• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

October Country half stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone seen or handled the new half stock rifles from October Country featured in the May/June Muzzleloader? They bear a very strong resemblance to my GRRW Hawken, and that's a very positive comparison.

Lotta money, but it looks like there might be a lotta rifle for the money.

Not one of those, But I do have one of the original Great American Sporting Rifles in 69 caliber. it is very nice to shoot, and allot of rifle. it weighs 10 pounds unloaded

Thanks. I figured it would have some beef to it. My GRRW with 36" 1 1/8" x 1" tapered barrel sags the scale to a little over 12 pounds. I'm guessing a straight 33" x 1" barrel with those stock proportions might dip below 10#, but the 54 cal and especially the 50 cal will most certainly sag the scale beyond 10. Lots to lug if not resting on a pommel, but what a joy to shoot.

The extremely slow twist of so called "Forsythe" rifling on the October County rifles is meant for .58 or (above) calibers. I'm just adding this to avoid confusing anyone reading this. I do not think it's practical to have "Forsythe" rifling in anything below .58 caliber. A twist rate of 1:72 inches should be standard for .58 caliber and above. Hardened balls are meant for " "Forsythe" rifles. The October County rifles are 1:104... I think. Forsythe rifling is a somewhat touchy subject. I does sound good however.

I have no way and no reason to dispute your claims about Forsythe rifling because I've never touched it. But according to the link I posted it has "1 inch straight octagon 32 inches Green Mountain match grade barrel, 1/70 twist" rather than one their own. In the Muzzleloader article they tested a 54 caliber and it shot like a house afire even from an imperfect rest.

All I'm saying is, I don't think it's Forsythe at all, unless GM has made some. And I'm so impressed with the accuracy and looks, I think I'm willing to overlook the fact that they only mention right handed versions. :wink:

My 69 caliber Great American Sporting Rifle has a 1:104 twist, and for the life of me I cannot remember the barrel maker.

Have not handled one, but the pictures and description sure look intriguing. Hope someone posts that has one and can share their impressions.
Dan

BrownBear said:
Anyone seen or handled the new half stock rifles from October Country featured in the May/June Muzzleloader? They bear a very strong resemblance to my GRRW Hawken, and that's a very positive comparison.

I wish Mike Nessbit has spent a little more time shooting it at further distances than 25 yrds.
he also diden't mention groove depth,twist,etc..
good lookin gun tho.

Yeah, more shooting info would be helpful.

I was all over the Green Mountain barrel site and found no mention of "match grade" barrels, so I can't tell if that is just sales pitch by October Country or a special run.

In any case, the GM barrels I own or have handled have always had fairly deep and slower twist rifling. If I wasn't reworking a boat right now, I'd probably be passing along a firsthand report. Including longer range shooting! :)

Greenmtnboy said:
BrownBear said:

I wish Mike Nessbit has spent a little more time shooting it at further distances than 25 yrds.
he also diden't mention groove depth,twist,etc..
good lookin gun tho.

He mentions rate of twist, one turn in 70 inches. Isn't that the standard Green Mountain rate? More shooting at longer ranges would have been interesting.

BrownBear said:
Yeah, you're right. On both accounts! :thumbsup:
ya dumb a$$ me missed the GMB, they have a deep .012 groove perfect for a thick patch and heavy loads if need be.
I love all mine.....EXCEPT! I have stopped buying GMB as of late because quality has gone to manure.
Their military contract have taken top shelf and their muzzleloader barrels come chatterd all to hell.
I have complained many times to the factory.
I had heard tho that they are getting it back together.
Make sure you shine a bore light down your barrel to see if you got a good one or one that got cut with a dull blade.
Hey how is the king run so far should be heating up pritty soon.
I used to guide for Lake Marie Lodge 100 air miles north of Ancorage.
Great fly fishing.

stuff5007.jpg

stuff5198.jpg

stuff5157.jpg

Greenmtnboy said:
ya dumb a$$ me missed the GMB, they have a deep .012 groove perfect for a thick patch and heavy loads if need be.
I love all mine.....EXCEPT! I have stopped buying GMB as of late because quality has gone to manure.
Their military contract have taken top shelf and their muzzleloader barrels come chatterd all to hell.
I have complained many times to the factory.
I had heard tho that they are getting it back together.
Make sure you shine a bore light down your barrel to see if you got a good one or one that got cut with a dull blade.
Hey how is the king run so far should be heating up pritty soon.
I used to guide for Lake Marie Lodge 100 air miles north of Ancorage.
Great fly fishing.

That's good to know about GM. I always check out barrels pretty carefully, but I'd go nuts if OC didn't do it before building a rifle.

As for the king fishing? Depends on where you go and who you talk to. Around here it has been slow for some folks, hot for us. Or at least hot for my wife. I'm yet to break 40#, but she's caught three in the 40's, one in the 50's and this one in the 60's. She's 5'8", and note that her back is arched pretty good and she still can't get the tail off the ground!

janking52711.jpg

Nice Brown Bear!! :bow:
And silver as well!! :bow: thos are the best eating, man I miss guiding up there.
The lodge I guided for had pritty typical white boy food, lots of carbs cheep stuff, I would run down to the river after guiding(light all night) and catch a Sockey or two and cube it up in a bowl with some garlic powder and soy sause.
Sushi was never so good when it comes right from the river.
All tho breaded steakes on the grill can't be beat eather.
:hatsoff:

Yeah, we're getting these from my boat in saltwater, so everthing we get is silver. I'm not acquainted with that lodge, but agree on lodge food in general. Lotta guys want to "get their money's worth" and measure it in belt notches. Nothing like carbs for that job!

If I wasn't doing a bunch of boat work this summer I'd already have one of those OC rifles on order. Boats are the only thing I know worse than muzzleloaders for soaking up money. When it's one or the other in a budget, the boat gets the money in summer and the muzzleloaders rebound in winter. :grin:

"..catch a Sockey or two and cube it up in a bowl with some garlic powder and soy sause.
Sushi was never so good when it comes right from the river.
All tho breaded steakes on the grill can't be beat eather."

You're makiing me really hungry. The river is way too high here for fishing, spring runoff and rain.

NICE fish!

You guys are killing me with your pics. I havn't even been out to catch a blue gill this year!! You all are lucky to live in country like that. I would like to live somewhere like that while I'm still young enough to enjoy it, but I don't know if it will ever happen. I'm thankful that I can go out west every 2 or 3 years to hunt. Hunting around here just isn't the same after you've been on the moutain setting around the campfire and eating fresh backstrap! Anyway I appreciate the pics you all put on here. Keeps me dreaming. Dew

Latest posts

Back