• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
colorado clyde said:
I'm not sure I know you well enough to laugh with you at my own expense, just yet.

Let's leave the personal attacks out of it.

Agreed! ....But what if I am an Actor, Oscar winner, climatologist or maybe, Leonardo?.... :hmm:

Yes! "Let's leave the personal attacks out of it."

Okay Dr. DiCaprio. I didn't realize you famous dudes were as sensitive as us common folks. I thought you all were thick skinned and used to being criticized by the public. My bad.

BTW, I'm glad to know you are posting here and I'm happy to say you did a bang-up job eating that raw liver.

colorado clyde said:
tenngun said:
The rise of trains and quick transport made it possible to move good productions around the country. People knew the Booth family almost as well as Lincoln. Movies and movie magiziens made it worse. During the Second World War we boosted stars to heros. Some like lee Marvin and jimmy stewered were real heros. In the end all you need to be wise is a big microphone. And we give stars world wide acsess. It carries over in to the rest of life. Obama had a leg up over McCain or Kennedy over Nixon because of good looks. Not the only reason for sure but contributed to. Taff or Madison would be a dark horse today, as christy was.
Sooo, you're saying???? people are shallow and judgmental? :hmm:

Hey! you left out Ronald Regan who was an Actor... :grin:
No I wasn't saying they were all shallow, though many are. I was saying ease of transport then movies then the internet and instragram face book ect elevated actors in to the public conscience. Sports players too. Hollywood and the government used stars on buy bond campianges. People bought lucky strip because that's what the Duke smoked. Stars could put out a message, and people listen because they are stars.
Go to your local food mart. You can find a history magazine, some political, a science or two, some decorating and cooking mags. But lots of tabloid and glossy star mags. Some fasion mags that look to the stars for guidance.
Ellen can talk about vegan life style, or De caprio about climate change or rock about diversity. People pay attention because of who they are.
It was Cronkite that said that Kennedy would get women's votes because of his looks. And Biden who said that in Obama the county found a good looking articulate black man. Rubio has oft repeated that Clinton and Sanders are old and that he is the young new generation.

Okay Dr. DiCaprio. I didn't realize you famous dudes were as sensitive as us common folks. I thought you all were thick skinned and used to being criticized by the public. My bad.

:doh: ..That's still insulting to actors....

BTW, I'm glad to know you are posting here and I'm happy to say you did a bang-up job eating that raw liver.

Thanks! But I'm going back to being a vegetarian.... :haha:

No I wasn't saying they were all shallow, though many are. I was saying ease of transport then movies then the internet and instragram face book ect elevated actors in to the public conscience. Sports players too. Hollywood and the government used stars on buy bond campianges. People bought lucky strip because that's what the Duke smoked. Stars could put out a message, and people listen because they are stars.
Go to your local food mart. You can find a history magazine, some political, a science or two, some decorating and cooking mags. But lots of tabloid and glossy star mags. Some fasion mags that look to the stars for guidance.
Ellen can talk about vegan life style, or De caprio about climate change or rock about diversity. People pay attention because of who they are.
It was Cronkite that said that Kennedy would get women's votes because of his looks. And Biden who said that in Obama the county found a good looking articulate black man. Rubio has oft repeated that Clinton and Sanders are old and that he is the young new generation.

What you're saying is out of context and time....
I think you need to go back to the 18th century and reevaluate your history.

Start with Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart, then Gilbert Stuart, then William Dunlap or Margaretta Bleecker Faugères and end up reading Poor Richards Almanac ..... :haha:

I started with mid 19th century because of the percentage of people who could see an actors work. With good roads and trains an act could come to a city near you, movies could come to every city. It also opened up to the whole people. A person who was English may have never heard opera in the 18th century, unless he was rich enough to make a grand tour. A hundred years later most boom towns in the west had an opera house where Europe's greatest singers would be heard.
You brought up Poor Richard. Ease of travel made stars in the same way that the printing press made stars of pamphlitiers. And just as French lined up to buy fur caps and chamber pots with Franklins picture on it so we sit and listen to some star drone on about their cause of the week. Todays super Tuesday, but more votes will go to a singing show then our next presidential hopeful.

Not sure exactly what your point is or where you are headed but,.... It is true that people have a hard time differentiating the Actor, the role and the person....Same goes for The politician, the politics, and real issues.....
The politician uses "acting" as tool to gain prominence...The Actor (or anyone with 5 minutes of fame) uses their prominence to voice their views.....
Regardless the truth lies in the facts....

I think that you are also forgetting that an acceptance speech is an opportunity for an actor to speak "off script" something they almost never get to do.....Imagine if all your words were scripted.....

