• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mince meat, fruit cake and figgy pudding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t see many folks making Mincemeat Pie anymore. My grandma always made them and they were delicious.
I've made it once, with venison and beef suet, because a very nice coworker was lamenting about how she'd not had it as such since her grandma passed..., the filling tasted OK to me... she said she loved it, but retired so she never had to worry about me making it for her a second time.

LD

That time of year
I have noted people who like one like all three, them that don’t like one doesn’t like them all.
Who eats these?
I live all three but have to eat it alone as my wife kids and grand kids won’t touch it
I made a homemade fruitcake once figuring it would be better than the nasty store bought. Nope, it was still heavy and way too sweet for my taste.
so, you'll have to put me in the no column.

My fantastic, and very tolerant, 80 year old Pennsylvania Dutch wife is cooking a family-traditional mince meat pie now. Unfortunately, due to my hip problems, this year's meat is beef rather than venison (typically neck meat). I picked the apples off the tree today. It's hard to find lard, but it sure makes the best, flakiest crust. Our recipe calls for Mogen David wine, but in New Hampshire the state liquor stores don't allow its sale, so we are going with "Sweet Walter Red" Hammondsport, NY wine instead. Back 60 years ago, my wife's grandfather taught me to always pour a liberal portion of bourbon whiskey on it before serving... it's a meal all by itself! Fruit cakes and figgy pudding type foods are for wimps

The proper Yorkshire way to eat fruit cake is with cheese. Wensleydale is considered by many to be the ideal choice.
One fifth of my weight is due to living on fruitcake from November to January.

What is this curious cheese you speak of.

Eat it on the side at room temperature? Melted on the delicious fruitcake?

Consider my interests piqued.

Thanks.

I've made it once, with venison and beef suet, because a very nice coworker was lamenting about how she'd not had it as such since her grandma passed..., the filling tasted OK to me... she said she loved it, but retired so she never had to worry about me making it for her a second time.

LD
Grandma on my mothers side used to make them at Christmas. She passed away more than 50 years ago. I haven’t had the pleasure of mincemeat since but I still remember the flavor and that gives me a great idea!

My grandma on my father’s side used to make a very dark fruitcake, almost black it was. She would core and spice an apple, place it in the center of the cake and pour a jigger of, I believe, bourbon instead of rum over the cake and into the the cored apple, wrap the whole cake in cheese cloth and store it in a tin. She would refresh the cake and apple with more bourbon each week or so for about a month. If I remember correctly she started the whole process sometime in October and by the time Thanksgiving rolled around she would allow us to have a serving.

You can't hardly find minced meat anymore.
You have to make it for yourself. I make a batch of venison Mincemeat every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas pie. I also make turnovers for breakfasts during the deer season.

I got the recipe from my nephew's wife that was her mothers. She was an old native from NH and the recipe goes back generations in her family.

The stuff in supermarkets is not mincemeat at all.

What is this curious cheese you speak of.
Wensleydale is one of the more famous English regional cheeses. It received a boost when it featured in the Wallace and Gromit films. You just cut a slice of cake and a thin slice of cheese and put the cheese on the cake and eat them together.

In the UK "mince pies" are made with mincemeat. Mincemeat has not contained meat as such since the middle of the last century but usually included suet. In the last few years this ingredient has been dropped and most commercial mincemeat is actually vegetarian.

Definitely not vegetarian mince meat pie and it's just about ready to go into the oven..... The wife decided to bake this one for my 83rd birthday; it sure beats a cake!
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 4.43.39 PM.png

Latest posts

Back