume charge of Pyrodex may average 78 or so grains weight.

Last edited:
Back