• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new corn boiler dissapointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what all Bell had with him that so amused the two old hunters!

:hmm:

I like that, Clyde! I like the wood lid you made for it! Simple and effective. Looks like you soldered "ears" on for the bail handle???

:hatsoff:

cut ears out of an old tin pie plate, soldered on.
wire bail is a coat hanger. cut the lid from a piece of home sawed hickory. tomorrow she see's her first cup of coffee.

The cup is good and close enough, especially for $1, as well as pretty indestructible and sanitary. I still use toilet paper when participating in the hobby too, as do all of you. Other things matter more...

The other assorted kit depends on the period I'm doing including 16th, 17th and 18th C. pipes and assorted folding knives...

:wink:

I just referenced my collectors encyclopedia of the Rev. War to look up boilers. Now, I understand no one publication is going to be 100% inclusive or the final word on anything. But, this book is quite complete. If it existed in the Rev. War it is probably illustrated in this book.
That said, surprise :shocked2: they do not show a boiler. And they show very little that resembles them. From that, we can conclude :idunno:

We can conclude they should have had them. The kettles were the first things abandoned on march.

I like the thing I think it was Rod linked to earlier but the apparent links (?) hanging off of the bottom of the skillet seem a little odd to me...

It was a cold day about 15 degrees F. with a strong North West wind, perfect for a cup of coffee.
I had trouble getting the fire going, but soon had water on the fire

And then.....

The solder let go and I almost lost the whole works.The lid fell into the fire and is not somewhat burnt.
Somehow I think Stophel new?

How about just using it as a cup and setting it on the coals when brewing coffee?

If you're not worried aboud melting the solder holding the tin together anyway why not drill a couple of holes in the side near the top and pass your bail wire through those? Sure, it'll deteriorate there but should last many years with decent treatment. But is the cup really big enough to bother with all that!? Might go up one size for this implement...

Well, that's how I finished my cup a coffee.
but then you have to wait for the fire to burn down a bit. :idunno: sometimes I think my middle name is Rube Goldberg.

I'm all for experimenting.

However, remember those who lived then already drew the "box" for us, and we should try to not to "think outside of" said box...

Alden said:
I like the thing I think it was Rod linked to earlier but the apparent links (?) hanging off of the bottom of the skillet seem a little odd to me...

It's a loop, riveted to the lid, with a ring captured by the loop. Same as the well-known HBC pot. Seems odd to me, too, I would think you'd just grab the handle to lift the lid, but that's the way the original was, and they copied it directly. I don't have one, so maybe I'm missing something that would be apparent if I were to use it.

Rod

Uh Oh!

Oh well, back to the drawing board... :haha:

What did you use to solder your "ears" on with?? The whole cup is soldered together with tin. It can be gently heated with liquid inside without the solder coming apart. If you used something like TIX, well hot breath is almost enough to melt it, so it definitely would come apart near the heat.

It might be difficult to tin solder the ears on without making the cup come apart. A tinsmith could do it, but that's why they make the big bucks! :haha:

colorado clyde said:
Putting holes in the side would prevent bail from folding.
If I ever get this to work my next cup will be larger.

Clyde;
You went from 24 ounces to a pint or so and then lept up to a half a gallon...

First, doesn't have to keep bail from folding through holes in the side. Instead of just fish-hooking the wire inside try bending it into a tight spiraled circle enough so they can't pull out. They'll fold fine. And here's something you might be interested in...

"Lighten your load and let our 32 oz. Trekker's Cup Set do double duty as both cup and boiler. Constructed like originals which used the hot-dipped tin method, our new set is highly superior being made of brush finish stainless steel. They're otherwise identical to the originals but with the added advantage of being rust free! Reinforced edges on both the cup and handle make this set trail worthy and extra durable."

And it's on sale for a coupla days. Unfortunately, you guessed where! LOL

Good luck.

I used Oatley silver lead free solder ӢAlloy Composition: Tin, Copper, Bismuth, Silver
ӢAppearance: Silver Solid Wire
”¢Melting Range: 415° F to 455° F
I think it failed because it was soldered to the handle and not close to the liquid.

Back