• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken - question on quality: any owner of recently newly made piece here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juhu

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to ask, is there here any „fresh“ owner of Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken (preferably maple stock) willing to share some experience as far as quality is concerned?

After getting 2 band Enfield for minie shooting, I wanted to add also some „ball shooting stuff“. While was really unhappy with Enfield quality (I posted my experience here few days ago) I have now also starting to reconsider my Hawken plans.

I have always believed that RMH is something like a flag-ship in Peds. production. I understand it might be the best mass produced replica of Hawken rifle (leaving of course custom made aside). It looks great, particularly in maple and is supposed to be a good shooter. I do plan target shooting with it, so no hill walks. Therefore the weight might not be the issue. Also I strongly prefer traditional look, so no option in going into some more target specialized rifles, they are too futuristic to my taste. And I had high hopes that premium priced RMH would be somewhat above, not sharing usual Pedersoli QC issue risks.

I went virtually through all the threads available online and while they confirm above said, I also found not only few issue descriptions: maple finish is nice, but that glossy finish seems to be some kind of very thin lacquer layer that peels off easily? Barrel browning looks magnificent, but seems it scratches too easily and also falls off. Etc... The gun looks great, but the finish quality does not seem to match the premium cost.

Now, when I order one for 1300,- paying ¼ in advance, then waiting for half a year and then get it, I do not want to realize, that I had to sand down the stock and apply some proper oil finish, while that glossy stuff simply does not hold and work, the same with barrel browning and to do whatever else to get properly working and finished rifle from this very expensive piece.

I also read that unstable Pedersoli quality has even worsened after COVID. Therefore, is here any new owner of RMH who could share how satisfied is he with some newly made piece? Any opinion, photo is welcome. Thank you.

Hi all,

I would like to ask, is there here any „fresh“ owner of Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken (preferably maple stock) willing to share some experience as far as quality is concerned?

After getting 2 band Enfield for minie shooting, I wanted to add also some „ball shooting stuff“. While was really unhappy with Enfield quality (I posted my experience here few days ago) I have now also starting to reconsider my Hawken plans.

I have always believed that RMH is something like a flag-ship in Peds. production. I understand it might be the best mass produced replica of Hawken rifle (leaving of course custom made aside). It looks great, particularly in maple and is supposed to be a good shooter. I do plan target shooting with it, so no hill walks. Therefore the weight might not be the issue. Also I strongly prefer traditional look, so no option in going into some more target specialized rifles, they are too futuristic to my taste. And I had high hopes that premium priced RMH would be somewhat above, not sharing usual Pedersoli QC issue risks.

I went virtually through all the threads available online and while they confirm above said, I also found not only few issue descriptions: maple finish is nice, but that glossy finish seems to be some kind of very thin lacquer layer that peels off easily? Barrel browning looks magnificent, but seems it scratches too easily and also falls off. Etc... The gun looks great, but the finish quality does not seem to match the premium cost.

Now, when I order one for 1300,- paying ¼ in advance, then waiting for half a year and then get it, I do not want to realize, that I had to sand down the stock and apply some proper oil finish, while that glossy stuff simply does not hold and work, the same with barrel browning and to do whatever else to get properly working and finished rifle from this very expensive piece.

I also read that unstable Pedersoli quality has even worsened after COVID. Therefore, is here any new owner of RMH who could share how satisfied is he with some newly made piece? Any opinion, photo is welcome. Thank you.
My Pedersoli RMH in .54 is not "fresh" as i have had it for 10+ years now, but I will share my observations. I have hunted extensively with it, and the finish has held up fine. A few dings and blemishes, but that is to be expected as I drag it thru the woods. It is a great shooter using PRB's. I tried some conicals once (.54 Hornady GP, now discontinued)) and it shot a one hole group at 50 yards with 60 grains of 3f, for 1100 fps. Any velocity greater than that, and it would send bullets down-range sideways. I don't like conicals, so don't care about that so much. As far as quality, the fit and finish were as good or better than a custom Hawken made by a local builder of good reputation. Can't speak on that for current production. Overall, I am quite happy with mine, at 1/2 the price of an entry level custom piece. I made a skinny 16 year old girl's day with it once. She wanted to shoot it, so I loaded it up with 60 grains and a PRB. This 95 lb young lady., shooting off-hand, exploded a pumpkin with it at 100 yards. Didn't think i would get my rifle back from her, as she ended up taking about 20 shots, blowing up all kinds of produce.

What's wrong with Ped quality? I have old Peds, middle age Peds and new Peds. Only one has ever given me a headache and I'm sure I will figure it out. If not, one lemon out of nearly 20 is ok by me.

I handled a new in box Rocky Mountain last month. It was a beautiful rifle, workmanship was excellent. The balance felt different to me as compared to my Ithaca Hawken, the Rocky Mountain was a little more nose heavy. All in all a fantastic rifle that looked like a custom built gun.

