• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many shots in a row without picking or wiping pan ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost never use a pick (very rarely). I don't wipe the bore between shots, strings or sets, actually not at all. I wipe the frizzen and maybe the pan with my thumb when I think about it. If the humidity is bad enough I suffer just like the others and all bets are off.

At the Battle of Braddock, during the Bi-Cen, I got 23 shots in a row with a replica Charleville at the re-enactment. Could have gotten more, but the battle ended!

Just today, I spent a glorious 4 hours in perfect 62 degree weather at my range with not a soul in sight! Shot 25 or so rounds through my .45 Kibler SMR. 50 grains Goex 3F, .012 pillow ticking with my spit and .445 round ball. Swiss 4F in pan. 50 yards standing couldnā€™t miss a 12ā€ gong. I picked the vent hole every shot because I was getting failures to fire. Sometimes pan would light and sometimes it would not. Tightened flint once, wiped flint and pan every few times. It would eventually fire but couple times it took more than 2 tries to go off. I need to spend more time with this wonderful rifle to get her figured out.

I was taught to do the same by my grandfather. My grandmother was not thrilled when wash day rolled around but never said anything. She used an old electric wringer washing machine and it was my job to run the clothes through the wringer for her. Boy those were some good memories.

Iā€™m one of those guys who blow down the barrel after the shot. I thumb the pan and frizzen face too
I have a prick but never need it.
I like to swab between shots too with a damp patch.
Now folks are all bothered by blowing down the barrel, but if you run a patch down you get to hear a whoosh and see a puff of smoke blow out.
Even loading fast in military style youā€™re still looking at a hunk of time before your shots ready. The fastest I ever saw a load was twelve seconds.
No reason to rush, redcoats ainā€™t going to bayonet you, Blackfoot wonā€™t lift your hair. Slow down, do the little steps,shoot with nary a misfire.

Iā€™m one of those guys who blow down the barrel after the shot. I thumb the pan and frizzen face too
I have a prick but never need it.
I like to swab between shots too with a damp patch.
Now folks are all bothered by blowing down the barrel, but if you run a patch down you get to hear a whoosh and see a puff of smoke blow out.
Even loading fast in military style youā€™re still looking at a hunk of time before your shots ready. The fastest I ever saw a load was twelve seconds.
No reason to rush, redcoats ainā€™t going to bayonet you, Blackfoot wonā€™t lift your hair. Slow down, do the little steps,shoot with nary a misfire.
:thumb:

Back