• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Old Stock TC 50cal White Mountain Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SDSmlf- I thought I read that on a forum either on here or the modern muzzleloader page, possibly facebook groups. I could be wrong and am unsure, that was my understanding when I read it. I looked this morning for awhile to try and find it with no avail.

I found this unfired seneca and a low milage Big Boar and thought $450 each was acceptable.
Wow what an awesome find! What caliber is the seneca? I have a 36 cal seneca as well. The Big Boar looks very similar to the express I have. I would have paid the same, great looking guns!

First thing to check is to see if the front screw in the tang is machine threaded into the trigger guard version or the wood screw version. The wood screw version has a tendency to readily split the stock. See this thread on how to fix and the issues associated with the wood screw version:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/tc-white-mountain-carbine.123105/
T/C used to fix them for free, but those days are long gone.
@SDSmlf
That was the source I was referring to about the "different versions".

That's a good price for a real handy BP carbine! Is it the fast twist or round ball twist model? Another thing about TC's is not to over tighten the lock screw. As far as the tang goes I've never had a problem with any of mine, all the models I have are wood screws and no problems just don't shoot max loads, they're more accurate with moderate loads anyhow! As far as collector value goes, an unfired with original box is what collectors crave but that's not much fun letting them collect dust!
I checked the twist rate, it is a 1 in 20in twist. It'll be shot here before long lol. Should be a good conical gun!

Attachments

• IMG_8519.jpeg
    IMG_8519.jpeg
    693.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8523.jpeg
    IMG_8523.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 0
I bought mine like you NIB about 10 years ago on gunbroker for the same price you got yours for ! You did great! Mine Did have a bolt in the leading side of tang. It shoots very good with 80gr 777 2f and I use my handcast TC Maxiballs. Use it to 100 yards. Congratulations on a super find. I also have the matching Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine NIB but it remains unfired!

@SDSmlf
That was the source I was referring to about the "different versions".
There was a lot of conversation between @chorizo and I during his thumper project, and I don’t remember him mentioning any of the White Mountain Carbines or single single trigger Renegades (aka Hunter model) he was modifying having anything other than wood screws in the tang. I believe he was referring to Hawkens and Renegades in the post you referenced, though I could be wrong.

I bought mine like you NIB about 10 years ago on gunbroker for the same price you got yours for ! You did great! Mine Did have a bolt in the leading side of tang. It shoots very good with 80gr 777 2f and I use my handcast TC Maxiballs. Use it to 100 yards. Congratulations on a super find. I also have the matching Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine NIB but it remains unfired!
Interesting bit of information that your White Mountain Carbine had a factory installed bolt in the leading side of the tang. First one I am aware of. Learn something everyday.

Wow what an awesome find! What caliber is the seneca? I have a 36 cal seneca as well. The Big Boar looks very similar to the express I have. I would have paid the same, great looking guns!
It is a 36 caliber. What surprised/ confused me is on the box it is listed as both a hawken and a renegade. It is brass mounted .

I did use my WMC one year for elk using 90gr and Hornady boredrivers but have since acquired a TC Treehawk in .50 cal from a forum member. Has the synthetic stock so now I use it with the heavier loads and keep the WMC at 80gr. Dont want to even take a chance on splitting the stock!

The easy tell, is that hole ahead of the trigger on the underside of the trigger guard you can see it’s threaded. That’s where the bolt comes in from the top.

Sure if I get home early enough, you can see them on the many trigger assemblies selling on eBay you’ll see the ones with them and the ones without them

Hope this helps! Has some form of hard wax maybe hot glue in there I guess as a thread sealer or like a removable lock tight! Mine is a 5 digit serial starting with 7.

Attachments

• IMG_3224.jpeg
    IMG_3224.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
This one has the rubber or synthetic. I have the steel on my New Englander, Renegade and also got one from eBay and used it on a CVA MountainStalker rebuild!!! They are very nice and seem to slip right in place on your shoulder!

Hope this helps! Has some form of hard wax maybe hot glue in there I guess as a thread sealer or like a removable lock tight! Mine is a 5 digit serial starting with 7.
Thank you for the photographs. I have handled quite a few WMCs and have not seen one with a factory installed machine screw through the tang before. Like I said in a previous post, I learned something.

When I reinforce the stocks on WMCs I replace both the wood screws with machine screws. I also drill and tap both as blind holes into the trigger assembly. I locate the front hole where the bow of the trigger guard comes into the plate, similar to what TC did on their Hawken and Renegade trigger guard. I don’t want the hole or screw showing in front of the trigger, not that it matters functionality, I just prefer how it looks.
1701967155634.jpeg

Hey that’s Great!!! If you do decide to fire it like I said mine is very accurate with 80gr 777 2f with either the TC Maxi-Ball 370gr or the Hornady BoreDriver. My grouping was about the same with either at 50 yards but tighter at 100 yards with the BoreDrivers!!! Hope this helps!! It’s always fun figuring loads but hopefully this info will save you on the Hard To Replace Caps!!!

Back