• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An embarrassing problem...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, chaps. And ladies. Cleaning my Investarm .45 Hawken this evening. I enjoy cleaning my guns - to me its all part of the fun, so after a good old shoot I often partake in a brandy or three whilst cleaning my stuff, with a movie such as Waterloo, or Glory, playing in the background. Or maybe a Youtube vid I've seen a dozen times before from Duelists Den. This evening I fear I've had a brandy too many. After cleaning my guns, I noticed that the ramrod of my Hawken was nowhere to be seen. No problem, thought I. Out came the decanter, glass was refilled, and on Youtube a selection of 50's Rockabilly tracks started to play, and I sat down on my Chesterfield armchair. Some slight resistance, then... CRACK! Yes, my ramrod, laid delicately across the arms of the chair, was well and truly busted. I have since trawled the posts on this site, looked on various websites including Thompson Centre and Investarm themselves, and it seems that Ramrods are not available as a separate item. What do you suggest? I was thinking maybe a brass tube of the same diameter, or maybe a ramin dowell from the local DIY store. Neither of these options is to me very attractive. I remember seeing somewhere on this forum that you can get unbreakable, glass fibre versions of these - but to be honest, an authentic wooden one would do. Any ideas?

EDIT: One more glass of Cognac... music has changed to Tchaikowsky's 'Winter Dreams'. Bloody cold tonight...!

Last edited:
Last edited:
October Country has them too.
I bought a brass range rod from them that I carry as a ramrod.
It was cut to my exact length, and threaded at both ends to take jags and whatever, including a T-handle.
It was also antiqued, and looks great!
It's heavier than wood, but you can sit on it and it won't break! :thumb:

And it was shipped in a pvc pipe to prevent damage. Seems like shipping was a bit costly, but buy quality, cry once.

By Jove sir, I thank you for solving my problem! I do of course have an Aluminium range rod which loads the rifle quite adequately, but my gun somehow looks naked without the precise item in place.
EDIT: I would add, that this is a splendid online store to which I will be placing many orders in the future!
Track also has hickory rods, several lengths/sizes, tips already on or separate. I have used them repeatedly. Dale

or maybe a ramin dowell from the local DIY store.
Stay away from those, they WILL split.
No need to shop across the pond, just search "cleaning rod" in your area, be sure to get a "muzzle cone".
To rpl your rod try Investarms.
To be honest, I only use the factroy rod for in-field loading when needed,, never for cleaning,, and never for bench shooting.
In my case the wood rod is basically there for cosmetics only.
Now before folks jump on a bandwagon, it's not that the factory rod isn't usefull, or needed,, it's just that there are better way's.
I have several solid steel and fiberglas rods I use,, but always use a muzzle protection cone/guide.
Well, I can't say always,, I do have two children,,

Alright, chaps. And ladies. Cleaning my Investarm .45 Hawken this evening. I enjoy cleaning my guns - to me its all part of the fun, so after a good old shoot I often partake in a brandy or three whilst cleaning my stuff, with a movie such as Waterloo, or Glory, playing in the background. Or maybe a Youtube vid I've seen a dozen times before from Duelists Den. This evening I fear I've had a brandy too many. After cleaning my guns, I noticed that the ramrod of my Hawken was nowhere to be seen. No problem, thought I. Out came the decanter, glass was refilled, and on Youtube a selection of 50's Rockabilly tracks started to play, and I sat down on my Chesterfield armchair. Some slight resistance, then... CRACK! Yes, my ramrod, laid delicately across the arms of the chair, was well and truly busted. I have since trawled the posts on this site, looked on various websites including Thompson Centre and Investarm themselves, and it seems that Ramrods are not available as a separate item. What do you suggest? I was thinking maybe a brass tube of the same diameter, or maybe a ramin dowell from the local DIY store. Neither of these options is to me very attractive. I remember seeing somewhere on this forum that you can get unbreakable, glass fibre versions of these - but to be honest, an authentic wooden one would do. Any ideas?

