• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help removing Nipples on an 1858 Remington!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedidiah

Old, Grumpy & still kickin !
Reaction score
So, back to the original posting where i purchased a new 1858 Remington, and received it two days ago! HELP! I am trying to remove the nipples, operative word TRYING!! I have been able to remove 4 out of 6. They are in so tight that the nipple wrench I used is basically destroyed. Lets face it they are cheaply made! I am looking for suggestions on how to remove these remaining two!! I did put some Kroil on them, but still, no joy! Also, who makes a decent nipple wrench that will not tear apart and break under heavy use?

Take the cylinder out and use a couple of dowels that fit in the chambers and mount the dowels on a vice. Use your homemade nipple wrench that Bud described and put strong pressure down on the wrench while you try to loosen the nipples. I’ve also had good luck mounting the socket in a drill press and turning the chuck by hand while putting downward pressure with the drill handle. Remingtons have the nipples at an angle so you would have to mount the cylinder to compensate for that.

I had read about holding the wrench in the vice, holding the cylinder in your hands and with the wrench secured in the vice and the cylinder pushed up against the wrench, you rotate the cylinder.

Maybe I didn’t explain it well but it worked for me.

So, back to the original posting where i purchased a new 1858 Remington, and received it two days ago! HELP! I am trying to remove the nipples, operative word TRYING!! I have been able to remove 4 out of 6. They are in so tight that the nipple wrench I used is basically destroyed. Lets face it they are cheaply made! I am looking for suggestions on how to remove these remaining two!! I did put some Kroil on them, but still, no joy! Also, who makes a decent nipple wrench that will not tear apart and break under heavy use?
I have had good results with tight screws by tightening them a little more and then trying to unscrew them.

I put the cylinder on a couple of short wooden dowels clamped in the drill press vice. You can either tilt the dowels or the press platform so you get a straight shot the nipple. That way both hands are free.

I had the same issue when I got mine. I ordered a particular nipple wrench upon suggestion by another member. I will see if I can find the name of it. If not, I'll look at it when I get back to the house.

Edit: I ordered the ratchet style from Cabellas. It broke them loose and didn't come apart like the others.

I had the same issue when I got mine. I ordered a particular nipple wrench upon suggestion by another member. I will see if I can find the name of it. If not, I'll look at it when I get back to the house.

Edit: I ordered the ratchet style from Cabellas. It broke them loose and didn't come apart like the others.
thanks

I don't know if this is going to solve the problem but I have found that the older the tools are the better quality they are .
finding old things like nipple wrenches at the gun shows, and when I mean old I'm referring to stuff that was made back in the '60s and '70s, stuff that was made in America or made in Italy.

I love to scan the gun show tables for all those little things that are dollar or $2 items. The powder flasks or nipple wrenches or all sorts of things to numerous to list that are from the mid 1900s, a lot of people don't care about it some old guys are hauling in their old collection of stuff to get rid of, that's the place to find those good quality tools and accessories.

so much of the accessories are made in China and are made so dang cheap.
There are 1 inch diameter bolts that hold equipment together that I deal with almost on a daily basis and these are supposed to be of a very high tensile strength and a very strong rating,

The one inch high tensile strength bolts that were made in America back in the 50s and 60s are actually still being used , reused, some people when they disassemble old things they keep those old nuts and bolts.
the new stuff that comes out of China actually breaks and I'm not just making this up, a 1 inch thick bolt , that is supposed to be a really high strength and a really strong grade, will crack and break. The metal is just so cheap

Latest posts

Back