• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My "Brookson"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! :thumbsup: You are a man of many talents, Swampy. Looks like you'll finish that beauty of a gun into an even more beautiful piece. Fantastic! (To both of you!) :bow:

Very nice--I like how Mike stamped the barrel :thumbsup:

Have fun

Getting scary now..

militiagun16.JPG

Hey Mike, if you are still watching this thread, could you elaborate on the butt plate. How thick, any specific choice of brass, did you anneal it, etc? I like the idea of being able to make a unique butt plate like that.

Capt. Fred said:
Hey Mike, if you are still watching this thread, could you elaborate on the butt plate. How thick, any specific choice of brass, did you anneal it, etc? I like the idea of being able to make a unique butt plate like that.
1/16" sheet brass, Hacked out with a hack saw. I'ts about 5" tall by about 1 7/8" wide. I rough shaped the buttstock then in letted the top of the buttplate and mounted the top screw. I then bent it down and set the bottom screw and started peening the hell out of it. About then I anealed for the second time and peened it some more. Next time I do this i'll solder a tab on the top tang and pin it instead of using the top screw.

Looks great the only thing I do not care for does not show , as for being cut back I think there is still a debate that early in the war some guns were not cut back but instead had makeshift plug bayonets, not the norm but also not out of the question, this has come up several times on several forums with enough info to give the idea some merit though far from being common, I would not be uncomfortable with the practice myself but I am not tied into the "has to be common" mindset, to me if we ignore all that was not common a large part of history is gone but caution need be taken when walking this path least we cause confusion and misslead anyone about somethings commonality, I always point out any "uncommon"items I might use and explain the whole concept. Again, a very nice gun Swampy, I hear that builder does a fair job most of the time :wink:

Man did I get lucky! I bought 3 or 4 nicely made Hickory rods from a member here years ago and thought I had used them all on previous projects. Well I found this one propped up behind my gun safe, the last one. 43" stick I just need to thin down a tiny bit to fit the ram rod pipes and it has plenty on the end to taper into a nice end. :thumbsup:

militiagun19.JPG

I was hopeing you had a stick, all of mine are crapola. :shake: That flint is one of Rich Pierce's.

Just saw this, Swampy. Looks like a great job by both Mike Brooks and you. :thumbsup: Be sure to show us the finished pics. GW

Pretty cool, this stock has a couple of imperfections, a few clusters of tiny knots thats going to add character to the finished stock. :thumbsup:

Back