• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1st attempt at browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Burns

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I plan on doing a rifle build in the future and to prepare for it I decided to give my GPR a facelift. I have an L&R replacement lock for it and did the browning on it. I like the way it turned out. I still have to prep the barrel for browning, I'm working on the furniture now. The lock on the left is from my TVM Leman which Matt made for me. The one on the right is the L&R for the Lyman. How'd I do?

104_0981.jpg

Look good to me, there is a wide range of end results of browning all of which are likely correct to some extent considering wear and tear, if HC is an issue browning would not be used in some time periods, a bit of research will sort that out if interested.

The Browning looks perfect.

However, would look better if you would have cleaned up the slot in the Left Lock hammer screw & get/make a screwdriver that fits it properly so you don't bugger it up again. :wink:

Keith Lisle

Another suggestion if I may.

How about browning the ends of the screws where they show through the lock plate. As it is now you have shiny silver dots in your side plate.

When I do tiny areas like that I simply heat the end of the screw with propane torch for three seconds that's 1.........2............3........ then touch some browning solution to it with a Q tip. If it sizzles then it is hot enough. Don't get it too hot or it will turn blue. Any browning solution will work. Repeat one or two more times. Let cool and oil. You can brown all of the screw ends (and that frizzen spring screw head) in about one and a half minutes. It'll look much more professional.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Browning was advertised as early as the 1750's. Maybe not common, but was available.
Hey Wick. Can you shoot me that reference for my files?

Thanks
James

Thanks fellas, yes those screws need to get done. I used LMF and am very pleased with it. Very simple to use.

Sorry, I didn't save it, but have seen the ad posted a couple of times. I want to say 1757, but am not sure. I will see if I can find it.

Jas, for what its worth..."Antique Pistol Collecting" by James Frith
(Arco Publishing;1960) notes that: "From Approximately 1780 to 1800, the duelling pistol was stocked to the muzzle and fitted with a barrel of octogonal section. Sometimes the upper half only was cut to octogonal section, the lower part being round. The barrel was treated with acid to produce what is called a brown surface.This was for two reasons, one to prevent rust, and the second to prevent the glint of metal attracting the attention of the opponent."
pp#26. He didnt foot note his statement.

Then theres a statement in "The Age of Firearms"by Robt Held (Harper and Brothers 1957)on pp#27 that as early as 1440-1470 matchlocks were getting barrels finished with exact octogon flats polished to either mirror finishes or "darkened to eliminate glare by any one of several methods of staining iron by artificial oxidation and acids", which sounds like browning. Again,no foot notes, but both of these authors were researchers and seem to have based much of their books on observations...Held further states (pp#110)that the Brown Bess was introduced with pickle browned barrels (in 1702?)but so were most barrels since the end of the 16th century. They called it "russeting", and an early reference to that is found in "The Gun Makers Rates", a portion of which Held inserts on pp#87 in the same book. This lists the established rate to be charged for many typical gun repairs including "Making clean and new russeting of a musket". These rates were established by a Royal Select Committee in 1631.

Dont know if any of this helps, but it does seem to indicate browning is a very old finishing technique.
TC

Thanks guys. Wick, if you come across it please send it along for my records if you would be so kind. I try to keep up with any an all documentation on finishes.

TC, the Frith quote comes in the timeline of what we know so far. As to the "russetting" I believe that to be a different finish altogether at this point. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...ost/774342/hl/russetting/fromsearch/1/#774342

thanks for the information.
This is always a very interesting subject.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Back