• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new corn boiler dissapointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotcha on the bail I have seen similar examples now that you mention it .
that cup that you showed is exactly one of the items I sent back. the lip on the rim was only half rolled and heavily corroded it looked like it had a solder ring under the lip and the corrosion was caused by a fluxing agent, and it never got soldered. I ordered 4 items and half of them were defective.....poor quality control.

In the small area where I live, in the past 15 years many manufactures have outsourced their manufacturing to foreign countries. All of them who have now no longer exist. Time to rethink our current American business model.

Ok, I riveted the ears on today using cut down copper tacks for rivets. I tinned the copper rivet inside the cup to prevent corrosion.
All is good again.

Now if it would just warm up a little so I can test it again.

Sorry I was away for the holidays so lost track of this thread...

Putting holes in the side would prevent bail from folding.

Um..., it doesn't on my version. I didn't drill the holes either, I just put the can over the end of a small log and hammered a nail through from the outside to make a hole.

You riveted the ears on so you will be fine. I was going for the "Joe Soldier" look with mine. :grin:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Sorry I was away for the holidays so lost track of this thread...

Putting holes in the side would prevent bail from folding.

Um..., it doesn't on my version. I didn't drill the holes either, I just put the can over the end of a small log and hammered a nail through from the outside to make a hole.

You riveted the ears on so you will be fine. I was going for the "Joe Soldier" look with mine. :grin:

LD

Ya! I was thinking about it backwards when I said that.
Thanks for the help.

Black Hand said:
Mountaintop Trading (1/2 gallon) http://www.mountaintoptradingco.com/index2.htm (under "Camp Gear")

Tin-lined India-made brass kettle. The lugs aren't correct, but too much of a nuisance to replace with "dog-ear" lugs...yet. Lots of "mileage" on that kettle.

Weighing in a little late here, but having looked at your picture and now the website, I believe that the brass kettle is exactly the same one imported by Crazy Crow. I suspect they have the same supplier, as many of their other items appear similar to CC's offerings. The difference is that their brass kettles are noticeably less expensive than CC's!

I have had good experiences with Crazy Crow with a recent exception. First, the buyer really should do the research before he buys, because much of their stuff is not authentic at all. However, they do have some good finds at decent prices.

Right before Christmas, I bought bought their "English Trade Kettle in Copper" and their "Revolutionary Copper Kettle". I was pleased with the trade kettle, but the Revolutionary Kettle arrived damaged, despite the shipping box being in perfect condition (it was sitting damaged on their shelves). I was otherwise pleased with the quality and sturdiness of the item, but decided that their dating it to the 1760s may be a little off and decided to return it to them for credit instead of exchange. I too am using Neumann's encyclopedia as a basis for this, although, I do recognize that it is not all-inclusive, and some thoughts have changed since initial publication.

Most of their metal ware is from India, and usually comes from them wrapped in Indian Newsprint. Further, everything I have ever bought from them smell strongly of moth balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, they are indeed similar and most likely from the same or similar suppliers. The only real difference was was able to look at the I purchased (at rendezvous). I'm not a fan of purchasing sight-unseen.

Previous post timed-out mid-sentence while it was being edited...
As far as I can tell, they are indeed similar and most likely from the same or similar suppliers. The only real difference was I could examine the one I purchased. I'm not a fan of purchasing sight-unseen.

I too prefer to touch and feel. I had never come across Mountain Top before, and their prices are indeed lower. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, do so; I got 2 of their steel kidney canteens and for more than a year, they just sat on my shelf lookin hansom. And they were too, till I tried to put and more to the point KEEP water in em. Neither were completely soldered along the bottom. Neither can hold water. Because I ASSUMED (I really hate that word and what it translates to, me bein a dork) it was what they claimed, I never thought to test it and now am f.u.b.a.r.. One of them I can use JB weld on (my buddy who is very accomplished w the medium was unable to get it to seal up) or just chalk it up to naivete and use it for expensive target practice.
I used to swear by CCT, Now it's more like swearing at them. Too bad as they have some good deals. If only some weren't spoiled by a lack of trust.

Hobo;
Stainless steel is hard to work on! It doesn't like solder. I had the same problem with one. Solution (play on words intended)?

Mix up some epoxy. Push enough into the joints with matchsticks or sandwich toothpicks, inch by inch, over the areas that are leaking and then some. JB Weld is a sorta similar thing but regular clear epoxy worked for me.

The wax, used in wood and in some fashions in leather, will ensure a lifetime of failures on the metal and you might as well shoot it as a target as you said in that case...

CC, If you decide later to get regular pots, this is what I got from Bob at Backwoods Tin:
Pots_zpsd63ead6c.jpg

The large pot is 5 cups, and the smaller is 2 cups -- all I need for one person. They're still pretty clean because most of my cooking with them thus far has been at home on the kitchen stove, just testing to find out what recipes they work best with.

colorado clyde said:
I gotcha on the bail I have seen similar examples now that you mention it .
that cup that you showed is exactly one of the items I sent back. the lip on the rim was only half rolled and heavily corroded it looked like it had a solder ring under the lip and the corrosion was caused by a fluxing agent, and it never got soldered. I ordered 4 items and half of them were defective.....poor quality control.

I was ordering that HBC pot which is odd but cool, and, decided to try one of those stainless large Trekker Cups with lid. Nice idea. Put together OK in looks -- perfect in fact, even the rolled lip and fit of the lid. Only problem? It leaks out of the side seam near the bottom. Can't fix THAT and heat things in it. Oh well -- back it goes.

That cup is a great idea. Suppose they wanted to make it look relatively period so soldered (welded) seams instead of just pressing it (like my pint stainless "drinking cup," but, that's where it all goes wrong and gets frustrating, yes. Better now than afield.

The only positive point is I spent $0.40 more than $150 even after I return this so no shipping fees!

Picked up that HBC pot (came period pre-dented in the side of course), a free-flow brass primer, a small flat horn, and an 80" long gun sleeve (I have a coupla long ones made from wool blankets but this was convenient).

As a follow up...

...they refunded me for the Trekker Cup w/lid that leaked out of the bag and told me to keep it.

Maybe I'll run into a tinsmith someday and he can repair it cause, ya know, they're all over the place. LOL Actually, I guess I could (or need to) just take it to a welder and have them do something...

OK, NOW you can cry Clyde!

:grin:

They refunded my money too plus shipping. very good customer service, however if they had any quality control they wouldn't need customer service and they would have fewer unhappy cutomers.

I think the things were on sale 'cause they were poorly made. And they don't want it back 'cause they know it. I thought "how hard can it be to look at and fill a can with water to see if it leaks?"

...but if the water is from The Ganges it's probably against international law to let even a single drop dry in something non-Indians (except Pakistanis) might drink or eat out of!

Back