• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cookware questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i found several items at a thrift store i am considering buying but neeed some info on first is a skillet, about 8 inches diameter. it has a lid that is hinged with a small bail on top of the lid. theres some proof marks, looks to be french maybe on the lid. the handle is nice hardwood that has a brass threaded tip that screws into a bracket on back of the skillet. the inside of the skillet is lined with what looks to be silver. the body is magnetic i was wondering is this lining is safe to eat off of? it appears the same as some sterling coated table knives i did buy at the same place. the owners know nothing about these things. is it possible this is some sort of silver or maybe a very good tin job? if it is silver will it stand up to being cooked in? second they have several copper cannisters these are the nesting type they range from 4 inches in diameter to 10 all have lids with small bails. these are definately tin lined could a person solder ears to the side of the cannister and add a heavy bail to the sides to use as a cook pot/boiler? the bodies are very thick seemingly the same as 20 gauge or smaller steel i weld at my job how do i tell if the tin lining is good? they are for storing flour and sugar and the like in and you can tell they were used for this from residue in them also if i solder ears on will it mess up the tin job? and if so is it hard to retin copper?

thanks jason

Could it be plated? Silver was used to plate steel and copper stampings. look for a date on it. I'm thinking it was probably a serving piece - sauce or veggies maybe. so cooking at high heat may be a bad thing. the copperware could be used as cook-ware but I'm unsure that the tin would stand high heat, maybe soft solder will work- brazing will burn it I think.

i couldnt find a date on the skillet anywhere if it is ok to cook in itd be ideal the way its made theres room inside for the handle and some cooking gear as far a soldering all i have is a map gas torch here at home and some lead free silver solder i been toying with using in place of pewter i can get 5 cannisters and the skillet for 15.00

Don't know what you intend to cook but I think it would do OK with stews and soups and grits, etc. be careful and don't let it get hot without something liquid inside even oil.

The lining of the skillet could be polished tin or silver, but it could also be nickel or chrome plated. All of these are safe to cook on. Of these, tin is the softest lining. Tin would scratch/wear off pretty much like modern teflon linings. You have to use wood spoons/forks/spatulas - to keep from scratching through a tin lining. Silver, nickel, and chrome finishes are very hard/tough. It takes a lot to scratch/scrape through them. It also takes much much hotter temps to damage them. A tin lining can be melted off in a hot campfire if you are not careful.

The canisters could have either tin or nickel linings. No problems cooking in them. Instead of soldering or brazing on bale lugs, consider riveting them on. Personally, I would use copper rivets, but you could also use iron rivets. Standard finishing nails or 6 or 8 penny nails make good rivets. The little possible leaching/contamination from those rivets should not be of much concern - unless you are hyper hyper sensitive to copper exposure. The rivets will usually be well above the level of any food you would be cooking.

Check to see how much clearance you have in the nesting canisters. See if you have enough room to add bale lugs, and still have them nest together. Sometimes there just isn't enough room.

Instead of adding bale lugs, you could consider just drilling two holes through the sides, and poke your wire bale through them. This was a simple method, and often used.

Just some things to consider.

Mike

thanks for the replies guys i had considered copper rivets too i have some two part ones, shank and head on one side washer on the other would these work? i think ill go back and get the little skillet all i intend on cooking in it would maybe be some bacon and some fried corn bread with the leftover grease no serious use i may even use it in place of my boiler i appreciate it
jason

Those copper rivet/washers would work fine. Just clip off any extra length on the rivet, and go slow hammering it - so the end upsets and mushrooms out without "kinking" or bending the rest of the rivet shaft. A piece of heavy guage copper wire would also work. You just have to "rivet" a head on each end.

Have fun "tinkering".

Mike

Latest posts

Back