• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Old Stock TC 50cal White Mountain Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I came across a really cool find after work yesterday. I stopped into Hellebuycks Trading Post east of Lapeer Mi, to see what he might have since I've never been there but heard great things about it. He has an awesome shop to say the least definitely stop in and check it out if you're in the area. I asked if he had any TC percussion cap rifles and low and behold, he had a few. He had a 50 cal. Hawken in good shape and a 54-cal. scout that was a little rough. The scout had some bad rust at the muzzle but was priced accordingly for the condition, the rest of it was in good shape. I don't know anything about it, so I asked if he had anything else, he said actually I do and went into the back room and came out with this brand-new White Mountain Carbine. I have a few questions about the gun since I've seen the threads on here talking about the stock possibly splitting if it has the wood screw on the on the tang. From what I've gathered with the paperwork in the box it had to be made after 1991. If anyone could give me any information to this rifle I would greatly appreciate. I haven't decided if I will shoot it or not considering a new old stock TC is hard to come by. I am going to the range today and will update my post about the TC express I picked up last week. I am still pretty new to black powder percussion cap rifles, I for sure have the bug and am trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks, Shoot Straight
MidmichiganJake

Pics of NIB White Mountain Carbine

Attachments

• IMG_8460.jpeg
    IMG_8460.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8462.jpeg
    IMG_8462.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8463.jpeg
    IMG_8463.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8467.jpeg
    IMG_8467.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8468.jpeg
    IMG_8468.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8469.jpeg
    IMG_8469.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8470.jpeg
    IMG_8470.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8459.jpeg
    IMG_8459.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
More Pics

Attachments

• IMG_8483.jpeg
    IMG_8483.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8481.jpeg
    IMG_8481.jpeg
  • IMG_8475.jpeg
    IMG_8475.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8473.jpeg
    IMG_8473.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8472.jpeg
    IMG_8472.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8471.jpeg
    IMG_8471.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8474.jpeg
    IMG_8474.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8484.jpeg
    IMG_8484.jpeg
  • IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8488.jpeg
    IMG_8488.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Some good information I thought I would share here from the manual that came with it. The only thing I have done so far is put it together at the shop then cleaned it with hot water and a drop of dawn. Oiled it and put it back in the box.

Attachments

• IMG_8456.jpeg
    IMG_8456.jpeg
  • IMG_8490.jpeg
    IMG_8490.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
  • IMG_8451.jpeg
    IMG_8451.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8452.jpeg
    IMG_8452.jpeg
  • IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
  • IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8455.jpeg
    IMG_8455.jpeg
  • IMG_8457.jpeg
    IMG_8457.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8458.jpeg
    IMG_8458.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I googled the store. No mention of the WMC but the Hawkin is listed as new old stock at $349.00 Thats top price in my mind. However....I have one and it will shoot a 2" group at 90 yds out the Corolla door about every time. They are accurate! I have never had or shot or even shouldered a WMC but I like the fact they have interchangeable .54 and 12GA barrels. See em here and on Ebay often. A few listed here now I believe.

As for tang screw crack....don't over tighten. Not necessary and the cause for many cracked socks.

If you're not going to shoot it, what does it matter if the tang has a wood screw or a through-bolt? And for what it's worth, most cracked TC stocks are caused by owner miscues.

I believe that listing is a misprint because the Hawken I seen was not new in stock. Possibly was already sold or mistaken for the WMC. I paid 300 out the door figured I did all right considering going rate for good condition TC sidelocks in my area.

As for my question I said I was debating on not shooting it. I didn’t say I am not shooting it. Everything I own I shoot whether it’s archery or black powder related. I like having a usable collection, I just haven’t came across something like this before. I have a few other rifles I’m shooting and before I get into this one I wanted to learn everything I could about it. I have no need to push the limits with powder charges in any of my rifles.

If you're not going to shoot it, what does it matter if the tang has a wood screw or a through-bolt? And for what it's worth, most cracked TC stocks are caused by owner miscues.
I have repaired and reinforced more TC stocks than I can remember. Below is what I do with WMC stocks. To date, not aware of any I have reenforced cracking or breaking.

The photographs below of the WMC trigger assembly and tang should explain it. Drill straight through tang screw holes through the stock to the trigger assembly, tap and replace the wood screws with machine screws. Make sure to add clearance for the machine screws in the stock after you have spotted and drilled the holes in the trigger assembly. You do not want the screws touching the stock.
1596491381691.jpeg

1596491427502.jpeg

From my understanding there was certain years of the MWC that had a through bolt on one of the tang screws and one with woods screws. What years had the through bolt? The earlier years or later of the WMC?

I believe that listing is a misprint because the Hawken I seen was not new in stock. Possibly was already sold or mistaken for the WMC. I paid 300 out the door figured I did all right considering going rate for good condition TC sidelocks in my area.

As for my question I said I was debating on not shooting it. I didn’t say I am not shooting it. Everything I own I shoot whether it’s archery or black powder related. I like having a usable collection, I just haven’t came across something like this before. I have a few other rifles I’m shooting and before I get into this one I wanted to learn everything I could about it. I have no need to push the limits with powder charges in any of my rifles.
That's a good price for a real handy BP carbine! Is it the fast twist or round ball twist model? Another thing about TC's is not to over tighten the lock screw. As far as the tang goes I've never had a problem with any of mine, all the models I have are wood screws and no problems just don't shoot max loads, they're more accurate with moderate loads anyhow! As far as collector value goes, an unfired with original box is what collectors crave but that's not much fun letting them collect dust!

From my understanding there was certain years of the MWC that had a through bolt on one of the tang screws and one with woods screws. What years had the through bolt? The earlier years or later of the WMC?
Saw the change to a through bolt and wood screw from two wood screws on the Hawken and Renegade in the early 1990s, but have never run across a WMC with a bolt and wood screw, if they even exist. Would be interesting to see your source.

Latest posts

Back