• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple wrench?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some antique percussion shotguns and have damaged or badly plugged nipples. I see a lot of nipple wrenches for sale on Amazon. Some are for #11 or #12. Not sure what size I have on my guns. Is there a universal wrench?

I have some antique percussion shotguns and have damaged or badly plugged nipples. I see a lot of nipple wrenches for sale on Amazon. Some are for #11 or #12. Not sure what size I have on my guns. Is there a universal wrench?
No. Get a set of assorted metric and english wrenches and try them until you get one that fits. There is all kind of ways to machine them out and I suspect you are about to see them but you didn't ask about them

Whatever you end up buying, just make SURE its a good fit before you really torque down on it. If one size is too small and the other too big, take the small wrench or socket and enlarge it just enough, to the point where it has to be tapped (not hammered) down on the nipple. I would also try to find something of quality that has been tempered. This way the tools are less likely to bend, break, or distort. Seized nipples can be tough, but patience, most of the time, will prevail.

I use Ted Cash's nipple sockets with a Champan CM13 ratchet. These fit most nipples out there, and the sockets are available separately for individual modification, if you wish.

1699797726653.png

I have a combination gun that one of the nipples was stuck pretty badly. Several days of soaking with Kroil, a good fitting Cash nipple socket driven by this 1/4" hand impact worked well.
1699798072757.png

I use Ted Cash's nipple sockets with a Champan CM13 ratchet. These fit most nipples out there, and the sockets are available separately for individual modification, if you wish.

View attachment 268320
I have a combination gun that one of the nipples was stuck pretty badly. Several days of soaking with Kroil, a good fitting Cash nipple socket driven by this 1/4" hand impact worked well.
View attachment 268321
I like the looks of the nipple sockets.

where can i find the nipple sockets? Here are picture of nipples.

The gun shows ELG* in an oval (Proof Mark). Would this be metric? Belgian? I think the 184 is a serial number. Don't have a clue about the "40"
5 ELG (4).JPG
5 ELG (3).JPG

Use kroil. Or soak in plain water, that worked for me once. Tap with a mallet once in a while, if not loaded- heat up the breech a round the nipple and let cool. Repeat for at least a week. Don’t rush things!

use some form of penetrating solution such as Kroil or the 50/50 mix of acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid.
Best advice yet. IMHO, you probably do not need a good wrench to remove those old nipples. They will probably be unusable anyway. You will need to find (or have made) new ones for replacement that accept currently made caps.

Those nipples look like they have been in there for a LONG time. You need to soak the barrel breach in some good penetrating solution such as Kroil, CRC or the 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid for a week or more. Get the Ted Cash's nipple sockets with a Chapman CM13 ratchet! After a week's worth of soaking place one of the Cash sockets that fit the best and give the socket a few LIGHT raps with a SMALL ball peen hammer to set up vibrations into the nipple to try to break up some of the rust. Then try to remove the nipple by working it back and forth a little at a time. You may need to go back to the soak for a longer time - be patient - time is your friend. After a month you MIGHT have success if not take it to a GOOD gunsmith that specializes in BP gun repair. :thumb: Good Luck ---

Once you have let everything soak, inside and out, with your preferred ‘penetrating oil’ for a week or so, and have located a proper fitting wrench/socket, a ‘cordless drill driver’ (I use a DeWalt) can be your friend.

The adjustable torque setting on most will work like poor man’s impact wrench for smaller fasteners. Put the drill on lowest torque setting, and let it hammer away for a bit as the drill’s clutch repeatedly catches and releases. Then increase to the next higher torque setting and repeat. Keep increasing the torque setting until the fastener’s threads release. At least this method has worked for me.

Latest posts

Back