• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Day Hunting Deer with Muzzleloader!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
We are in the midst of "Alternative Season" here in Missouri, an abomination that used to be strictly for muzzleloaders, but now anything goes, including short barreled AR platforms with detachable stocks. That's a rant for another day, however. For the first time in a week, it didn't rain, and the sun actually came out. Grabbed my Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .54, and headed for the woods. Since the ground was wet, moving through the timber was quiet. I walked right up on a couple of coyotes, who saw me 10 yards away and bear a hasty retreat. Crept another 100 yards or so, and disturbed a 10 point buck laying in his bed enjoying the sunlight. Got a pic (blurry due to cheap android phone) of him as he stood up to see what I was. He never did run after I took a couple of bad photos and I continued on my way. Snuck around the edge of a standing corn field, and walked right into a group of turkeys. The woods were alive with activity as all the critters were relishing in the sunlight and warm temps after a dreary week of cold, wet yuck. Got to my stump, spread out my plastic trash bag (keeps a guy from getting a wet booty), and had a seat. Not there 2 minutes before eight or nine deer, including a couple of smaller bucks, ambled by around 30 yards away. Again, got a blurry pic of one of them as she walked into the sunlight. A little while later, a large buck followed in their tracks. I sighted on him, but had zero intent of pulling the trigger, just wanted to know that I could have. Not too long after, that same group of turkeys surrounded me, and were pecking around the woods making racket. Also saw a bunch of squirrels, a bunny, and a big hoot owl landed in a tree near me, making his (her?) owl sounds. About 15 minutes before it got dark, I made the 3/4 mile walk back out to my truck, having thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. I was doubly glad to not be trying to drag a deer up out of the timber! It was a great day of hunting!

Attachments

• 20231229_143410.jpg
    20231229_143410.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 8
  • VideoCapture_20231229-154123.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231229-154123.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231229_153021.jpg
    20231229_153021.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231229_143359.jpg
    20231229_143359.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
What a wonderful day you put in out in the woods. You saw a lot. Gotta love sneaking around when the rain stops and the sun comes out. I'm happy for you.

You're a stronger willed man than I am. If I had a tag that first big buck would be residing in my freezer now.

Alternative season with AR's? That sounds like fast way to eradicate the deer population.

Last edited:
Alternative Season includes any method, except fixed stock rifles with a barrel longer than 16". Handguns, short barreled rifles with detachable stocks, crossbows, etc. It used to be we had to buy a muzzleloader or rifle tag. We could use a muzzleloader during rifle season, but then we had the woods to ourselves during Black Powder Season. Now, anything goes, and we get the same orange mob in the woods carrying the latest up to date, scoped, plastic stock rifle, errrrrrr, "handgun" chambered in 300 Blackout or something. Our deer management policy is driven by car insurance lobbyists who are tired of paying claims for deer/car collisions. In most counties, we also have unlimited anterless tags. We have selfish fools which think you can't kill deer quick enough, comparing them to rats, so they take full advantage of those unlimited tags. This area I hunt is a remote public area, and it is only a matter of time before it is ruined by the policies of our Dept. of Conservation. Then I will be done hunting forever.

Alternative Season includes any method, except fixed stock rifles with a barrel longer than 16". Handguns, short barreled rifles with detachable stocks, crossbows, etc. It used to be we had to buy a muzzleloader or rifle tag. We could use a muzzleloader during rifle season, but then we had the woods to ourselves during Black Powder Season. Now, anything goes, and we get the same orange mob in the woods carrying the latest up to date, scoped, plastic stock rifle, errrrrrr, "handgun" chambered in 300 Blackout or something. Our deer management policy is driven by car insurance lobbyists who are tired of paying claims for deer/car collisions. In most counties, we also have unlimited anterless tags. We have selfish fools which think you can't kill deer quick enough, comparing them to rats, so they take full advantage of those unlimited tags. This area I hunt is a remote public area, and it is only a matter of time before it is ruined by the policies of our Dept. of Conservation. Then I will be done hunting forever.
What part of Mo. are you in?

Latest posts

Back