• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if its the cap maker I'm using or what cause the maker is not one from the .22 reloader site its an older one that was manufactured by someone else who's name is eluding me at the moment cause it's morning and I'm at work but when I get home I'll take some more pics. All I do is use the cap maker and nothing else , they just come out looking like nice little 'jewls'
Forgot I had these .........

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpg
    RenderedImage.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • RenderedImage.jpg
    RenderedImage.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I bet you could reuse those caps you make...
Mine disintegrate. Much more so than commercial caps.

@Cliffdweller yours is probably a Tap a Cap. Still available at DGW. The Sharpshooter is virtually identical and I suspect are Ta a Caps that he bought up at a good price. I bought the Sharpshooter just to get the compounds too.

Mine disintegrate. Much more so than commercial caps.

@Cliffdweller yours is probably a Tap a Cap. Still available at DGW. The Sharpshooter is virtually identical and I suspect are Ta a Caps that he bought up at a good price. I bought the Sharpshooter just to get the compounds too.
The one I have is made by Forster Products. It’s made to go in a press and the piece on the right to go in a shell holder, although when I used it, I just screwed it into the top of my press and just tapped it from the top without putting the other piece in a shell holder I’m still not even sure what size it takes. I have not gone through my shell holders to see if I have any that fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The one I have is made by Forster Products. It’s made to go in a press and the piece on the right to go in a shell holder, although when I used it, I just screwed it into the top of my press and just tapped it from the top without putting the other piece in a shell holder I’m still not even sure what size it takes. I have not gone through my shell holders to see if I have any that fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
So, since I started this thread, a lot has happened. I set up the cap maker I had in an arbor press and punched out some caps made from Foster’s aluminum, some .005 copper, and some .006 sample brass from TMF member Songwriter (THANK YOU!!). I also procured an eye dropper bottle and mixed up a batch of 5:1 acetone/Duco to fix my Prime-All into the caps. I also made myself a mortar and pestle for breaking up Prime-All (powder L2) out of a concave bottom shot glass and a flat-backed glass gem epoxied to a dowel with a turned down pointed end for packing the wet Prime-All.
I originally set up the punch on the ram of my press with the die on the bottom. But quickly learned that it would be better with the die on the ram, and the punch on the bottom, so the formed caps could be harvested on the bottom. Eventually I will make a special punch holder that has a cap exit hole in the front. For now, my die held with a magnet to the ram and my punch hand held on a block seems to work well. And so much easier than punching with a mallet.
I found the Foster’s beer cans to be a lot better than soda can aluminum. And I think the cap to nipple retention to be better still with the .005 copper I got on eBay. But the staying power from the donated .006 brass was definitely the strongest. I’d say any of the aforementioned materials are good for caps, although I personally feel the copper and brass to be better for retention on the nipple.
I definitely like the 4:1 acetone/Duco mix for fixing the priming compound. 1 drop per cap is recommended, but I’ve heard 1-2 is ok. I’m going to try 2 and will get back with results. In the 20 shots I fired over the weekend. I only had one FTF. So, I feel as a novice cap maker, that’s pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3574.jpeg
    IMG_3574.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3572.jpeg
    IMG_3572.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ironwrx Does the arbor press ram have a hole drilled into it from the bottom? If so how big is it? The reason I asked is you can get a threading die holder that may be able to have the stem fit that hole. The cap maker die has a body of .980 ( at least mine did) That would fit into a one inch die holder and is held with set screws. The die holder is only about $10 or so and could solve some problems. In my drill press setup I used a 2x4 With a shallow 1" hole drilled in the center and a 5/16" hole drilled all the way through the board in the center of that. I used big washers as hold downs to hold the punch to the board and clamps to hold the board to the table.

Attachments

• DCP_1049.JPG
    DCP_1049.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DCP_1055.JPG
    DCP_1055.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 0
Ironwrx Does the arbor press ram have a hole drilled into it from the bottom? If so how big is it? The reason I asked is you can get a threading die holder that may be able to have the stem fit that hole. The cap maker die has a body of .980 ( at least mine did) That would fit into a one inch die holder and is held with set screws. The die holder is only about $10 or so and could solve some problems. In my drill press setup I used a 2x4 With a shallow 1" hole drilled in the center and a 5/16" hole drilled all the way through the board in the center of that. I used big washers as hold downs to hold the punch to the board and clamps to hold the board to the table.

N.H. Schmidt- thanks for weighing in on this. Yes the ram of the arbor press has a 1/2” hole in it. I have seen someone either here, or on some other forum who suggested the die holder as well. It’s definitely on my “to do” list. Luckily I also have a lathe and milling machine, so I plan on turning a die holder adapter myself. I’m sure the commercial ones are cheap enough, but homemade is cheaper still. And I do enjoy making my own tools. The punch holder (which is usually the die block) will have an angled hole in it from the center under the punch, to the front where the caps will come out. This is my idea how to make it. I’ll post when I get it made.
It seems kind of strange that the percussion cap punch and die makers, don’t make one that would work in a Lyman, Lee, RCBS or other standard reloading press. Oh well. I guess it’s all part of the fun. Happy cappin’ - Jon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
First let me thank @Songwriter for sending me samples of his sheet brass to test! I made a batch of caps using the sheet brass and aluminum from a can of Dos Equis and my die and punch from 22 reloader.

First observation- the caps punched from the brass sheet were better looking than my beer can caps. They also required a heavier rap with my mallet to form the caps - not a problem, just a noticeable difference to punching caps from beer cans. After I punch the caps I put them through an 1/4” aluminum plate using a punch to push them through and flatten the bottom of the cap. See pics below.

IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

I took them to my range yesterday and it took a lot of effort to get the brass caps onto the nipple of my rifle and a revolver. I think the thicker material results in a slightly tighter opening and I really had to work at getting them onto the nipples. Once I got them on they all worked perfectly. My beer can caps went onto the nipples easily and all caps fired flawlessly.

Interesting results from both type caps - most of the brass caps had holes blown through the top although a few stayed whole. The beer can caps all had gaping holes in the top - they are shown in the bottom of the following picture. I don’t see any way to reuse either of these type caps.
IMG_1801.jpeg

In conclusion I think I will stick with the aluminum caps simply because they are easier to put onto the nipples. Neither of these caps will work using my 3D printed cappers, but I normally will only use homemade caps on my rifles and stick with factory caps in my revolver.

@Songwriter, thanks again for sending me the brass to test and I am going to send you some samples of both type of caps and you can prime them and test them yourself :thumb:

Gary

I second doubling the can stock. Just use two layers in the punch and the caps will be much stiffer and hold on to the nipple. I'm using doubled caps on revolvers with original nipples and having no trouble at all.
Another member said this works fine out of a #11 cap maker for the #10 caps, does it or will we need the # 10?

Last edited:
Interesting how we each want to reinvent the wheel. Just follow the directions. If your concerned with primer compound falling out. Either use the duco cement method. Or as I do place a single drop of alcohol in each cap, Wait a couple minutes for it to saturate the compound and using a #12 nail ground flat, punch and tamp a single layer of gift wrapping tissue into each cap. Let dry and fire away.
You will experience flying aluminum shards, so WEAR YOUR SAFTY GLASSES.

Back