• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my take on the traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With November and it's deer seasons right around the corner, I'm resurrecting this great thread.

Spence, you sang praises of this smoothbore's fit and architecture. If you mentioned the builder's name, I missed it. Would you mind sharing his identity with us?

Great thread, still.

Best regards, Skychief.

Yep Spence. You've pretty much nailed it. I'll also say that in my early days of this hobby, reading your essays was a strong source of encouragement and inspiration. No other type of hunting satisfies me quite like the use of black powder.

Very fine written description of your journey and the results, I am sure of many trial and error efforts. As you have stated there is a great feeling of satisfaction in the methods results. I also enjoy the fact that mostly everything I use in my endeavors is researched and made by be. There is something special quietly stalking the great mountains in a pair of mocs. made by me with the leather harvested by me from a previous hunt. Simple things like the bag , horn and accoutrements needed for the flintlock made by me is very satisfying. I think this is why we do it to connect to a simpler way of providing the needs of the soul to dis-connect from the madness of the modern. I often think I am being watched by those whom have went before me, I hope they are pleased with the journey. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Spence, you sang praises of this smoothbore's fit and architecture. If you mentioned the builder's name, I missed it. Would you mind sharing his identity with us?
The gun is the Carolina smoothbore made by Jackie Brown. It is 20 gauge, 46" barrel, octagon to round, large Siler lock, sliding wooden patch box, cheekpiece, single trigger, weight is 8 1/4 pounds. There is about 1/4-inch castoff. I bought it in June of 1997, and, to me, it seems to have been the perfect gun to get a little taste of what smoothbore shooting in the 18th century was all about.

Spence
Carolina_CloseK1.jpg

Carolina_CloseM1.jpg

Very nice Spence. Mr. Brown did a great job on her. You've certainly made great use of it. One day, I'll have a fowling piece with some cast to the stock. One day. Thanks for sharing with us.

Best regards, Skychief.

Back