• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my latest - enjoy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thank everybody for the kind compliments. This gun took about 2 1/2 years at a couple of hours a day. The engraving and the gold work on the barrels took 1000 hours. This gun will probably never be fired. It was sold before it was 1/3 done. It will eventually go on tour back east with other guns from makers such as Ron Scott, Judson Brennen,and Keith Castiell. An accurate estimate of the time involved is hard to make because I made two or three other guns during the same time span along with some engraving projects for clients. I plan to show a German Jaeger of similar quality at the next engravers guild exhibit. The Jaeger is being made by an relatively unknown maker who is one of the worlds best in my opinion. I am just engraving it.

is... is that... a velvet cheek rest??? :applause:
Did you go to the hogwarts school of gunsmithing?! :bow:

As many others have already stated, I just don't have the words to describe how beautiful your work is. You are a true artist of the craft. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Hi Jerry,
Not to wax too rhapsodic, but you do such a nice job of blending 17th, 18th, and early 19th century decoration into a recognizable "Huddleston" style. I think I could recognize your work without any attached label. To me, that is the highest compliment one artisan can pay to another.

dave

Jerry,

Glad to see you got that gun posted to show it off to everyone. And you certainly deserved the awards given to you at the ACGG/FEGA show in Reno, NV.
I voted for it, and thought it was incredible, and it was nice to see a Flintlock ML beat out the modern guns.
It was good to see you and talk to you at Reno this year. Hope to see you next year.

Mark Swanson

Yes that is a velvet cheek piece. I don't think I have ever seen one on any other gun other than French with the possible exception of one German Jaeger. I could not find over three or four French guns that had them. There is one in the NRA national firearms museum on line. Made by Fatou who worked with Boutet at Versailles for Napoleon. There is another one in the Met. The retainer ring is hand made of sterling and hand engraved. It sets in a recess.
Mark. It was nice talking with you at Reno also.

what's up with the 3-legged fox ? :wink:

jus kiddin, Jerry.
I'm too uninformed to comment on the style, but I sure can say your skill, craftsmanship, and commitment to excellence is perfectly obvious.
thanks for sharing.
usa.gif

/mike

Very elegant. 100 years from now that will be the centerpiece of a Julia auction and bring a new record price for a 21st century creation.

Awesome was the first word that came to mind, but that doesn't describe what this is. I have never seen anything quite like that before. Many of us could practice engraving, or whatever it took to build that gun most of our lives, and not be able to create anything near like that. That is just pure God given talent.

Didn't know what to say....mere mortals w/ even advanced skills couldn't create such a work of art. Jerry...you're a gifted individual who utilized your "gifts" through perseverence and a quest for perfection.....Fred

Hey Jerry
Was at a shoot this weekend and was told that you had these pictures here. Very nice old friend. I assume this is the gun we talked about last time you were at my place. Took a long time but what a gun. Don't let this be the last.

Steve

Latest posts

Back