• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how we each want to reinvent the wheel. Just follow the directions. If your concerned with primer compound falling out. Either use the duco cement method. Or as I do place a single drop of alcohol in each cap, Wait a couple minutes for it to saturate the compound and using a #12 nail ground flat, punch and tamp a single layer of gift wrapping tissue into each cap. Let dry and fire away.
You will experience flying aluminum shards, so WEAR YOUR SAFTY GLASSES.
I actually don’t want to reinvent the wheel, I just want to reinvent the percussion cap. 🙄. It is good to hear what others are doing, and add their experience to my consciousness and figure out what works best for me. Thanks to all for your input.

I tried the drop of alcohol and it didn't work. The acetone and duco did though. But the duco method came from here on this forum. Never mentioned in the directions.
I’m wondering if others have experienced this: I found a 4:1 Acetone/Duco mix tends to bead up and roll off of the Prime-All powder mix. It eventually soaks in, but it seems to take longer to absorb than straight Acetone does. I’m going to try two drops of the mix, and see how it works. Very impressed with the mix though.

I’m wondering if others have experienced this: I found a 4:1 Acetone/Duco mix tends to bead up and roll off of the Prime-All powder mix. It eventually soaks in, but it seems to take longer to absorb than straight Acetone does. I’m going to try two drops of the mix, and see how it works. Very impressed with the mix though.
I use acetone and single base smokeless powder mixture and noticed the same thing when I sealed the caps- seemed to bead up a bit and I dropped a 2nd drop to make certain the priming mixture was covered. I switched to more acetone and less powder and it soaked in much better and all the caps go bang!

Back