• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI # 11 Magnum Cap Not Fitting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishslap

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I bought several tins of CCI #11 caps (magnum and standard) recently. I have shot the magnums for years off a standard Lyman factory nipple on my gpr with no issues. Friday, I could get the cap on but it took 2-3 strikes to get it to go off. I could tell it was a fit issue since it was a bit smashed down after the first strike. Switched to a tin of the standard #11s bought at the same time and never had an issue. Nipple was replaced last year (with the same nipple from Lyman) due to the original finally flaring out. I’ve shot several CCI #11 magnums out of other tins with the new nipple with no issues.
So…anyone having any fit issues with recent CCI #11 magnum caps?

The fitment issue is in your head. A figment of your imagination. You're making up the problems with your CCI #11 primers.

Because CCI caps are perfect. Always have been. Always will be. Cuzz no one, ever, at any time, has ever had a single issue with CCI primers.

Of course, I'm joking. They're garbage now.

But stand by for the "There's Nothing Wrong With CCI Primers" comments.

File the nipple to fit the caps. Nipples are raw parts than need fit.
The OP stated that he hasn't had any past problems with either his nipple or his primers.

The problem arose with the new CCI #11 Wonder Primers. When you pull the trigger, you wonder if they're going to detonate.

Why should the OP, or any of us, turn our #11 nipples into #10.9 nipples or 10.5 nipples. Then that nipple is useless with #11 primers that actually fit correctly.

The consumer in me thinks CCI should make #11 primers that actually fit #11 nipples. Novel idea I know.

God invented Quality Control for a reason. But he's a busy man. Maybe he hasn't had time to swing by the CCI primer plant.

The OP stated that he hasn't had any past problems with either his nipple or his primers.

The problem arose with the new CCI #11 Wonder Primers. When you pull the trigger, you wonder if they're going to detonate.

Why should the OP, or any of us, turn our #11 nipples into #10.9 nipples or 10.5 nipples. Then that nipple is useless with #11 primers that actually fit correctly.

The consumer in me thinks CCI should make #11 primers that actually fit #11 nipples. Novel idea I know.

God invented Quality Control for a reason. But he's a busy man. Maybe he hasn't had time to swing by the CCI primer plant.
Nipples are cheap. Apparently, so are you. It only makes sense to have a few in the pouch that will fit what you have. Just wear on the forming dies the caps are made on can change dimensions.

I don't shoot a lot of percussion, but when I do...
I do what that famous youtube gun guy does and I lower the hammer onto the cap and press. Thus seating the cap.

Like him, full disclaimer if you can't manipulate the hammer and trigger at the same time with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction.

That sure beats any adjusting you might have to do. See if it works without a charge in the rifle.

Nipples are cheap. Apparently, so are you. It only makes sense to have a few in the pouch that will fit what you have. Just wear on the forming dies the caps are made on can change dimensions.
Wear on the forming dies? Really?

Tool steel that is hardened beyond hard being worn down by uber thin copper or brass sheet metal?

Those machines aren't stamping out quarter panels for a '57 Chevy.

The excuses for CCI, Pedersoli, and Pietta never end. Stockholm Syndrome.

As for being cheap, GD right I'm cheap. When the price of primers has gone up 500 percent in four years, every single solitary primer needs to work. Bass Pro had 1,000 primers on the shelf for $157.00. That's not inflation. That's being RAPED without a reac* arou**. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
I could get the cap on but it took 2-3 strikes to get it to go off. I could tell it was a fit issue since it was a bit smashed down after the first strike.
First thing I'd do is;
Take the lock out, maybe clean it a bit, then oil it.
You'd be surprised how gummy oil can slow a lock down, just enough to cause problems.
Besides, you can do it for free, sans a penny for the oil drops,,

Sensitive topic I see. Thanks for the ideas. I’ll probably check another tin and then waste my time giving cci a call. Definitely not going to file the nipple unless I run out of other caps that fit. I might twist some steel wool around it a few times. The non magnums fit and fired fine, as well as tins of magnums from earlier batches. It’s a cap issue vs the rifle in my opinion. I was just wondering if others have experience this.

take a thin blade knife and split the bottom of the cap. I have had no issues with CCI, I would still buy them.
Nit Wit
Not a bad idea. I haven’t had any issues until this batch. It was very noticeable between the mag vs non mag tin when shooting.

Wear on the forming dies? Really?

Tool steel that is hardened beyond hard being worn down by uber thin copper or brass sheet metal?

Those machines aren't stamping out quarter panels for a '57 Chevy.

The excuses for CCI, Pedersoli, and Pietta never end. Stockholm Syndrome.

As for being cheap, GD right I'm cheap. When the price of primers has gone up 500 percent in four years, every single solitary primer needs to work. Bass Pro had 1,000 primers on the shelf for $157.00. That's not inflation. That's being RAPED without a reac* arou**. Plain and simple.
The dies that form cartridge cases certainly change dimensions, and need changed periodically

So CCI needs to recall ALL the offending primers and replace them. Right! Like that's going to happen. I say file the nipple or just go without caps. It's just that simple.

So CCI needs to recall ALL the offending primers and replace them. Right! Like that's going to happen. I say file the nipple or just go without caps. It's just that simple.
I agree.

Let's all spend an extra 500% on cap pricing and file down our nipples so we can remedy what CCI should be doing at the factory through Q.C.

Got it.

I've had problems with CCI caps in the past but that's because I'm using a nipple other than the one from the factory (MSM Spitfire Magnum). Apparently, the outside diameter of #11 nipples is not the same. I had a similar experience with the first strike seating the cap and the second igniting.

However, the OP stated that he's using the factory nipple for his GPR. Unless Investarm has started making them differently, the problem is the cap or batch.

I have some older CVA caps that once fired, won't come off the nipple. I bought a set of Electronics Side Cutters from Harbor Freight ($7.99) so I could cut a slit (or more if needed) in the side to help them mushroom out. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I found a local source of Remington #11s so I've been using them. They fit every nipple on every gun I have!

Good Luck!

Walt

Attachments

• 57789_W3.jpg
    57789_W3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Back