• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My "Brookson"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:haha: I've been calling this project that, seemed right. It's a joke some will get some won't. :wink: :grin:

My New England style Militia gun that Mike Brooks so generously helped me with. After I traded off my North Star West Early English, I laid plans to build a New England style gun as I was hooked on smoothbores. Unfortunately while gathering the parts and figuring on a nice winter project, I got hit with health issues putting an end to that idea. I had sent the 41" barrel to Mike to hand off to Lowel and jug choke. Knowing my situation, Mike thought it silly to send the barrel back without it in a piece of wood and offered to do the bulk of the work and build an "in the white" gun for me. How could I say no to that?? :grin:

I gave him my LOP and other dimensions and just told him I wanted a gun that would be at home here in R.I at about 1790, bought a R.E.Davis Colonial lock and let him decide the rest. He hit it perfectly, the gun shoulders and my eye is looking straight down the barrel at the front sight, right where I want it. :thumbsup:

He put the 41" .20ga barrel into a blank of Cherry he had since 1985, hand made the ram rod pipes and butt plate. Not sure on the trigger guard. I wanted an internal cone on this gun, no vent liner. He stamped the proof marks into the barrel and surprised me with engraving on the plate, trigger guard and the names on the top barrel flat. :grin:

Now, I hope to sit here and duplicate best I can the side plate on NE5 in Grinslade's book on Fowlers, finish the metal parts and the wood the way I want it. She weighs in at 7 1/4 lbs a little heavier than I was hoping but it balances real nice and I'll have no problem shooting this gun. :thumbsup:

militiagun3.JPG

militiagun1.JPG

militiagun2.JPG

militiagun4.JPG

militiagun5.JPG

militiagun6.JPG

militiagun7.JPG

militiagun8.JPG

I love everything about this fowler Swampy, except one, it's not mine. :idunno: I can't wait to see her finished and on the test range. More pics in the future please. :grin:

Gorgeous piece Swampy! Congrats.

Will you be doing the finish work yourself?

She sure is a beaut!!!

Yep, I think I can handle it from here. :haha: :thumbsup:

Shes got a "better be on target before touchin the trigger" trigger too, just how I like em. :thumbsup:

Nice! She'll be real purty with the finish on. :thumbsup:
Nicest "Brookson" I've ever seen.

Very nice... the look is just perfect but if its supposed to be a NE militia gun the stock should be cut back 6" and a bayonet lug fitted.

Joe P

You really gonna make me do that Joe!? :haha: I knew you'd pick up on that. As I said I need to finish the gun but not sure thats something I really want to do to it.

WOW! I didn't think you'd get it till monday. Glad it arrived safely. Procced at your own risk with taking that butt[plate off....I had to use more than a couple vulgarities to perssuade it to lay down! :haha:
Glad it fits you, it fit me well so I figured I'd be close. Thanks for the oppurtunity to let me do what I wanted. I wanted to make a sheet brass buttplate like that for some time now. I learned alot and won't hesitate to do another in the near future.
You'll need to file down that front sight a bunch, but better too much to start with than not enough. I thought you might reconsider a rear sight since it's a turkey basher.

:haha: Okie!

I really want to shoot it first, see if I have no problem putting the load in the same place. If it proves to be a problem then I'll put a rear sight on it. :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch Mike, you gave me a great start on a sweet gun here. :thumbsup:

Well, as long as you're willing to pay the 1 shilling fine on muster day, you'll be ok... maybe the Captain will let you get away with carrying your grandfather's hanger from the Old French War...

Good luck... it has very good lines. I have a wrecked, cherry stocked, very long fowler here that I should photograph for you and Mike Brooks...I think you'd be surprised at some of the similarities.

Congrats Swampy!
Super job Mike!
Can't wait to see your work on it Swampy.

Excited, I was able to work some on the side plate, longer than I should have but shhh don't tell nobody!

I spent quite a bit of time looking over details on the guns in Grinslades book and settled on the side plate from NE5. It's different and I haven't seen it on any other gun so naturally I had to have it on mine. Not sure if what follows is the correct way but it made sense to me and was easy enough for me to duplicate the side plate.

militiagun9.JPG

Drilled one hole and placed a bolt through and clamped to drill the other hole.
militiagun10.JPG

militiagun11.JPG

I needed to know exactly how much space I was working with so I made a template and glued this to the brass.
militiagun12.JPG

militiagun13.JPG

I carefully drew it out then once I was satisfied I cut the plate out.
militiagun14.JPG

Here it is almost ready to inlet, I still need to clean it up with files and file a draft before I can but it's looking good, I'm quite pleased with how its coming out.
militiagun15.JPG

Latest posts

Back