• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my take on the traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spikebuck, you are certainly right, many people today don't...can't... understand the appeal of what we do. I'm an old man, and I've been hunting for almost 75 years, so I've seen firsthand the changes which have taken place in it over that time. I don't even like to think about it. I'm like most old people of any age, I'm not much impressed with the current culture compared to that of my youth, it has very little for the soul in it.

You are kind but wrong when you say I know how to do it more correctly. I don't. My kit gives me great pleasure, both the making and the using, it functions very well and is not too glaringly anachronistic, but I don't think I have a single item which is truly HC. It mostly works for me because I do my thing solo, not in a group with prying eyes. :haha:

The skills, now, I'm more comfortable with those, because when I'm in the boonies trying to live the old ways, the game keeps falling down, I stay mostly warm and dry, and I get more than I need to eat.

It's a marvelous sport/hobby, and I've gleaned more than my share of enjoyment and good health from it, but, truth be known, a large part of it is that when I'm at it, it allows me to escape for a little from the modern world. For me, that's a good thing.

Spence

Yes....most of us don't or can't appreciate what you've done or are in the process of achieving. It's very personal as to what and how you gain satisfaction in your hunting.....but, many aren't as dedicated in "the old ways" and really like to just hunt w/o complications.

First and foremost, I'm a hunter...have used many different "tools" to kill game....started w trapping animals, a slingshot, archery and finally firearms. Used the first 3 "silent" killers because guns weren't legal w/in the city limits.

Most who use MLers don't get involved in "the historical aspects", but shouldn't be pitied because of their lack of interest. To each his/her own?

When I go hunting, whether it be w/ a MLer or CF, the only difference is the gun.....and my attitude doesn't change either.

Not criticizing even in the least.....you hunt in a very satisfying way for you and others do it a different way which is equally satisfying to them.

To do it "your way" first requires an awareness and then the dedication to do it and all that is involved. Not all of us are so endowed w/ your motivation and various skills....you should be applauded for your efforts and perseverance....Fred

Spence, You are indeed a wordsmith, as evidenced by this post and your notebook. I feel sorry for those that have never been in the woods at the break of dawn, and seen it become alive and be accepted by it. I have came full circle in my hunting quests. At one time, success, to me, was a full limit or a deer on the ground, with huge antlers. Now, I look at far more of God's creatures than I harvest, and I use the word harvest instead of kill because I look at wild game as a renewable resource. And,I and my sons never take more than we can eat. One of my fondest memories was touching a live deer. I was hunting squirrels, with my two sons, with my back against a pin oak tree. I saw the button buck emerge from the brush about 30 yards in front of me, and began feeding on acorns as it came towards me. I had the wind in my face so I sat still and when he passed by my right side, I reached out and grabbed its right hind leg. He jumped about 4 feet and took off like a scalded dog. I don't think he ever knew what had him. I used to hunt with center fire guns, bolt action rifles, break action shotguns and single and double action pistols, but I haven't fired one of them in 3 years. Now, all of my guns are charged with 3Fg. Be safe and keep yer powder dry......robin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I said "my take", Fred. I understand completely that my experience with hunting and re-enacting, as with everything else in life, is what I make of it, and what's important to me has nothing to do with what's important to you or anyone else. We each are free to make what we choose of the game, and to decide whether to play at all. Nothing I ever post is meant to imply my way is best. It is for me, but only for me, and I understand that.

There are a gazillion takes on the hobby, every man has his personal one, but there is some overlap, so we can all enjoy chatting about various aspects of it. Mine is only one.

Spence

robin, I understand exactly what you mean. I didn't start out as a primitive BP hunter, and full game bags used to mean a lot more to me than they do now. I've always been an amateur naturalist, and even years before I started BP hunting I would get diverted from the hunt by some beautiful natural occurrence. As I grew older I came to enjoy the natural world in a different way, to see the hunt as something more than collecting meat. That took place over a lot of years, in many different ways, so that when I stumbled on BP hunting it filled a need I already had. Taking less game, in a more challenging way, spending more time in the woods, becoming more a part of the natural cycle had become increasingly important to me, so the switch to BP was the natural thing to do.

My point is that I was the same guy with the BP gear as I had been with the modern, the same with percussion as I was with flint, the same in camo as in a linen hunting shirt. I was undergoing a change in my philosophy as I grew older, and the BP lifestyle fit my needs, but wasn't the cause of the change.

Hard to put into words that make sense, but I'm very glad it happened. :wink:

Spence

Did I say different? You took my post as a criticism.......it wasn't and I said so.

I explained that many aren't aware or don't want to emulate your way of doing things....to each his/her own? Most don't want to complicate their lives w/ details that you do....nothing wrong w/ that?

Like I said....when I go hunting, the only thing different is the gun.....MLer or CF.

Whatever you're doing satisfies you....and that's the important thing. What others do is their concern. Nothing complicated about that and what each does should be respected and not criticized.....Fred

Let's back up one, Fred. I did not take your post as a criticism. If my response came across that way to you, it was unintentional, clumsy of me, and I'm sorry. I was agreeing with you, trying to say that we are all free to choose our own path, and that the one I chose is no better than any other. I know that from personal experience, because I spent a fair amount of time on several others before ending up on this one.

Spence

Sorry for the tardy reply, Spence. I've been back in your neck of the woods conducting the memorial service for my mother-in-law. That grievous chore kept me away from the Forum for several days. What a delight to read your excellent post, see your pictures, and glean even more of your wisdom and experience. We have all been blessed to have you for a mentor and teacher. God bless you! :bow:

Mr. Spence, while just now getting back into traditional muzzleloading after a 30 year abscece and being a traditional bow hunter, i can appreciate what you are doing!! The nostalgia of grabbing your smokepole 1 shot doing everything handmade and not commercial is a rare and dieing art. you sir are doing it! As i age im now 47 all my hunting buddies are in there 60s and up i keep looking back to the old days way before i was thought of. whether its the simplicity the challenge i find myself wanting to hunt simpler and simpler. ive been a hunting guide since i was 17 years old ive had the best and most modern bows but the hunts that mean the most are those in which ive carried my bear kodiak magnum recurve or my twisted snake longbow. i enjoyed the read

Spence. Re-read this post. In light of the post I just did on hunting in traditional clothing this was a great post for me to absorb. Thank You

You sir are where I strive to be, as I age the simpler times call strongly, the quiet of the woods the mysteries of the game I peruse and the blessings of a quick harvest. As I sit among the creators wilderness (ever shrinking)I think of those whom have went before me. I like the feel of a well built long rifle and all the thought and research that went into making the necessary equipment my self to utilize such a weapon. And the clothing of our fore fathers, the appreciation of adjusting to the weather or terrain we find ourselves faced with. May you be blessed with many more hunts , it would be a pleasure to share a small fire with a cup of tea and pleasurable conversation with you. R.C.BINGAMAN - AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Another one late to the party on this thread.

But someone has finally put into words what I was trying to get across in my post.
It's about a way of living, all of it. Not just the rifle or the hunt.

A very smart sailor once said "I am what I am and that's all that I am"

Spence I would be proud to learn from you.

Peace

Did that smart sailor also sing:

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man :rotf:

Dave

Latest posts

Back