• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new corn boiler dissapointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a nice set. I've been droolin over their wares for some time now, but I always seem to forget when ever I have the money... dangit

Alden said:
That cup is a great idea. Suppose they wanted to make it look relatively period so soldered (welded) seams instead of just pressing it (like my pint stainless "drinking cup," but, that's where it all goes wrong and gets frustrating, yes. Better now than afield.

I have a number of stainless items made the traditional way, including the two pots in the photo above. None leak, and they will all pass muster. I particularly like my 1 pint stainless cup. Put it alongside any any tinware soldered cup and it looks the same, only it's probably more battered and beat up from the last six or seven years of use. There's no functional difference between "tinware" and stainless steel. Properly constructed, neither will leak -- until the tinware rusts out. :grin:

Well, it took me three years to fit those into the budget, upgrading from the old blue coated pans. I already spent this year's budget on a tent. Next year all items have to compete for priority with a fly.

Remember, anticipation is half the fun.

Or so they tell me. :(

I just received a trade kettle from Crazy Crow the other day. (one of the stainless models) the bottom solder leaks. (Of course :cursing: ) I wish I would have read this thread before ordering it. :nono: I guess it's one more item they will be getting back. :td:

Isn't it annoying!? I wanted to ask the Crazy people if they couldn't spend a minute filling water-holding articles with water to see if they leak. Of course they'd have to unwrap all their India imports, test them, dry them, repack them, and take on the liability that they may have done something wrong...

I've always gotten a small thrill out of their gourd canteens but all this is making me think it'd be a waste of time and money.

Bumping this back up.

Ive been trying to track down just how early these corn boilers/muckets can be documented. Like others have noted, there are not any in Collectors Encyclopedia of the Rev War, nor are there any in Echos of Glory. But there are a few documented examples from the Civil War era.

One is here: ve seen the lid, and the extrapolated rest of the item here: http://www.civilwarvirtualmuseum.org...mucket-lid.php

Note that the only surviving piece is the lid, the rest of the object in that photo is a modern reproduction extrapolated from the surviving lid.

There is another dug artifact mucket from the Kenesaw battlefield, and then one surviving intact object that was published in Francis Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia, Copyright 1963 pg 168,

So there are 3 from the ACW era, but I have yet to be able to take it any further back than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one of those tough things about archaeology...

We have lidded pitchers documented in the paintings of Vermeer. In The Milkmaid which is sometimes called The Kitchen Maid to the maid's right on the table is a blue, ceramic pitcher, with a lid. A pewter tankard was unearthed at Jamestown. BOTH document 17th Century lidded, handled, vessels for liquid, but for some reason a pot/kettle with a hinged lid and a handle... has yet to appear.

They had metal, ceramic, and wooden lids for pots/kettles, but so far what has been found was not attached. It seems rather straight forward to attach a lid with a hinge as well as in some cases having handle, or simply having making a short sided/straight sided tankard... that one could convert to camping use...

On the "historically safe" and less expensive side, I can make a wooden lid for my soldier's "can", if I think I need a lid. I can get a simple trade kettle and also make a lid... and I can get fancy if I wish and use a pot with a lid.

I don't see a need to have an item that was dedicated to "corn boiling" when it was made..., sometimes, after all, I may want lentils :wink:

LD

Thats the tough part of the entire hobby.

In some parts documentation does not matter in the least bit. In other parts, its supposed to right up until someone claims they cant have fun with all the rules, at which point any professed, supposed standards are out the window and everyone is dancing naked in the mud at woodstock....

The items on pg. 52 seem to be pails or buckets, might not be for cooking. Look at the figure of Washington's mess kit on pg. 94. On the right there is a tall slender tin cooking pot with a removable wooden handle on the side and a tin lid. Not that different from what we call a corn boiler, maybe?

Spence

Looking closer, I see that the largest pot on the left also has a lid.

Spence

Item 6 on pg 52 is a tinned iron mess kettle, that one is actually from the 1745 Siege of Fortress Louisburg. I carry an exact copy of that kettle, by Hot Dipped Tin. Its big enough to wear as a helmet. Mess kettles are so very well documented, yet underused, its not even funny. Back in the glory days of trekking a dozen longhunters would be fighing for fire space for a dozen trekker pots all cooking the same darn meal when one mess kettle would have fed them all.

But mucketts/corn boilers are vessels that are about the same size as a tin cup, that retain the cup handle, (or a pair of folding wire handles on some modern versions), have a hinged lid, and a bail for suspension over a fire. So I still have not seen anything that looks like that till post 1860's

Latest posts

Back