• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket or Percussion caps #11 magnum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sduve

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should switch to the musket cap. I already drop a lot of the #11"s. :hmm: The musket caps seem larger and easier to handle. Most of my shooting will be with FFF. Lots of it smallbore. What are the advantages of the two caps? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks, sduve

Musket caps have a stronger flame.I use them with 777.I used them with pyrodex when that was all you could get around here.They are easier to handle.They don't seem to make much difference in my .45 hawken so I use #11's,use them in the .50 cal. pistols too.50,.54,.58 rifles they seem to help.Still not sure they are nessisary though.With goex they aren't needed.Although the civil war was fought with them.Maybe they help if it's damp or really cold.They cost twice as much as #11's.Try them and see.

Back when I used Pyrodex, and American Pioneer Powder, I used musket caps, because of the higher flash points of these powders. They did the job, and yes, they are easy to handle. Now that I have gone back to Goex Black Powder, # 11's work just fine. When hunting I use a T/C Star 7 Capper. With this capper, # 11's are easy to handle, and cap up. When I used musket caps, I would just carry a few loose in my pocket. Because of thier larger size, they were easy to just grab with my fingers, and cap up.

The larger flash of the musket cap can play havoc with accuracy though. I think it starts pushing the ball forward before all the powder has a chance to light. If you don't absolutely need it for reliable ignition, I'd avoid them personally. I've tried swapping to musket nipples on a couple guns and could never develop a load in them that shot as well as with #11's.

Back