If only we could get politicians to speak "off script"... :hmm:

I wonder what the content of your Oscar acceptance speech would be.... :hmm:

Native Arizonan said:
I tried to watch the oscars, but couldn't get through the 3rd or 4th racist "joke". One is funny, two is less funny, any more than that gets pretty boring. I never made it to the best actor category. Then I heard DiCaprio used his acceptance speech to push the AGW agenda. :shake:

Why do so many actors and actresses feel qualified and obligated to push their political and questionable scientific views on the public? I could never figure that out. Hollywood turned out some entertaining movies this year, but the oscar presentations stunk. It's no wonder their ratings have fallen so far.

I also find the Oscars to be unwatchable. Furthermore, most of the movies that are nominated...are movies that I will never watch. Still...I was happy to see The Revenant...a movie I liked...get recognition. As I will never watch the other movies I cannot say whether or not Leo deserved the Oscar....or whether or not the Revenant also deserved to get the best picture award. If they had lost in the category of cinematography...I probably would have had to watch the other movie...just to see who beat them. The vast majority of movies today are nothing that I am interested in. The best possible outcome of the success of a movie I like...is simply that they might make more of them. Other than that...I really couldn't care less about the Oscars.

I've read a number of articles showing that many in the acting community drop out of high school and very few attend college. I did a quick search of the subject "hollywood highschool dropouts" and came up with a bunch of articles listing many who didn't make it to graduation. Now there are exceptions to the rules like Jodie Foster who got her college degree after becoming famous. But it appears that the majority didn't finish highschool.
http://www.businessinsider.com/celebrity-high-school-dropouts-2014-1?op=1
http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-high-school-dropouts/celebrity-lists?format=SLIDESHOW&page=6
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls008740239/
http://pagesix.com/2014/11/21/class-of-never-hollywoods-high-school-dropouts/#1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/famous-high-school-dropouts_n_3397652.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=ho...0ahUKEwjZnaqFq6LLAhWKlIMKHbfhBR4QsAQITQ&dpr=1

These are just a few of the many sites that list the actors/actresses who didn't finish school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, just like athletes, high school and college age is one of the best times to push their careers forward, and they need to put all their energy into doing that. Once they are successful, they don't need the formal education to get a job, and self education becomes the alternate solution. Most in the acting profession are pretty well read, I would think.

Sooo, are there more actors that don't have high school diplomas or more people with high school diplomas that can't act?

Neither works well as a blanket statement.

I don't believe they are better read. Most simply parrot what ever cause they are lead into believing. If they were better read they would have more common sense and be much more knowledgeable about the BS they often preach to the rest of us "peons". They would know much more about the areas of the country they classify as "fly over" country and not think of us all as rubes and rednecks.

These are people who make a living out of pretending to be other people and should keep their political ideas to themselves. :barf: :td:

My point agrees with what you said there. We gave an actor, a man who is good at his craft to make a speach that reached the world on a subject that had nothing to do with his craft. You and I could talk about it but reach only a handful of people. Now of what value his his opinion? Is it better or more fact based then yours or mine. ? Unlikely. But hear we are a week after the event, on a thread about his movie. We can see past. However many in our modren culture think because Leonardo said it it's worth taking to heart. And that's started when people stayed paying attention to stars.

Ah! But there's the catch....Leonardo's speech was directly relatable and relevant to the making of the film...Were it not for climate change the film could have been made in more U.S. locations and in less time....

I think there was a bit of the white stuff last year this year two years ago right hear in the old USA. They chose it for the time and the background. You got admit a guy with a carbon foot print about thirty times bigger then mine per year at an event that left a bigger foot print then a small city may not be the best spokesman for his cause. :rotf:

tenngun said:
I think there was a bit of the white stuff last year this year two years ago right hear in the old USA. They chose it for the time and the background. You got admit a guy with a carbon foot print about thirty times bigger then mine per year at an event that left a bigger foot print then a small city may not be the best spokesman for his cause. :rotf:
Lest we forget, Leo not only speaks on the issues, he donates plenty of monies to combat it. Something that many can't or won't do. Hell, if he wasn't saying anything you wouldn't have to complain about...

That's a trueism. They have their political manure and they all get good photos, they get to put on their best tuxs and dresses. I think Leonardo deserved it, and the cinamatography was some of the best. In the end it is a party where they can all slap each other on the back and think how wonderful they are. If you listen real close you can hear Roxie Hart singing" I love you and I know you love me and I love you for loving me and you love me for loving you...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back