• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple wrench?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There’s a good chance they would be a standard 1/4-28 nipple. No way of knowing for sure just yet. I have a J.D. Dougall double built in Glasgow, and it takes standard 1/4-28’s.

Ratcheting Nipple Wrench | TDC - Cash Mfg

Easy to use ratcheting nipple wrench! Heavy duty *American made* ratchet with custom made ratchet head made with hardened steel that fits #11 nipples on rifles, musket nipples or pistol nipples. Tapered fit, standard 1/4" hex, interchangeable heads. Don't be afraid to push hard on the head to...
www.tdcmfg.com
www.tdcmfg.com
Use the drop-down to select which combination or single attachment you’d like."

I am getting close. I see the attachments, "Pistol, Rifle, Musket" but don't see the 1/4-28?

"There’s a good chance they would be a standard 1/4-28 nipple. No way of knowing for sure just yet. I have a J.D. Dougall double built in Glasgow, and it takes standard 1/4-28’s.

Ratcheting Nipple Wrench | TDC - Cash Mfg

Easy to use ratcheting nipple wrench! Heavy duty *American made* ratchet with custom made ratchet head made with hardened steel that fits #11 nipples on rifles, musket nipples or pistol nipples. Tapered fit, standard 1/4" hex, interchangeable heads. Don't be afraid to push hard on the head to...
www.tdcmfg.com
www.tdcmfg.com
Use the drop-down to select which combination or single attachment you’d like."

I am getting close. I see the attachments, "Pistol, Rifle, Musket" but don't see the 1/4-28?
The 2 different standards for thd measurement are metric and English. They certainly weren't using metric when that shotgun was made. They would more than likely be 1/4 28

Likely the rifle or musket fitting. If you get one of each you'll have a ready tool in your box for either common type of percussion nipple available.

All the advice about soaking in a penetrating oil, soaking some more and working with taps on the wrench has worked on stuck nipples for me.

I have some antique percussion shotguns and have damaged or badly plugged nipples. I see a lot of nipple wrenches for sale on Amazon. Some are for #11 or #12. Not sure what size I have on my guns. Is there a universal wrench?

Based on your questions & posts it appears you are new to the ML world & don't have a complete understanding of the various nipple types & sizes nor the appropriate tools & experience to remove the nipple in your picture. That nipple would not be a good choice for a "first time" attempt, as it appears to be very old & corroded in. I recommend you have a gunsmith familiar with this type work remove it, confirm the thread size & insure the threads are still within specs & safe to shoot. Best of luck!

@Marplot, how handy are you? Have you any experience working on small or delicate mechanical pieces? If you possess 'the feel' then you should be good to do your own work. I cannot describe 'the feel' any other way other than knowing when to stop applying force before something breaks.

@Old Hawkeye, if his gunsmith situation is anything like mine, there isn't one in a 300 mile radius that he would let touch his gun with a wet noodle. I can't recommend any of the smiths, even muzzleloader smiths, I have taken guns to.

Latest posts

Back