• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mn. blackpowder hunt 2017

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Dan, he may not be big, but he is mighty!

Both of us passed up many bucks with bow and frontstuffer waiting for a whopper and as a result we got to experience a lot of time in the woods seeing critters just do what they do. My highlight was Sunday morning watching those two Tom turkeys locked beak to beak fighting for an hour, within a few feet of my ladder stand for quite some time, while the third one ran in circles around them like a referee making a racket like I've never heard before. I hung it out to the end passing deer right until dark of the last day, so I guess the images of that turkey fight will have to be my trophy for the year. Yours will taste better!

Hey...I wonder if your buck broke that other spike off fighting Mr Mess and in the process broke off Mr Mess' right side winning the mighty battle?

Mr Mess Before fighting the mighty spike:

37272945886_e249f4ff44_c.jpg

Mr Mess hanging his head in shame after going down in defeat to the mighty spike:

37944899886_c7f08da6b8_c.jpg

:wink: :grin:

Mike

Thanks for posting pictures of Mr Mess..Hope he makes it to next season
The first week of November he looked big and blocky at 30 yards from the ground.
Found it interesting on this late season hunt how on certain days the small game was way more active.
(turkey,squirrels,woodpeckers,etc.)
Had lots of eagles in the area also.
Had 2 shooting opportunities on coyotes.
On one ground sit I had 8 different squirrels feed past me late afternoon crossing a ridge.(gray and fox)..
bumper acorn crop which helped.
one afternoon the 5 toms I was chasing this spring walked by..glad to see they were all still there.
Yet other days you couldn't buy a tweety bird.
That's hunting.

22fowl said:
Had an unnerving accidental discharge during the spring turkey hunt..the hammer stall stays.
Great photos :hatsoff:

One could still have an accidental discharge with a stall present, as one can forget to install the stall as one can equally forget to remove it! :thumbsup:

You know your rifle better than me :hatsoff:

B.

Thanks Brits...My normal plan is to pull the stall once I'm set on stand.
I hammer stalled a big lone box car doe earlier in the hunt..Some lessons stick.....

For grins after one evening hunt back at the farm house I tested to see if just the flint strike with no pan powder would ignite the rifle..
Had lift off on the third hammer fall.

The accidental discharged happened on my fowler due to little bits of debris behind the trigger pivot post.
The trigger set felt light but didn't realize it was on edge.
Ever try to catch a fowler flying across your lap.
The second time it happened I couldn't.
retired the fowler for that hunt and used my trusty backup...The fix was remove the trigger plate and clean debris.Problem solved.
The fowler was a couple years old and been hunted hard..duck marshes,grouse woods etc.
I try not to drive stock pins out any more than needed.
Lesson learned that stuck.

Trusty backup on that hunt.

P5040516_zpst3ydjfhl.jpg

I spent as much time in the woods as I could during Virginia's early MLer season without seeing anything I was willing to pull the trigger on. The BIG bucks ARE around, it just a matter of will power, patience and luck. Hopefully, patterns will have changed again after Christmas....

That NE shotgun converted to flintlock is a peach! TC SHOULD have made them that way.

Keep after them...late season bucks are not pushovers..

I only know of one other flint T/C New Englander
that ones in Alaska...

Here's the New englander before the makeover..
this gun hooked me on blackpowder.

IMG_0194_1_zps8d637ebf.jpg

I have a Tree Hawk like that as well as a New Englander with shotgun barrel, but haven't been able to bring myself to make the conversion. A flint New Englander is something TC SHOULD HAVE MADE.

Latest posts

Back