• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowry 50 cal Information

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I’m picking up a Mowry 50 cal curly maple stock, steel reciever muzzleloader, anyone able to give me some info on them, he had a spare hammer spring and plenty of accessories to come with it, the curly maple is just gorgeous, good starting loads for the rifle? Plan on using it for deer hunting. Any and all info would be appreciated thanks!

You'll need a .495" dia. RB for the Mowrey. I use a .018" pillow ticking patch and 50 - 60gr. FFg for short range target work. As per Mowrey's instructions, you shouldn't exceed 95gr. FFg. Btw, they are accurate rifles. I hope yours performs well for you!

I read that Mowreys started out as brass receivers (the ones you mostly see). BUT the breechplug, that holds the barrel to the receiver, was part of the casting. Sometimes a hard knock would break the barrel clean off the receiver. That's why Mowrey went to steel casting instead.

You'll need a .495" dia. RB for the Mowrey. I use a .018" pillow ticking patch and 50 - 60gr. FFg for short range target work. As per Mowrey's instructions, you shouldn't exceed 95gr. FFg. Btw, they are accurate rifles. I hope yours performs well for you!
Awesome, I appreciate it, I’ll grab some .495s and I’ll use a thicker ticking, hoping to shoot a deer with it before season ends! Is yours a brass receiver or steel? I picked it up and it was brass but I bought it, rifling is sharp and clean, is it possible to get a musket cap nipple for it? Since #11s have been hard to come by?

I read that Mowreys started out as brass receivers (the ones you mostly see). BUT the breechplug, that holds the barrel to the receiver, was part of the casting. Sometimes a hard knock would break the barrel clean off the receiver. That's why Mowrey went to steel casting instead.
Yeah I’ll have to be careful mines brass!

Back