EDIT: One more glass of Cognac... music has changed to Tchaikowsky's 'Winter Dreams'. Bloody cold tonight...!
One more instance that proves guns and alcohol don't mix. Glad you're in France, I don't want to be anywhere near you when you are handling a firearm.
Semper Fi.

@ColonialRifleSmith ...your assumption, without any evidence, being that I shoot my guns and handle powder whilst having a drink. Which I certainly don't. Or that I was blind drunk when I misplaced the ramrod, which I wasn't. Are you're saying I shouldn't have a drink whilst relaxing several hours after shooting and continue to enjoy the hobby by cleaning and maintaining my guns?

Last edited:
Stay away from those, they WILL split.
No need to shop across the pond, just search "cleaning rod" in your area, be sure to get a "muzzle cone".
To rpl your rod try Investarms.
To be honest, I only use the factroy rod for in-field loading when needed,, never for cleaning,, and never for bench shooting.
In my case the wood rod is basically there for cosmetics only.
Now before folks jump on a bandwagon, it's not that the factory rod isn't usefull, or needed,, it's just that there are better way's.
I have several solid steel and fiberglas rods I use,, but always use a muzzle protection cone/guide.
Well, I can't say always,, I do have two children,,
i have been making custom ramrods for 30 years. when i make a wood one its been tempered . I read about this in a dixie catalog 20 some odd years it was a paragraph buried on a page it basically said to take your wood rod and put it in a pvc pipe and soak it in kerosene for up to a year you would be surprised at how much you can flex it without breaking it

How many of you out there spotted (or heard of) the modern wrist watch very briefly flashing on the wrist of one of the enlisted men? Say also say many of the muskets used in the filming "disappeared" at some point, just sayin'.:rolleyes:I spotted the watch at a real movie theatre, don't know if DVD's were edited but I doubt it. Great soundtrack, though. P.S.: I can't stand cleaning! But it's necessary!

i have been making custom ramrods for 30 years. when i make a wood one its been tempered . I read about this in a dixie catalog 20 some odd years it was a paragraph buried on a page it basically said to take your wood rod and put it in a pvc pipe and soak it in kerosene for up to a year you would be surprised at how much you can flex it without breaking it
I've noted the same thing but never did it. Those little factoids in the catalog are priceless; like that a .30 cal. carbine casing holds 30 grains of powder, the .45 ACP holds 25 grains, that sort of detail.

How many of you out there spotted (or heard of) the modern wrist watch very briefly flashing on the wrist of one of the enlisted men? Say also say many of the muskets used in the filming "disappeared" at some point, just sayin'.:rolleyes:I spotted the watch at a real movie theatre, don't know if DVD's were edited but I doubt it. Great soundtrack, though. P.S.: I can't stand cleaning! But it's necessary!
If you could blow up the picture of me here [or you have good eyes], you would see a wristwatch firmly encircling my left wrist. A friend who is not a ML shooter first called me on it. I never make foolish mistakes :doh: :rolleyes: Polecat 🦨

I honestly did that, being close to Track, I bought several hickory rods and made the pipe and did the soak,,
I didn't notice any difference.
My point to @Sir Boniface Harrison was about the ramin dowel from the hardware store, even an Oak dowel,, they have terrible run-out.
A good quality straight grain Hickory is a great rod, but even a Hickory with run-out is a hazard.
I still have a 40yr old scar in my right palm from learning proper use the hard way!
✌️

Look at Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun Works for possible replacement ramrods.

I was at a range in the low country below Georgetown and the original ramrod broke because it had been made crossing the grain of the wood. So I went to the local Lowe's hardware store and selected an oak dowel, with the proper grain, and made my own. That was at least 15 years ago and I still use it almost every week.

I was at a range in the low country below Georgetown and the original ramrod broke because it had been made crossing the grain of the wood. So I went to the local Lowe's hardware store and selected an oak dowel, with the proper grain, and made my own. That was at least 15 years ago and I still use it almost every week.
I think that's probably the way I should go. I already load with an aluminium range rod, so the issue of the broken rod is in some ways cosmetic. It looks funny without one though, so if I am going to replace it I may as well make a fully functioning one.

Back