Hi all,

If I may ask, where are you ordering Pedersoli with 1/4 down. I was just told today by a dealer its 100% down and up to 18 months. Would you mind sharing? I feel a lot more comfortable with that.

Like PastorB, my RMH has been with me for a long time...about 20 years. It's the one gun I will never sell...too many great hunts and memories between us. Still looks great with just a "memory mark" or two.

I hope Pedersoli has kept up with quality on this model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it costs a lot more and quality has slipped. Seems to be the way everything is now. :(

Thank you all for responses, I might have pictured the situation better, my fault:

I am not from US, but from the old continent. Here, European Union is very strict on weapon hold, since the beginning of 2022, you cannot buy even BP replica like this just being 18+, you need a permission from the police and gun to be registered after the purchase (again, not speaking of any modern weapon, just almost any weapon, including Pedersoli’s BP)

BP shooting here is then somewhere at the very border of interest and I believe, diminishing slowly, that is why one wanting some info, writes on web forum like here.

In my country, there is only one official Pedersoli dealer – and as said, as this is just a minor side thing, you can forget about going to the store and hand the gun or choose from several pieces.

Shipping from abroad is extremely problematic, you can buy gun abroad just in person based on another permission. Ok, I have found one dealer in neighboring country within reasonable driving distance who, providing I will get all the paperwork through, would BACKORDER RMH rifle for 1300,- . I would pay 300,- in advance and then have to wait for at least 5 months. If you think 1300,- is too much, then just for better picture , check here, how go the prices, of course, would the rifles be available at all. Here maple one in “special prize”:

Pedersoli-Service-Deutschland.de | Pedersoli Perkussionsgewehr ROCKY M. HAWKEN Ahorn .54

“Cheaper” walnut RMH here: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Walnut Percussion Rifle - capandball.eu

So, assume I backorder, get something after half a year, if it would have defects, I have only theoretical chance to get a replacement.

The thing is that US market is much bigger and more important, Pedersoli supplies most production there, that is why you have it in stock. Also the quality goes from Italy firstly overseas, if some poor guy from the continent orders one, very likely he gets well…. Check my other thread with 2-band Enfield experience.
=========================================
So that is the situation. Why I wrote my question here, was because I really would like to have nice RMH (as no option of custom build here). For that horrible price tag I would expect the first class quality. BUT I have read over internet several threads of Pedersoli quality going down, particularly after covid and my own previously mentioned Enfield experience only confirms it. Also, there are several reviews on maple RMH, not so favorable on finish durability. Buying RMH is very expensive one way ticket, without return option, I wondered if RMH is truly somehow specific, above the usual Pedersoli production in terms of quality and finish.
Thank you

So you are talking 1300 Euro...a little over $1400 US.

Sorry to hear of all the bureaucracy just to purchase a muzzleloader. Many here in the U.S. take it for granted that we'll always just be able to walk into a store and get one. Some even still vote for politicians dead set on taking their guns. Crazy! 🤪

I can only comment on my Rocky Mountain Hawken (.54 Maple) quality- I picked it up pre COVID on sale for $800 US from Cabelas.
Outstanding fit and finish, architecture is good.
Decent lock time and acceptable accuracy.
For a production rifle they are an excellent representation of a heavy caliber half stock plains rifle.

Direct from a Taylor & Co representative:
COVID wreaked havoc on the Italian firearms industry. The old school highly talented craftsmen got dinged hard and the manufacturers are having a helluva time getting halfway skilled workers to fill their shoes.
It will take years for their industry to recover

Last edited:
Hi all,

I can’t speak for the RMH, but I do have a Pedersoli Santa Fe Hawken(same as Missouri River Hawken) with maple stock and browned barrel. I received it in May of this year and I couldn’t be happier with fit and finish quality. It seems very durable so far having been shot quite a bit and packed through rough country for one muzzleloader season here in the mountains of Montana. The only gripe I have-and it’s a big one-is the quality of the barrel. This one must have slipped by whoever laps the barrels over there, it still has tool marks on the lands and it’s got a tight spot midway down the barrel. I can barely force a .503 conical the first 2/3 of the way down the barrel but then it will nearly fall the last 8” or so under the weight of the rod. I had the bullet migrate off the powder charge about 2” while hunting one day, thankfully didn’t get a shot at an elk that morning and decided to check it when I stopped to have lunch. Scared the heck out of me, so now I’m trying to figure out the best way to lap the tight spot out a bit and load a slightly larger bullet which will hopefully stay put.

Thanks for the reports: exactly that confirms my fears.
@RedRock: your experience is really frightening. This truly sounds like a serious flaw, from the safety point of view I am not sure what happens during the shot when the ball comes from the loose barrel bottom to the tight spot and then again freely further. I mean would not it be destructive over the longer time?

And also to other note: that is what I have also heard, that production quality dopped down after COVID (and I know the PEdersoli quality was quite uneven even before). I believe happy who obtained the gun earlier. Who buys now, well, without personal inspection, probably too risky lottery?

Latest posts

Back